Hogwarts and the Floo Network connectivity

#1OzymandiasIVPosted 8/19/2012 10:53:59 PM
So, Sirius was able to get his head into Gryffindor's common room numerous times in GoF and OotP, Harry was able to get his head out twice to Grimmauld, and Umbridge was able to get her hand through from her office to the common room.

Does this seem like a major breach of security to anyone else?

Also, I've never seen it suggested anywhere that it is possible to allow head-only travel between fire-places, but to restrict full body travel. Has this ever been explained? If not, it seriously invalidates Draco needing the vanishing cabinet in HBP and Harry not just stepping into Grimmauld Place at the end of OotP.
---
Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sort of good at something.
#2J_BeastleyPosted 8/20/2012 1:34:42 AM
Valid question. Tagging.
---
Meh.
#3CNashPosted 8/20/2012 3:50:19 AM
I'd speculate that greater security measures were put in place at the end of OotP, when the Ministry finally realised that Voldy was back, and so Draco couldn't just Floo everyone in at the end of HBP.

---
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
#4bakkahentai8600Posted 8/20/2012 7:53:11 AM
You can Floo to Hogwarts...They do it after Christmas to get back to Hogwarts. The Floo Network is heavily monitored, but it became especially watched during HBP when they went to war.
---
Previously the_sage2600
I'm baaaacccckkkkk
#5OzymandiasIV(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2012 9:55:46 AM
So then why couldn't Harry have just moved the rest of his body through the fire place to find Sirius? I doubt he cared enough if he was caught by the Ministry, and that particular fireplace wasn't being watched, anyway. I also doubt that he wouldn't have been able to think of that option, *much less* Ron or Hermione.
---
Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sort of good at something.
#6bakkahentai8600Posted 8/20/2012 11:11:15 AM
OzymandiasIV posted...
So then why couldn't Harry have just moved the rest of his body through the fire place to find Sirius? I doubt he cared enough if he was caught by the Ministry, and that particular fireplace wasn't being watched, anyway. I also doubt that he wouldn't have been able to think of that option, *much less* Ron or Hermione.

I think it is only special circumstance that people can Floo in and out of Hogwarts. Sort of like Apparating probably.
---
Previously the_sage2600
I'm baaaacccckkkkk
#7Reapers_FuryPosted 8/20/2012 11:25:45 AM
yea most likely whoever the current headmaster/mistress is would have to allow it, as they would be in control of the wards. I would think the headmaster, followed by the deputy if the headmasters magical signature isnt detected within the wards, would be the only people who could do it.
#8CNashPosted 8/20/2012 1:12:19 PM
But Umbridge was Headmistress of Hogwarts at the time, and her fireplace was specifically stated as being unmonitored. It's logical to assume that it could have allowed full-body transportation, and Harry didn't take advantage of it for whatever reason.

(Remember that Harry is only human; he doesn't have the benefit of hindsight, and people do have the tendency to forget basic things at stressful moments.)

---
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
#9ChocolatlPosted 8/20/2012 10:13:09 PM
CNash posted...
But Umbridge was Headmistress of Hogwarts at the time, and her fireplace was specifically stated as being unmonitored. It's logical to assume that it could have allowed full-body transportation, and Harry didn't take advantage of it for whatever reason.

(Remember that Harry is only human; he doesn't have the benefit of hindsight, and people do have the tendency to forget basic things at stressful moments.)

Most likely he wasn't thinking--he was really, really good at not thinking.

But also, he probably thought it would take too much time, and he wasn't sure his friends would come with him, which meant he'd have to go back for them.

Even if he had gone there physically, who's to say he still wouldn't have been snowed by Kreacher's lie? It seems likely that he would.
---
Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.--Mark Twain
#10bakkahentai8600Posted 8/20/2012 11:28:24 PM
CNash posted...

Well, don't forget that Ron and crew left the Inquisitorial Squad behind in there and having to vocally and clearly state the secret headquarters when your enemies are right there will not work in your benefit.

Plus take into account that by then there was most possibly being a man hunt for Harry and crew by the Inquisitorial Swuad, so going back up to the castle wouldn't help...and it would take time. They were close to Aragog's nest if I remember right, and it took Harry and Ron like half an hour to reach there. So, take into account how long it took to get there, the enemies waiting, and the unreliable Floo Network that might only possibly work out, it was just easier and strangely safer to fly there instead.

Plus don't forget, someone can hijack you on the Floo Network to get where you're going and, yeah, with the Squad on the loose it wouldn't be wise to use the Floo Network. Look at how well it wouked on in DH for instance.
---
Previously the_sage2600
I'm baaaacccckkkkk