My PC setup: Windows 7 Ultimate x86, 2gb RAM, 1.8 GhZ dual-core processor, 360gb hard drive @ 7200 RPM, GeForce 9500 GT video card
My Deus Ex setup: GOG.com version, Kentie's Launcher, New Vision, Shifter, 1280x800 resolution
My problem: Whenever NPCs are firing guns, the game lags really badly.
What I've tried to solve the problem:
* turn off Detail Textures
* set color to 16-bit instead of 32-bit
* disable New Vision
* Switching between Chris Dohnal's Direct3D 9 rendering engine and his OpenGL engine.
* Switching the process affinity for DeusEx.exe from two cores to one core, and back again.
What I haven't tried:
* using Kentie's Direct3D 10 rendering engine
* using one of the default rendering engines that game with the game.
* disabling Shifter (would necessitate restarting my game)
''Sir, when scrounging merchandise you can get it fast, in good condition, or cheap: pick two.''
--Emtrey, Star Wars X-Wing: Rogue Squadron
So if I've troubleshot properly, the problem is not actually NPCs shooting, it's the red screen flash when JC takes damage. I have no idea what setting I could change either in the launcher or in my video card options. Kentie's DX10 renderer helps a bit, but not much. Anyone?
Heinrich von Helsignard: "Are we not both men of science?"
Atomic Robo: "I'm a robot and you're a brain in a jar. Is this a trick question?"
Problem solved. It was something to do with using Shifter v1.9 RC1 without the new beta packs for HDTP.
"I don't get it...what's a money shot? You mean like an expensive porn picture or something?"