Companion Guide

#1DjibrielPosted 4/14/2014 3:50:33 PM
Hey guys,

I wanted to let you guys know I made something for you. One, it's a kind of walkthrough. All the skill points, weapon mods, cutscenes and stuff. Nothing spectacular there, I guess, but I did find some new things I didn't find in other (older) walkthroughs, and I tried to combine all the best bits from several walkthroughs out there.

Second, more importantly I think, is that the document features a description of all kinds of references found in the game. From JC guessing 'xyzzy' and the significance of Anna Navarre's killphrase to the russian researcher that contracted his own virus and whatever 'metarphodopsin XII' is. Just Ctrl + F 'Notes: ' and you'll jump to all the relevant sections.

Finally, I've hosted a copy of the design document of the original team on my site; it's what the infamous DX Bible was based on. I didn't write that, obviously, but I figured I'd get the word out.

It's still a 0.9 version before I upload it to GameFAQs, so all feedback is appreciated! You can find both documents on my website, link below.
---
http://tenchinohoukai.cavesofnarshe.com/
#2Perfect SierraPosted 4/17/2014 9:12:47 AM(edited)
Great stuff! I love the little bits of trivia, real interesting.

I've noticed one avenue of trivia that you've missed, though: the paintings!

Seems at least some are reproductions of actual real world paintings. I came across one of them just recently: Jack Vettriano's "The Singing Butler". It's hanging on a few walls in the Paris section.
---
John was fully aware he could do this all alone.
Thomas...hoped he'd never have to.
#3Djibriel(Topic Creator)Posted 4/18/2014 2:15:19 AM
Excellent contribution, thanks!

I've tried to print screen a few paintings, then run them through Google Image search, but I got no results. I know very little about paintings, so I can't recognize them by eye. I will add the Dancing Butler, and I'll try and find some more, but a systematic approach won't really be possible.
---
#4Djibriel(Topic Creator)Posted 4/18/2014 3:30:30 AM
Upon further inspection:

- Most paintings used seem Impressionist, though that could just be the effect of their low resolution. Lots of landscapes, a few people.
- DX often uses parts of a painting. Sometimes a picture is shows that seems to be the complete, full, image; then down the hall you'll find a cut-out of the same picture, showing just part of the painting.
- There's one image that stands out, showing futuristic buildings over a pine forest. You can find it in several places, one of them is Nicolette DuClare's room.
- The Dancing Butler painting seems to be a parody. The wind is straining the umbrellas, the color of the dress is different and the two servants are on wheels/tank treads. I could not find the exact same picture outside of DX, though it's clearly based on the original.
---
#5Delta123456789Posted 4/23/2014 7:29:00 AM
Very interesting stuff. Took ages just to read the notes and must have been many times that to research it all so props for all the hard work.

It's amazing the amount of detail that went into this game. Every time I revisit it I'm impressed and realise there's even more complexity and world-building than I thought.

I liked the explanation of why pistol ammo might do higher damage than other kinds too, as someone on this board complained the other day about pistols doing more damage per shot than the assault rifle. The bit about NPCs in Paris moving and unlocking doors for you if you keep destroying their chairs was entertaining as well.

I didn't have the chance to read the rest of your guide, but I disagree a little with parts of your build advice. I've tended to find Advanced Pistols is more than enough as with a couple of mods the stealth pistol is already perfectly accurate with massive DPS. I also tend not to bother with low-tech as baton can already stealth-KO almost everything even on Realistic if you aim it right, and the DTS one-shots everything regardless. I'd personally prefer putting points in rifles and using a sniper rifle (at master it can even take out doors and cameras) or maybe an assault rifle for variety.

All in all, very impressive stuff though.
---
DF: So why can a Marauder roll but a multiplayer Turian can't?
Delta1-9: You are fighting female turian husks. You have reach but they have flexibility.
#6Djibriel(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2014 1:35:29 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

The reason that I went with Low-Tech up 'til Advanced is that with that + Combat Strength on L4, you can destroy camera's, turrets and a good many doors and panels with the DTS. Additional benefits include lesser Prod charges VS MiBs, being able to kill a fully grown Karkian in two slices without an explosive and easy crate bustin', but that's all minor.

The Pistol skill use useful for both the Crossbow and the (Stealth) Pistol, which take two inventory slots.

For fewer skill points, you propose I dump Low-Tech and Pistol in favor of Rifle. A solid build! The SR outperforms the Stealth Pistol, I get to destroy cameras from afar (though there is only one camera in-game you can't reach with the DTS) and I have skill points (2475) to spare for investment in other stuff (I'd probably upgrade Environmental Training in this case). Combat Strength costs minor Bioenergy, SR costs minor ammo, neither will be a problem. Both the DTS and SR can break the same barriers. The only downside here is that the Sniper Rifle takes three move inventory spaces than the (Stealth) Pistol, providing I want to keep the Crossbow and DTS.

I can see why someone would prefer your build, but I'd like to keep mine because it's advice for a first-time player. That player may want to keep things non-lethal where possible, in which case investing in Low-Tech and Pistol offer more than investing in Rifle.
---
#7Delta123456789Posted 4/23/2014 2:47:58 PM
Well to set out my build in detail, I'd have:
-Advanced computers to start (to read stuff)
-Advanced Pistols ASAP(for accuracy-modded stealth pistol ASAP and maybe tranqs)
-Trained/advanced lockpicking and hacking
-Master Rifles (eventually, not a priority) for sniper rifle and maybe assault rifle/shotgun if I want a change
That's about it really. I didn't see the point of environmental training or trained demolitions unless you are using shifter, and swimming is unnecessary with a regen aug and/or the rebreathers you can normally find near water areas. I could be forgetting stuff though.

I'd carry stealth pistol, tranq(optional), baton, taser, sniper rifle, DTS and maybe a GEP gun. Rest is filled with grenades, lockpicks, multitools and biocells.

Master pistols never seemed worth the cost for me. The stealth pistol fires so fast that you can basically stunlock anything with headshots. Even MJ12 commandos only take a second or two of sustained fire, and you already have perfect accuracy with advanced plus accuracy mods. That said it might make the tranq bow more useful it if helps headshots become instant takedowns.

Since I focus on stealth takedowns I don't really need melee training (baton for normals, taser x2 for MiBs and DTS for Commandos/anyone who looks at me funny).
---
Delta1-9: You are fighting female turian husks. You have reach but they have flexibility.
#8Delta123456789Posted 4/24/2014 4:44:48 AM
This build does kinda assume I already know where all the augs are already I guess. Baton might be harder to use if I'm not using speed enhancement to crouch-run up and brain people and without Regen the environmental protection and trained swimming would be more useful. A bit of medical training would also come in handy if you aren't focussing heavily on stealth.
---
#9Djibriel(Topic Creator)Posted 4/27/2014 6:01:55 AM
At what point do you master Rifles? I've been trying to play Rifle Man this last playthrough, putting everything in Rifles after Advanced Computer and Trained Lockpicking/Electronics. So far, I've encountered two weaknesses; ammo problems in a violent playthrough and lacking the ability to bypass 50 DmgReduction targets (cameras, turrets, etc.) until pretty late in the game. With the DTS doing this, this is easily done as soon as VersaLife.

Ofcourse, I don't mind to Master Pistols, but by that time I find I already have everything I really want. The only thing that would see some action is upgrading either Pistol, Environmental Training and some of the

I'd say melee sneak attacks are a bit easier even with Run Silent, but it doesn't matter much.

But it's a difficult discussion because you don't really ever need anything. I've played through the game without using skills/augmentations before and it's not extremely hard.
---
#10Delta123456789Posted 4/28/2014 5:15:13 AM
Djibriel posted...
At what point do you master Rifles? I've been trying to play Rifle Man this last playthrough, putting everything in Rifles after Advanced Computer and Trained Lockpicking/Electronics. So far, I've encountered two weaknesses; ammo problems in a violent playthrough and lacking the ability to bypass 50 DmgReduction targets (cameras, turrets, etc.) until pretty late in the game. With the DTS doing this, this is easily done as soon as VersaLife.

I'd say melee sneak attacks are a bit easier even with Run Silent, but it doesn't matter much.

But it's a difficult discussion because you don't really ever need anything. I've played through the game without using skills/augmentations before and it's not extremely hard.

Yeah, but that's really a strength of the game isn't it, that every build is viable?

As for run silent, I just find speed enhancement plus crouch does everything it does (move silently and at speed) but speed also lets me move rapidly, leap around buildings, drop without damage and fast-travel by bunny-hopping (toggling it on and off at the start of each jump). It really opens tons of alternate approaches/puzzle bypasses and is just plain fun, so it's not an aug I'd ever want to be without.

Master rifles does come pretty late on my build above (definitely by the Paris Cathedral but I can't remember exact details for sure).

As for running out of ammo with rifles, I've pretty much always carried a pistol and used stealth so I can't really comment how big a problem it is.
---