Did You Know? The Deus Ex trivia topic.*spoilers*

#1Psycho_PoodlePosted 5/5/2014 12:58:21 PM
Did you know that you can kill Gordon Quick when he goes to the Lucky Money club? He becomes mortal there, but Max Chen remains invincible.

Post some trivia!
---
"Any time you tell the player how to play, you've lost me."
-Warren Spector, creator of Deus Ex
#2joefitts63Posted 5/5/2014 8:22:56 PM
Did you know the airfield level has not one, not two, but THREE secret areas?
---
"Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull then ram it in an eye socket, I know I'm buildin' a better future." - Smiling Jack
#3Delta123456789Posted 5/6/2014 2:28:40 AM
1. The secret hologram in the training area is well known, but I hear you can get an acknowledgement from Jaime if you use stacked crates to reach the observation desk he's in.

2. Bob Page isn't invincible on the occasions he appears since it's assumed you can't reach him. You can ghost through the training room walls to kill him, and in Hong Kong IIRC you don't even need cheats, there's a gap in the polygons or something that lets you snipe him when he's talking to Maggie Chow behind a window at Versalife. Game doesn't acknowledge this unfortunately but it's fun to know.

3. There are several caches of supplies in the water around Liberty Island.

4. Smuggler's friend Ford has lines recorded for if you rescue him without talking to Smuggler, even though this isn't possible without cheating.

5. Simons has special dialogue once you defect if you've already killed or KO'd all the UNATCO troops in the building.

6. During the UNATCO escape you can discover who has been stealing and tell Sam Carter.

7. Harley Filben and Morgan Everett will acknowledge it if you kill Greene and the graveyard gatekeeper before talking to them. Everett compliments you on your paranoia.

8. IIRC There's new dialogue in the bar if you go in there after UNATCO raid the 'Ton.

9. The game contains textures from a cancelled moon and whitehouse missions.

10. The Deus Ex bible contains a ton of background about the game and the world, definitely worth reading for anyone who hasn't already.

I can't take credit for a lot of these as they came from reading TV Tropes.

Also, I found out from Fatman_2006 in another topic that Alex's password is on a poster in his office.
---
DF: So why can a Marauder roll but a multiplayer Turian can't?
Delta1-9: You are fighting female turian husks. You have reach but they have flexibility.
#4Delta123456789Posted 5/6/2014 2:32:10 AM
Djibriel recently posted a companion guide with tons of interesting DX trivia in the notes, such as what real life conspiracies are bring referenced by details in the game. His site also has a link to the DX bible I mentioned in the previous post.

You can find a link to his site and guide in his signature on this topic: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/250533-deus-ex/69028354
---
Delta1-9: You are fighting female turian husks. You have reach but they have flexibility.
#5jakeDiLLaPosted 5/6/2014 2:37:51 PM
pretty well known but it's possible to rescue Paul without cheats and he will appear in Hong Kong later in the game as well as @ UNATCO iirc. It's actually not that hard to do either, although you basically have to hide in the closet until he wipes out the g-men, then you have to kill all the other enemies waiting in the Tong lobby before they kill him
---
Intel 82865G Chipset - Pentium 4 2.8ghz Socket 478 - Sapphire Radeon x1950 Pro - 2gb DDR400
#6Delta123456789Posted 5/7/2014 3:37:14 AM
jakeDiLLa posted...
pretty well known but it's possible to rescue Paul without cheats and he will appear in Hong Kong later in the game as well as @ UNATCO iirc. It's actually not that hard to do either, although you basically have to hide in the closet until he wipes out the g-men, then you have to kill all the other enemies waiting in the Tong lobby before they kill him

Actually the only requirement is not to leave by the window. You can be gunned down yourself, run/sneak out the front door killing anyone or just let Paul kill them all (I can't remember if he's still invincible or not). What I love is filling the hotel with mines so the MiBs and half the troops are blown to bits and/or tear gassed before they even start firing. Note you can kill every guy in the place but Paul will still die if you leave via the window.
---
#7DjibrielPosted 5/7/2014 7:35:29 AM
One thing that I recently discovered is that water fountains and water coolers dry up after 10 uses.
---
http://tenchinohoukai.cavesofnarshe.com/
#8HeyDudePosted 5/9/2014 8:26:28 PM
Delta123456789 posted...
4. Smuggler's friend Ford has lines recorded for if you rescue him without talking to Smuggler, even though this isn't possible without cheating.

I'm 99% sure you're wrong and that I have gotten in without cheating and without talking to Smuggler.
#9joefitts63Posted 5/9/2014 8:43:08 PM
HeyDude posted...
Delta123456789 posted...

I'm 99% sure you're wrong and that I have gotten in without cheating and without talking to Smuggler.

You may be 99% sure, but you are 100% wrong. There are only two entrances to that area and you cannot open them by picking or explosives. You MUST have the key which only Smuggler can give you.
---
"Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull then ram it in an eye socket, I know I'm buildin' a better future." - Smiling Jack
#10UD4Posted 5/14/2014 9:55:11 PM
I might be remembering this wrong, but isn't the key to that area in Smuggler's room? I'm pretty sure there was a key there, at least.
---
(\(\ ~ Hardcore - We'll probably be modded for this...
(='.') ~ THIS ARE SERIOUS CHAT. I ARE SERIOUS ADMIN. ~ CJayC