Playing this for the first time.

#1SpiralDriftPosted 11/9/2012 4:57:33 AM
I watched a few videos of Hitman: Blood Money on youtube and thought it looked really cool, but I wanted to start at the beginning of the series and so here I am. I'll be posting my progress in this thread as I go. I'm only a few missions in but I'm enjoying it so far

One thing, though... this game is incredibly unforgiving. If you make one little mistake early on you're pretty much doomed to repeat the whole mission. I think this setup is really cool though since it forces you to memorize every little detail, right down to who's gonna be where at what time, until you get it right.
---
Do unto others what your parents did to you.
#2SpiralDrift(Topic Creator)Posted 11/9/2012 10:19:27 AM
I was stuck on the third mission for a while. I got it down to perfection when I finally did it, though:

- Ran to the restaurant and climbed in through the bathroom window
- Dropped the silenced gun in the bathroom
- Climbed back out and ran to the area where the Red Dragon appears, killed him with the fiber wire and dumped him in the sewer
- Took the Red Dragon's clothes
- Ran back to the restaurant
- Talked to the police chief then talked to the bartender
- Went into the bathroom to get the gun and then here was the tricky part... I opened the door and positioned myself at an angle to where the two sitting down didn't notice me standing there with the gun. Two headshots later and I slipped out the bathroom window unnoticed. Two shots fired in the whole level and no one chased me.

The next level still has me stuck, and I was surprised at how much bigger it is than the previous levels. It's absolutely massive. It took me quite a while to figure out what I'm supposed to do here, but I managed to do everything up to the point where I have to put the poison in the food. I made the mistake of getting too close to the target at that point and had to restart.

Let me say again what an unforgiving game this is.
---
#3SpiralDrift(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2012 11:55:30 AM(edited)
What a pain that mission turned out to be. I was stuck for a good long while before I realized a few things to avoid detection after the scene with the poisoned soup.

Here's what I did... Immediately following the cutscene with the poisoned soup I holstered my weapon and ran back to the room near the entrance of the mansion where I killed the first man in black. Since my original clothes were in there I just switched into those clothes. Here's the important part, I waited in there until I saw that the guards (two guards) found Tzu's body. It seemed that if I was out wandering about, even in different clothes, when they discovered the body they'd just automatically come after me. After waiting for this I then went to the bathroom where I killed one of the waiters before, and in there was still the Red Dragon outfit, which I changed into to complete the mission.

The next two missions in the jungle were pretty straightforward. I'm on the third jungle mission now and have only tried two or three times, just enough to locate the airplane and the house where the drug lord resides. I just hope this one doesn't require some long sequence of events since starting the mission is a HUGE pain having to run around the entire fence just to enter the base. Why on earth would they start you there instead of near the entrance?
---
#4SpiralDrift(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2012 4:57:28 PM(edited)
So I found the guard tower that has a sniper rifle, and the other tower that has a bunch of sniper rifle ammo. I can kill a literal ton of soldiers from the tower with the rifle, but I run out before I can clear a path to the tower nearest to the underground base thing, which I assume I need to get to in order to snipe the guards in front of the door on that side. I'll give it another go, but this sure is tough. I haven't even tried to clear the hangar yet.

I just wish the extra lives were actually worth anything. Once you get into a firefight, that alerts everyone to your presence and the alert doesn't go away when you continue, thus, rendering continues totally worthless. So you basically have to complete every level without making a single mistake.

Another thing is there appears to be a glitch when climbing or falling from certain towers. The screen just goes white and you die for no reason.
---
#5SpiralDrift(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2012 3:26:10 PM
I was stuck on that level for a few days and just barely managed to beat it. It was a mad dash to the end and I ended up actually making use of an extra life. I don't know what was causing the ladder glitch but it disappeared at some point. Also, it was funny how many hundreds of rounds from the minigun I pumped into Pablo, which he took standing just because he sniffed some drugs beforehand, lol.

I couldn't quite figure out the hotel level until I realized that you could open the balcony door in the room next to 202 and jump across to it. The level is actually pretty simple once you know everything you have to do. There are a lot of things that it sort of makes you think you need to do but actually don't.

At this point I should list my control scheme since it's worked so well for me. The default mapping was horrible. I don't think I could have enjoyed this game up to now if I hadn't changed it.

W = Walk forward
S = Walk backward
A = Strafe left
D = Strafe right
Left-Shift = Run
R = Holster weapon or item
F = Drop weapon or item
M = Map
1 = Reload

I should also say how much I'm enjoying this game now. Every level is like a new mystery to solve.
---
#6R i c kPosted 11/18/2012 6:22:13 PM
I got stuck on that mission for a few days, myself. Mostly due to various glitches and me putting it down out of annoyance because of them. I experienced the ladder glitch and there was also one time I entered a room that only had one exit and the action menu for the door was just gone. I had no way to open the damn door... The snipers on that level are also pretty close to psychic. There were times I'd be in the house sneakily disposing of a guard or two and then I come out to find the snipers shooting at me. Nobody else on the base was alerted before that but somehow the snipers outside knew what I was up to. It's a very frustrating mission.

Anyway, glad to see you're sticking it out even though you're new to the series. Hitman is one of my all-time favorite series but I always recommend newcomers skip this game. It's just too buggy and unpolished to be a good introduction for most people. I did enjoy it, though, despite it's flaws so I recommend people play it only if they like the other games enough that they feel they have to play all the Hitman games.
---
You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door. There is a small mailbox here.
>
#7SpiralDrift(Topic Creator)Posted 11/22/2012 12:00:55 AM
The next few levels were pretty easy until I got up to the one with the ship. Dear god it was tough, another fight to the finish. I managed to do it with no continues, though. The next level in the asylum confused me quite a bit until I realized I could kill the doc with the syringe, take his clothes and not be attacked by the SWAT team.

And then finally the last level with the 10 clones, which I just beat a few minutes ago. The first time I got to the end area I took on each of the clones one at a time in one of the corridors, taking their SMG's with full ammo after every kill to keep stocked. I have no idea how I managed to kill all of them that way. When I got to the final scene with the professor I thought I was supposed to hear him out before doing anything, so he stunned me and I got the "bad" ending.

After running through the level a few more times I figured out the best way to kill all the clones was to kill the first one, make a dash for the minigun, holster it and run to the area with the second orderly at his desk, and then fire on them as they appeared in the corridor. I noticed that if I was too close to the door several of them would pile up to the left of the door off-screen, so moving back just a bit made it easier to take them one at a time.

Having finally completed this game I can see why some people would recommend that it be skipped. It has its own charm though I think. It's just very, very unforgiving... bordering on cheap. The bugs sure don't help either. The only thing I ever referred to a FAQ for was the "walk behind soldiers entering gates" trick. Other than that I figured everything out myself so I feel like I can brag a bit, lol.

I'm off to Hitman 2 now. :]
---
#8dan77733Posted 12/1/2012 6:08:53 PM
Can you use the Xbox 360 controller or just the keyboard and mouse?
#9SpiralDrift(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2012 7:02:43 PM
I didn't try a 360 controller though I did try an original Xbox controller (pretty much the same button layout anyway). I experimented with a number of different button mappings but none of them worked well at all. In the end I just had to get used to the keyboard layout I posted above.

I'm sure a 360 controller would work. Just use Xpadder for the button mapping. The game doesn't natively support controllers, IIRC.
---
#10RARuskPosted 12/1/2012 7:34:03 PM
SpiralDrift posted...
I didn't try a 360 controller though I did try an original Xbox controller (pretty much the same button layout anyway). I experimented with a number of different button mappings but none of them worked well at all. In the end I just had to get used to the keyboard layout I posted above.

I'm sure a 360 controller would work. Just use Xpadder for the button mapping. The game doesn't natively support controllers, IIRC.

Just so happens that when I wrote my guide for this game I used an Xbox 360 wired controller with Xpadder (you would need to download the Xbox 360 controller driver before using it). I came up with what I thought was the best layout as compared to the console versions. The only hitch was with Look Around.

If you make it reasonably fast when using a sniper scope then you will look around way too fast when outside of it. If you make Look Around go at a reasonable speed then it moves slowly when using a sniper scope. You would have to tweak things around until you reach a happy medium you can be comfortable with.

Outside of that Xpadder, with the right controller and layout, is awesome and I cannot recommend it enough for this game and all of the other Hitman games. I simply cannot play any of the PC Hitman games with the standard keyboard/mouse setup.

My Xpadder setup is within my guide if you want to give that a try,
---
"it's the gamefaqs train! ROLLING IN A CIRCLE, MISSING THE POINT. choo chooo!!!!!" - Planet_Terror