This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best offensive combat class

#1thibtPosted 2/16/2008 12:46:30 PM
I'm getting ready to play through a multi player session with some friends, and we are each taking 2 characters. Healing is covered, and we already have a sorcerer and a thief, so I'm left taking some decent front liners, mostly focusing on attack power.

I was thinking of maybe a berserker or a barbarian for one, but I'm open to any good ideas. Just be sure to list the main merit of whatever class you think would work good.
#2joefitts63Posted 2/16/2008 1:39:17 PM
I'm a great fan of the berserker, myself. You get all the front liner power of a dual-wielding, high HP tank, and you are totally free of any need for micro-management. Since the berserk ability makes you immune to nearly everything, you don't need a bunch of buffs and you don't get sidetracked by status effects.
---
Silence, dog! You have no purpose but to die by my hand. - Irenicus
#3red255Posted 2/16/2008 1:45:30 PM
Inquisitor has good power progression if you want to be able to deal with mages stopping your slash.

I'm personally a fan of the Cleric/Fighter Multiclass. you level a tad slower and lose a few weapon options, but since the Flail of ages is the best one handed weapon in SoA its not that major.

Ideally a fighter/Cleric Dwarf shadowkeeper-ed into a Beserker/Cleric. But thats not legitamate. So I lose the beserker and just go Fighter/Cleric
---
"as for szs2, there's no way its gonna fall behind like szs did." -aers
#4DarthMordechaiPosted 2/16/2008 1:50:39 PM
I'd have to say Beserker or Inquisitor would be good for you. Inquisitor can tank with the best, they have a +5 weapon relatively early on and have good debuffs so your mage can focus on other things. Pretty strict stat requirements though, but that just prevents you from poopsocking. For out and out awesome, Beserker is where it's at - their rages give so many status defenes it's amazing (prevents maze and paralysis? Hell to the yes) not to mention all the other benefits of being a fighter (no real micromanagement outside of give armour+weapons, high hp and can hit stuff hard)
---
My friends call me Hadoken because I'm down-right fierce
I took her virginity. I have the bloody sheet to prove it. - BullFrogger
#5militant agnosticPosted 2/16/2008 2:55:47 PM
Honestly, by ToB every warrior can hit anybody, so the best melee class goes to the best damage output and best tanking ability. Meaning that Kenseis and Barbarians are the best melee classes.

The only thing Berserkers get over Barbs are Imprisonment immunity during Rage, grand mastery (both of which are minor points), and the ability to dual-class. Barbs get better HP, and damage resistances. Next on the Defensive side would be Rangers and Paladins who can cast spells, since Armor of Faith stacks with itself (and no it isn't supposed to), but they lack some of the more useful immunities.

---
"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the Devil his due." -Hob Gadling
#6Southe05Posted 2/16/2008 7:52:03 PM
if you want simple straightforward tanking classes, the berzerker and inquisitor can not be beat..... especially paired up together... a la korgan and keldorn
send in the berzerked berzerker first and then bat cleanup with your inquisitor. one of the simplest and most effective strategies in the game.

---
the good news: finally got my high end supercomputer
the bad news: NOTHING WORKS ON IT
#7militant agnosticPosted 2/17/2008 7:50:58 AM
if you want simple straightforward tanking classes, the berzerker and inquisitor can not be beat..... especially paired up together... a la korgan and keldorn
send in the berzerked berzerker first and then bat cleanup with your inquisitor. one of the simplest and most effective strategies in the game.

Barbs trump berserkers in pure tanking. And Inquisitors don't really stand out at damage output compared to other warriors, their role is to neutralize enemy buffs and debuffs and then hit things. Kenseis are the best at wailing on things, especially since a Barb will always enter combat ahead of them due to their speed increase, and thus draw enemy fire away.

The main problems with Inquisitor is the lack of Armor of Faith, which means he's not quite as good of a tank as other Paladins, and that his dispel will also dissolve your party members' buffs if they are in the area of effect.

The real question is if you feel your party has enough anti-mage options.

If so, you might want to try an Undead Hunter, or a Barbarian (they tend to have higher damage output than Berserkers as well). Berserker/Cleric duals, Ranger/Cleric duals and multi-class are good options as well. Kensei/Mage is freaking beastly as well.

Who is taking the main character slot?

---
"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the Devil his due." -Hob Gadling
#8joefitts63Posted 2/17/2008 8:21:49 AM
Barbs have more pure tanking ability than berserkers, yes, but they need a lot more management in terms of buffs. Berserkers can just crash in and kill it.
---
Silence, dog! You have no purpose but to die by my hand. - Irenicus
#9militant agnosticPosted 2/17/2008 8:24:54 AM
Not really, the only immunity Berserkers have over Barbarians is Imprisonment. And there's only what, like 2-3 enemies with that in the whole game?
---
#10red255Posted 2/17/2008 11:27:34 AM
Barbs trump berserkers in pure tanking. And Inquisitors don't really stand out at damage output compared to other warriors, their role is to neutralize enemy buffs and debuffs and then hit things. Kenseis are the best at wailing on things, especially since a Barb will always enter combat ahead of them due to their speed increase, and thus draw enemy fire away.

Inquisitors do more damage against things with 'protection from magic weapons' and the like. But yeah I know what you are saying.

Imprisonment can be handled with Slayer form I think. Or freedom. Or scrolls of protection from undead.

Oh yeah that cowled wizard likes to imprison too.... but its mostly special liches. and there aren't too many special liches in the game
---
"as for szs2, there's no way its gonna fall behind like szs did." -aers