This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Your weapon is not suitable for backstab."

#1Hamstah_FwendPosted 3/8/2009 10:44:18 PM
For some reason, I can't use a ninja-to for backstab (more specifically, the Scarlet Ninja-To from Joluv; haven't tested it on others yet). I don't get why that'd happen, since...y'know. They're ninja weapons. Doesn't make sense at all.

Could this possibly be because one of the mods I've installed "rebalances" proficiencies (e.g. ninja-tos now share with short swords, wakizashis with katanas and morningstars with maces)? Can you use ninja-tos for backstab without the mod?
---
TlabReborn: There's no such thing as playing an RPG wrong.
Kuronoa: Tell that to White Wolf. >.>
#2Zanbie XanvierPosted 3/8/2009 10:49:55 PM
Likely because the Scarlet Ninja-to isn't by default usable by thieves. Only weapons normally usable by thieves w/o Use Any Item can be backstabbed with.
---
Is that it is snowing only this paradise?
The paradise was already Alice's playground.
#3LatronisPosted 3/9/2009 2:20:53 AM
Think about the specific weapon

ask yourself 1) is it a melee weapon?
2) can a pure class thief(low level) use it?

it needs to be yes to both

---
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
It didn't work in Mass Effect... There was just too much foreplay and no sex. - Flo in regards to the Bioware formula.
#4Lord_TiaxPosted 3/9/2009 3:22:21 AM
Does dual weilding work for backstab? I'm curious as to what would happen dual weilding a warhammer and dagger...
---
http://www.fanfiction.net/~cyricz
Proud member of the HitsuHina fan club.
#5The_Pig_Posted 3/9/2009 3:57:33 AM
Does dual weilding work for backstab? I'm curious as to what would happen dual weilding a warhammer and dagger...

Dual wielding will work with backstab. However, only the first hit will be treated as a backstab. You come out of the shadows/become visible as soon as the hit connects, so even if you have multiple attacks per round, you only ever get one backstab. The only exception to this rule would be Mislead where you don't become visible after attacking, so every attack per round is a backstab while Mislead is active.

However, using your example of a warhammer and dagger. If the warhammer hits first, you won't get a backstab. You will get the "this weapon not suitable for backstab" message because a warhammer isn't a weapon usable by pure thieves. You will only get the backstab if the dagger is the first weapon to hit the enemy.

Even if a weapon is normally usable by pure thieves, if it is programmed to be used by a certain class or character it still can't be used for backstabbing. For example, the staff of the magi is programmed to be usable only by mages. Even though a pure thief can use quarterstaves, he can't backstab with the staff of the magi due to the programming. Same thing with Valygar's katana. Even though pure thieves can use katanas, Valygar's katana is specifically programmed not to be usable by thieves, only Valygar himself, so it can't be used for backstabbing. (I think one of the fixpacks corrected this though.)
#6LatronisPosted 3/9/2009 4:46:26 AM
Yes baldurdash( onwards ) fixed it.

The problem with Valygar's katana was the way the devs handle 'only useable by XXXXX'

By assigning it valygars stats as minimum's and only being useable by his alignment and kit.

Th problem is weapons need the 'can be used by thieves' flag to be used in a backstab. IEEP is probably the quickest easiest way to change that. Or fix V's katana yourself if you prefer.

---
It didn't work in Mass Effect... There was just too much foreplay and no sex. - Flo in regards to the Bioware formula.
#7DarthMordechaiPosted 3/9/2009 6:16:47 AM
Even if a weapon is normally usable by pure thieves, if it is programmed to be used by a certain class or character it still can't be used for backstabbing. For example, the staff of the magi is programmed to be usable only by mages. Even though a pure thief can use quarterstaves, he can't backstab with the staff of the magi due to the programming

I think this might be more of a game breaking thing. Since the Staff of the Magi makes you invisible your first attack will ALWAYS be a backstab. You can then pause the game after the backstab, unequip the SotM, re-equip and it bam - you're invisible again, and can backstab once more. Pretty gamebreaking, really
---
My friends call me Hadoken because I'm down-right fierce
Google THIS! *slowly raises middle finger* - DxEntity
#8The_Pig_Posted 3/9/2009 6:29:29 AM
^ You can still use the staff of the magi's innate invisibility for some cheesy backstabbing. Have it and another weapon in your quick-weapon slots. Equip the staff of the magi to make yourself invisible. Then quickly equip the other weapon and start attacking the enemy. If you are lucky and/or attack fast enough, you can get a backstab in before the invisibility expires (it takes a round for the invisibility to expire).
#9DarthMordechaiPosted 3/9/2009 6:32:35 AM
I seem to remember you coming out of invisibility the very second you un-equip the Staff of the Magi, so you won't be able to pull a backstab off. You will be able to pull a normal attack off and then re-equip the staff quickly to turn invisible again, and it makes for some long but incredibly easy battles. I've only ever used that against Mind Flayers since all 3 Mind Flayer parts of the game bore me to tears, but outside of there it's a little too cheesy for me to use
---
My friends call me Hadoken because I'm down-right fierce
Google THIS! *slowly raises middle finger* - DxEntity
#10LatronisPosted 3/9/2009 6:56:10 AM
That I believe was part of a newer version of the G3 fixpack, instantly re-visibility
---