This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can someone please help me on how to use shadowkeeper?

#1M156Posted 3/26/2009 10:07:54 PM
I really don't know how to use it, and most instructions start with "Open [blank]". But I don't know how to open these things! Can a kind soul please help me with this?
#2LatronisPosted 3/26/2009 10:39:53 PM
There are 4 main parts of shadowkeeper

Item Browser(IB), Spell Browser(SB), Creature Browser(CB) and ofc the save game editor(the open folder icon)

You need a saved game. NOT a quick or auto save. (only the earliest versions allowed that)

Click the folder icon, choose the save game.

If nothing comes up and you have at least one hard save, then it sounds like you need to point it in the right direction.

Click Settings

Installation Directory...

Then you can try the search function (which is pretty redundant as it does that upon opening so probably wont work) Type in the actual root directory of your BG2 installation (or TuTu if u have it and want it for that) Your use browse to point SK at it.

Now try open a hard save again.

And you can change just about anything! It's really pretty self-explanatory once you have it working i can answer more specific questions

the browsers are useful for extracting to the override folder to modify them with 3rd party mod tools. Also you can use them to assign items\spells etc to your selected character in the opened save game.

---
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
It didn't work in Mass Effect... There was just too much foreplay and no sex. - Flo in regards to the Bioware formula.
#3zherokPosted 3/27/2009 1:29:59 AM
You can edit quick and auto saves in the newest version, you just need to enable it in the miscellaneous settings (just a checkbox). It's probably in place by default as a safety measure.
---
In the past talking present tense/Gonna break it/Gonna wreck it/Gonna try to make it all make sense - Modest Mouse "Steam Engenius"
#4atakdougPosted 3/27/2009 5:12:01 PM
True re quicksave -- you can edit them, but the default preference is not to allow it.

It's not really necessary, because the game also automatically renames (so doesn't save over) any saved game file you edit.
#5atakdougPosted 3/27/2009 5:14:08 PM
I've never used anything but the saved game editor. When using the other parts, is it just as obvious how to, say, edit an item file? Does the resulting changed file have to go in the override folder? Assuming yes, does the original have to be removed or anything else along those lies.
#6LatronisPosted 3/27/2009 7:51:51 PM
Anything in the override folder... overrides the version not in the override folder.

Remember the cloak of mirroring's change from SoA -> ToB?

Delete clck26.itm from the override folder and it'll be the same as it was in vanilla SoA stand alone.

Any area, creature, spell, item, script, 2 dimensional array etc files in the override folder are the ones the game uses. Nothing else need be done but having it in the override folder. If something hasn't been changed by mods\tweaks\patches\tob\fixpacks\a user previously you may need to extract it first, once edited to your hearts content just having the version you want in the override folder is all you need (i recommend backing up the folder first, modify files to try get around hardcoded effects will crash\prevent the game from running like trying to allow a druid\mage multi\dual class)

uh... let's say you wanted to modify paladin spellcasting progression. Vanilla game doesn't have the 2da file in the override folder, so you'll need to make it (MxSplPal.2da) then once you've put down what slots it has at what levels the engine checks the override folder when ever it needs to see how many slots paladins get. (they automatically know all cleric spells they can cast like clerics so nothing else need be done except change the max spells) Ranger is MxSplRan.2da and Bard is i think MxSplBrd.2da, i think all the other class had it's progression changed with ToB(so they already exist in the override)

---
It didn't work in Mass Effect... There was just too much foreplay and no sex. - Flo in regards to the Bioware formula.
#7LatronisPosted 3/27/2009 7:53:37 PM
Uh spell and item files can't be modified with shadowkeeper, only save games and creature files. But the browsers can extract them (to the override by default) and then you can use IEEP or whatever to modify them (i never bothered learning how to use the newer TEAMBG tools)

---
#8zherokPosted 3/27/2009 7:53:57 PM
You can actually rename it the same thing if you wanted to, but the save itself is always incremented.

As for editing items, Shadowkeeper doesn't do that. There are probably a number of ways to create them, but from personal experience there are two nice utilities I know of:
Infinity Engine Editor Pro: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/dl.php?s=IEM&f=IEmodding/IEEP_v109Build40.zip

Dragon Lance Total Conversion Editor Pro: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gemrb/dltcep71.zip?use_mirror=superb-west

I started with the first one, but after I found the second one I much prefer it. The first one might be easier to avoid screwing anything up.
---
In the past talking present tense/Gonna break it/Gonna wreck it/Gonna try to make it all make sense - Modest Mouse "Steam Engenius"