This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best Backstabbing Weapon

#1noob_of_destinyPosted 10/3/2009 9:21:37 AM
Which weapon has the highest average damage per backstab? And if it is different, which weapon has the highest possible damage for a backstab?
#2DarthMordechaiPosted 10/3/2009 9:25:51 AM
Staff of the Ram +6 will probably be the best backstabbing weapon
---
My friends call me Hadoken because I'm down-right fierce
http://stupidblogforbrilliantpeople.blogspot.com/
#3wirts_leg_Posted 10/3/2009 9:39:56 AM
Yes, the Staff of the Ram is the highest base damage for a backstab weapon.

The staff of striking bought in Trademeet is also really good, but it has limited charges that are used up every time it hits an enemy. The Staff of the Ram is in fact a staff of striking with unlimited charges.

Staff of Striking damage = 1d6+9
Staff of Ram+4 damage = 1d6+10
Staff of Ram+6 damage = 1d6+12

A fighter's weapon specialization +2 to damage is also multiplied by the backstab multiplier. The additional +2 damage from equipment such as the gauntlets of specialization is also multiplied. The Strength modifier however is not multiplied.

So with the Staff of the Ram+6, you are looking at a backstab range of (5x (1d6+12+2+2) ) = a range of 85-110 plus the Strength modifier. So all in all you are looking at a range of approximately 90-120 damage. And double that for a critical backstab... so you can easily do 200+ damage on a critical backstab.
#4noob_of_destiny(Topic Creator)Posted 10/3/2009 9:43:54 AM
Cool. Thanks for the fast response.
#5RequiemPosted 10/3/2009 2:55:25 PM
Having that said, remember that you don't get SotR until ToB.

Staff of striking works pretty well (although it uses up a charge for each attack) in the meantime, and for those more magically inclined, iron golem fist is impressive, as well (although it'll require lvl 9 shapeshifting spell).

---
Copyright free literature available at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page
#6wirts_leg_Posted 10/3/2009 3:05:28 PM
Having that said, remember that you don't get SotR until ToB.

You can go to WK at any time. With the exception of the final seal guardians, WK isn't that difficult at early levels either.
#7slats59sPosted 10/3/2009 4:09:13 PM
If the final seal guardians are tough, you probably aren't summoning enough. ;-D I did my aforementioned party versus the guardians and came out pretty chewed up (having to resurrect two characters), then tried it again with MSs, the tri-Simulacrums, a nice elemental prince and the efreet from the efreeti bottle to boot, plus laying down just a handful of traps. Crushed the toughest guardians almost immediately, and mopping up wasn't hard.
#8Kiko_MarunaPosted 10/3/2009 4:13:55 PM
I remember seeing a screenshot of a 1000+ Damage backstab that was done by a Cleric/Thief multi or dual class. I don't remember the weapon though, or the exact way to do it.
The cleric can have maximum damage rolls over a long time, so that assures maximum damage backstab, which is good since the damage range is so high. But I can't think of any way to multiply the 90-120 of staff of the ram again...
#9wirts_leg_Posted 10/3/2009 4:24:57 PM
If the final seal guardians are tough, you probably aren't summoning enough.

Reading comprehension.... I said the final seal guardians were tough for low level parties (i.e. a level 10-12 party). That means no high level summons.

I remember seeing a screenshot of a 1000+ Damage backstab that was done by a Cleric/Thief multi or dual class. I don't remember the weapon though, or the exact way to do it.
The cleric can have maximum damage rolls over a long time, so that assures maximum damage backstab, which is good since the damage range is so high. But I can't think of any way to multiply the 90-120 of staff of the ram again...

I am trying to picture how this can be done, and I just don't see it. Whoever did it had to have either faked the screenshot or was cheating somehow. If the 1000+ damage backstab was a critical backstab, that means it would normally have hit for 500+ damage. At a 5x modifier, that would have been a normal hit for 100+ damage. That simply is not possible.

The cleric spell that enables maximum damage is the Righteous Magic spell. Using Righteous Magic with the Staff of the Ram (1d6+12) would guarantee that it does 18 damage. Add in +2 damage from specialization and another +2 from the gauntlets, and that is 22 damage. Two-handed style gives +1 to damage If I remember correctly, so that would be 23 damage. The strength modifier is not multiplied. I can't think of any other damage modifiers. I don't see how it would be possible to get a 100+ damage roll without cheating.
#10LatronisPosted 10/3/2009 6:58:08 PM
2handed weapon style increase crit ratio and gives a faster weapon speed.

OK let's take a lv21 assassin dualled to cleric w\ sotr and his missus likes to spout poetry at the oddest of times.

1d6+12+1d4 (ALL physical damage is multiplied) ALL damage bonuses barring strength are multiplied.

w\ righteous magic.... 6+12+4 = 22 + Assassin kit bonus = 23 + gloves = 25 + bard song(skald or IBS) = 29 x7 = 203 + strength = 227 and a critical = 454. And that's not even stacking as many damage bonuses as you can just a simple easy to accomplish massive number. It would only require roughly 7 or 8 more bard songs (which can be cheesed in easily enough to break into the 4 digit mark.)

and the kicker is.... on insane difficulty your party takes double damage (it says monsters do double damage but in reality all instances of your partymembers taking damage is doubled including the end of a rage\party unfriendly spells\party members backstabbing each other) So that's A quick and easy 904 backstab screenshot on Minsc.

---
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
It didn't work in Mass Effect... There was just too much foreplay and no sex. - Flo in regards to the Bioware formula.