This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What are the best mage spells for each level?

#1cloudstrife2000Posted 12/17/2009 6:27:10 PM
I got a few mages on my team but I don't really know what the best spells to use are.
---
Go see Serenity, the best movie ever.
RIP Eddie Guerrero - 1967-2005 Latino Heat will live forever.
#2f4rMPosted 12/17/2009 7:08:47 PM
Blind

Mirror Image

Remove Magic

Stoneskin

Breach

Protection from Magical Weapons

idk.. Pierce Magic is 6th I think, and Pierce Shield is 8th.. so.. uh, Mordenkainen's Sword?

Horrid Wilting

Time Stop
---
< o >
#3ZozmaSagePosted 12/17/2009 8:48:18 PM
1:: Blindness/Chromatic orb
2: Mirror Image/Web. Knock for solo playthroughs.
3: I'd go with Haste.
4:Stoneskin/ Greater Malison
5.Breach/Lower Resistance
6.Protection from Magical Weapons
7:Project Image
8:Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting
9: Time stop

Mind you, if you focus on getting only these spells your mages won't be all that effective. There's really no one spell that'll save you in every situation; mages are all about combining spell effects via buffs, debuffs, and a little direct damage now and then.
#4red255Posted 12/17/2009 9:15:19 PM
1. MAGIC MISSLE.
2. .... Invisibility
3. haste
4. Stoneskin
5. Breach.....Animate dead. I can't decide. Breach is a good spell, but I'm pretty sure you can beat the game with enough Animate deads and nothing else. But its a cleric spell too...and clerics cast it better.
6. True sight.
7. Mordenkainen's Sword.
8.....I'll give it to spell trigger maybe.
9. I'll go with spell trap because Time stop should not be in the game. its a terrible spell like imprisonment and just simply should not exist. and any mage that casts it should be killed with the debugger.

terrible terrible spell. like some tool that pauses the game in a multiplayer. No. mages do not have the power to stop time.
---
Anybody saying this is anime of the year will immediately be shut down when FMA comes out. -cloudvstidus4life | Posted: 2/17/2009
#5UltimatheChosenPosted 12/17/2009 9:26:15 PM
Resist fear is also handy as a second level spell.

Protection from magic weapons is largely useless if you have fighters to man the front lines. Same with stoneskin (although that one has a long enough duration that it's worth keeping up anyways).

Breach is made of win. So is Warding Whip. Use Whip then Breach on very high level mages, and they'll never know what hit them (won't work on liches, though... they're immune to Breach).
---
There are no heroes left in man.
#6GateaholicPosted 12/17/2009 9:40:46 PM
Level six should be Improved Haste.
#7hairymanboobsPosted 12/17/2009 9:56:43 PM
Level six should be Improved Haste.

I can't believe it took that long for someone to say it. An Improved Hasted fighter can kill a whole army in just a few rounds. It is like a Whirlwind on steroids.

Also lmao @ the irony of the biggest mage hater of them all (red255) trying to give advice on how to play a mage. His cruddy spell selection shows he doesn't really know much about mages.

mages do not have the power to stop time.

The name Timestop is a misnomer. A mage doesn't actually stop time. It is actually an area of effect, although in the BG games the area of effect is the entire screen. Time is flowing normally outside the area of effect, and everything inside the area is just greatly slowed as if to appear frozen for three rounds but in reality actually isn't. Think of it as a much more massively powerful Slow spell that effects everything in the area.

I don't know why you have trouble believing mages could do that. Powerful mages like Elminster, The Simbul, and Khelben have certainly done much more impressive stuff than Timestop. Okay sure the average mage certainly could not do a Timestop spell, and every ToB mage seems to be able to do it, but then again BG2 and ToB are based more on powergaming rather than an actual D&D experience.
#8red255Posted 12/17/2009 11:42:01 PM
In neverwinter... which has multiplayer so you can be in 2 places at once, unmodded timestop stops time in all areas. it is NOT an area of effect.

If its a SLOW spell it should have a save, and Spell immunity ? would work against it.

its does not have a save. its needs a save.
---
Anybody saying this is anime of the year will immediately be shut down when FMA comes out. -cloudvstidus4life | Posted: 2/17/2009
#9f4rMPosted 12/18/2009 12:15:25 AM
Because neverwinter nights is the epitome of flawless game mechanics.
---
< o >
#10f4rMPosted 12/18/2009 12:15:47 AM
^and implementation of D&D rulesets.
---
< o >