This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Windows 7?

• Topic Archived
6 years ago#1
Has anyone yet run the game successfully in Windows 7, or determined that it can, or for that matter cannot, be done, and what if any special steps are required? I haven't dug out my disks yet and want to know whether it's worth bothering with the installation. (I'm actually running in a virtualization engine on a Mac, but there's no way I'm paying the hundred dollars or so that a Mac version costs.)

I did have it running in Vista, albeit not without incident, so I do suspect it will work, but anyone with concrete knowledge, please share.
6 years ago#2
I think Hurk was using it with windows 7 or tried too. You could try asking him in Alaundo's Alehouse as he tends to spend more time on the BG board than here.
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
It's like the game wants you to use strategy or something to win battles... >.> - Zerkrender
6 years ago#3
I can tell you, beyond any reasonable doubt, that it does, in fact, work, though with a hiccup or two, I should add, in Windows 7, and the reason I know, of course, is from personal experience.

All silliness aside, there was an issue with little black squares appearing around items and the fog of war, but a bit of fiddling with some of the graphical settings fixed that right up. I can't tell you exactly what it was exactly that fixed it, but I might be able to check. I think it might also have crashed a few times, though that might have been in XP (I switched from XP to W7 at some point in the Underdark).
6 years ago#4
Apologies. I cannot seem to be able to replicate what caused the graphical issue.

Anyway, yeah, it installs just fine, and, beyond the aforementioned problem that I encountered (and fixed with a little help from Google), there were no extra steps necessary.
6 years ago#5
That particular graphics glitch isn't new, it shown up in every OS since XP.
It's like the game wants you to use strategy or something to win battles... >.> - Zerkrender
6 years ago#6
Well, it works for me in Vista, and if it works with THAT, it should work better in Windows 7.

Haven't actually tried it, though.
There are no heroes left in man.
6 years ago#7
That particular graphics glitch isn't new, it shown up in every OS since XP.

Just sayin', it appeared after I switched from XP to W7. I can't know if it was an isolated case, or it's always like that by default. I can't for the life of me remember what it was that it ended up depending on. Never mind that, though; 's hardly important..

And, to repeat, it worked for me, so I'm not making any assumptions here.
6 years ago#8
it's something to do with settings for newer nvidia cards iirc.
6 years ago#9
That's about right then. I have one of those, and I didn't have it in the XP. Tha's good to know, though I can't help but feel that I already knew that before. (I have a pooey memory, with a habit of remembering useless things, but not the important stuff.)

(For the first time since ever, I have a decent gaming PC, and, lo and behold, I've almost entirely lost interest in new games. It's almost comical, but at least I can run Bloodlines. That's enough about that, though.)
6 years ago#10
I play it on Win 7 and so far haven't encountert any problems

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived