This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Windows 7?

#1atakdougPosted 12/19/2009 1:17:34 AM
Has anyone yet run the game successfully in Windows 7, or determined that it can, or for that matter cannot, be done, and what if any special steps are required? I haven't dug out my disks yet and want to know whether it's worth bothering with the installation. (I'm actually running in a virtualization engine on a Mac, but there's no way I'm paying the hundred dollars or so that a Mac version costs.)

I did have it running in Vista, albeit not without incident, so I do suspect it will work, but anyone with concrete knowledge, please share.
#2LatronisPosted 12/19/2009 2:22:29 AM
I think Hurk was using it with windows 7 or tried too. You could try asking him in Alaundo's Alehouse as he tends to spend more time on the BG board than here.
---
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
It's like the game wants you to use strategy or something to win battles... >.> - Zerkrender
#3roddyrodPosted 12/19/2009 4:39:36 AM
I can tell you, beyond any reasonable doubt, that it does, in fact, work, though with a hiccup or two, I should add, in Windows 7, and the reason I know, of course, is from personal experience.

All silliness aside, there was an issue with little black squares appearing around items and the fog of war, but a bit of fiddling with some of the graphical settings fixed that right up. I can't tell you exactly what it was exactly that fixed it, but I might be able to check. I think it might also have crashed a few times, though that might have been in XP (I switched from XP to W7 at some point in the Underdark).
#4roddyrodPosted 12/19/2009 4:46:24 AM
Apologies. I cannot seem to be able to replicate what caused the graphical issue.

Anyway, yeah, it installs just fine, and, beyond the aforementioned problem that I encountered (and fixed with a little help from Google), there were no extra steps necessary.
#5LatronisPosted 12/19/2009 5:09:00 AM
That particular graphics glitch isn't new, it shown up in every OS since XP.
---
It's like the game wants you to use strategy or something to win battles... >.> - Zerkrender
#6UltimatheChosenPosted 12/19/2009 7:02:59 AM
Well, it works for me in Vista, and if it works with THAT, it should work better in Windows 7.

Haven't actually tried it, though.
---
There are no heroes left in man.
#7roddyrodPosted 12/19/2009 2:28:26 PM
That particular graphics glitch isn't new, it shown up in every OS since XP.

Just sayin', it appeared after I switched from XP to W7. I can't know if it was an isolated case, or it's always like that by default. I can't for the life of me remember what it was that it ended up depending on. Never mind that, though; 's hardly important..

And, to repeat, it worked for me, so I'm not making any assumptions here.
#8LatronisPosted 12/19/2009 2:35:53 PM
it's something to do with settings for newer nvidia cards iirc.
---
#9roddyrodPosted 12/19/2009 3:18:56 PM
That's about right then. I have one of those, and I didn't have it in the XP. Tha's good to know, though I can't help but feel that I already knew that before. (I have a pooey memory, with a habit of remembering useless things, but not the important stuff.)

(For the first time since ever, I have a decent gaming PC, and, lo and behold, I've almost entirely lost interest in new games. It's almost comical, but at least I can run Bloodlines. That's enough about that, though.)
#10shikovi4ikPosted 12/20/2009 12:11:11 PM
I play it on Win 7 and so far haven't encountert any problems