This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Wizard Slayer useful at all?

#1mixedlionPosted 4/29/2010 5:02:18 PM
I hear that the Wizard Slayer kit for the fighter class is really bad (because you cannot use magic items), yet it seems pretty good in that you get magic resistance and can cause enemy mages to fail.

I wanted to use a Wizard Slayer/Cleric or Wizard Slayer/Thief for a ranged fighter that disables mages and wanted to know if the class has any use at all or should I just avoid it?
#2joefitts63Posted 4/29/2010 5:28:18 PM
Just avoid it.

---
A good friend will help you move. A really good friend will help you move a body.
#3JvstmPosted 4/29/2010 5:28:31 PM
The Wizard Slayer's miscast magic doesn't apply to ranged attacks unless you install the fixpack.

Once you do, they are not as useless.
#4red255Posted 4/29/2010 5:29:20 PM
If Combining with a Thief you are better off using a Kensai, so you can KI critical and Backstab to make the mage go away. Although I suppose Use any Item would probably remove the equipment restrictions.

If combining with a cleric. Again, Generally once a fighter closes on a mage and the mage's protections are down the mage dies.

Generally the Beserker's Enrage state gives enough immunities that the make can't stop him with status.

Finally one could consider a Pure class wizard slayer for the spell resistance. but you are likely better off going with a pure class Inquisitor instead, use the holy avenger sword for 50% magic resistance, and have dispel magic to remove wizard buffs.

Long story short a Wizard slayer would be more useful if wizards had more HP. But as it stands they either DIE or don't when you touch them with a serious melee unit.
---
If the next one is called, because of his MO, the underwear bomber, you'll know I'm on to something. Calvin Trillin June 16, 2006.
#5mixedlion(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2010 5:47:13 PM
oh ok...yea its best to avoid the class then. Thanks guys
#6FlyinBrianPosted 5/3/2010 7:42:54 AM
if you want to play the character that makes wizards cry themselves to sleep go with the Inquisitor class. it's a paladin kit that gets true seeing and a special dispel magic that dispels at double their level so they eradicate all semblance of the mage's buffs so you can steamroll right over them. essentially it's what the wizard slayer should have been.

the game gives you one for free too, might as well pick him up.
---
Sanity's really just a one trick pony, you just get one trick: rational thought. But when you're good and crazy, oh baby! The skies the limit! - The Tick
#7Cheator13Posted 5/6/2010 11:30:33 PM
Actually i'm pretty sure the Use All Items HLA will drop the restrictions and on high levels WS/Thief would really make wizards wet themselves
Furthermore, i can't think of any better ranged option
#8red255Posted 5/7/2010 1:41:34 AM
1. Doesn't WORK with ranged attacks unless you mod your game.
2. Ranger
---
If the next one is called, because of his MO, the underwear bomber, you'll know I'm on to something. Calvin Trillin June 16, 2006.
#9Cheator13Posted 5/7/2010 3:16:38 AM
1.Who, in their right mind DOESN'T USE G3 fixpack?
2.Rangers don't get anything special for buttkicking wizards
#10corpse_rotPosted 5/7/2010 5:41:06 AM
1. ppl who dont give a damn about unofficial stuff
2. stalkers get backstab and archers get... arrows