This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Hide in Shadows vs. Move Silently

#1TheGrimHreeperPosted 8/9/2010 5:09:56 AM
I read this on another forum:

Chance to Hide = (HiS + MS) /2 . This value is checked when you try to hide, and - I believe - once each round you continue to hide. You want this value as high as possible.
Move silently gives bonuses after you leave the shadows. In particular, it increases the delay between when you leave the shadows and when you become visible.
Hide in Shadows does nothing extra for you.
So, forget that Hide in Shadows exists. Put all your points into Move Silently.

And this:

Hoooowever, there is a numerical limit on how high you can pump your Move Silently, which is 255%. So if you wish to have a higher Stealth value( say 150%), then some points will be needed in Hide in Shadows.

Pump into Move Silently first though.

Is all this true? If so, what are the other bonuses Move Silently gives after leaving the shadows? Also, about Stealth Value, whats a good amount to have? 150% seems a bit much.
---
The answer to 1984 is 1776.
#2ManiacalFreakPosted 8/9/2010 9:32:42 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#3ryuken87Posted 8/9/2010 10:09:00 AM
First bit is correct. Your chance of hiding is the average of HITS and MS.

Second bit about MS giving bonuses after leaving the shadows I've never heard before, and after a quick test I think its bull.

All thief skills wrap around after 255.
#4cpthurmePosted 8/10/2010 6:06:46 PM
Wait, so I should just put all my points into move silently? I've always just levelled them equally assuming they did the same thing.
#5AramilOfTusmitPosted 8/12/2010 2:47:13 AM
Well... what I've heard about how HiS and MS differ is that Hide is checked when there are no enemies around, and Move Silently is checked when the hidden character is within a hostile creature's range of vision, i.e. it checks either one or the other, depending on the situation.
---
The Game.
#6Zanbie XanvierPosted 8/12/2010 3:01:03 AM
Elsewhere I've read Hide in Shadows is your chance of getting into stealth to begin with, and Move Silently is checked to see if you remain in stealth. Dunno if it's right, considering what the OP said.
---
Is that it is snowing only this paradise?
The paradise was already Alice's playground.
#7LatronisPosted 8/12/2010 4:10:04 AM
no hide in shadows alone can't be checked for success since rangers stealth is just mechanically move silently alone
---
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Oh DM, we all know you'll never leave, you're like a domestic abuse victim. - rhemorigher
#8Zeran_kariashiPosted 8/19/2010 3:46:03 PM
They should've just left the two stats combined. They even added 2 new skills, so there was no real point to splitting them in the first place, other then to screw assassins.