This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Alignment

#1SilasirePosted 7/4/2011 3:02:00 AM

Hi all, I thought I'd post this typical "so what do you do.." type of question as it's something that really annoying me about my own playing.

Question; Are you stuck in an alignment?

I ask because I pretty much always play neutral good unless the character class actually limits the selection. This must be because I am crap at roleplay. I wouldn't make neutral good choices in real life I am sure, the choice I think is purely because playing NG provides me with the most morally easy dialogue choices and nobody in the game will penalise you for making them (correct me if I am wrong - bar evil characters complaining/leaving). I make lots of greed influence choices, I think for example that if I act like a goody two shoes then the denizens of the forgotten realms will make my life easier, maybe even reward me more - this isn't "good" motivated.

Part of the annoyance for me is that evil party members demand you commit acts that lower the party rep in order to be happy. It would be ok if doing things like the Thieves Guild's jobs gave you negative points but they don't, there is a kind of confusion between "evil" and "murderer" in some cases.

I know there has been some discussion about this before; how dialogue choices sometimes force you to either "brush rabbit's coat and lick it's bottom" or "stamp on rabbit." Stupidly, opposite end of the spectrum lazyness on behalf of the writers that don't give you the RP choices of good/evil but "starry eyed moon goddess of the floral glade" and "c**t."

Anyway I'd be interested to see if anyone else feels that their play in different alignments is limited for some reason. (possibly ignoring all of the waffle above)

#2valkod23Posted 7/4/2011 3:26:20 AM
Personally, I download the BG2TweakPack and make it so party members will never leave based on reputation, that way my Paladin can keep Viconia.
#3RufusCorvusPosted 7/4/2011 10:38:47 AM
There's the Virtue mod that accounts for that somewhat. Basically, it adds another stat, Virtue, that tracks how good/evil you are, while leaving Reputation to represent how popular you are. I never played with it much, because it's much easier to just install the Happy Patch.
#4rhemorigherPosted 7/4/2011 10:44:16 AM
Yeah the alignment in BG2 is really screwy, I installed the happy patch and get max rep for the store discounts and then just do as I please throughout the game.
---
The madness of being normal explains the rationality of going crazy
Life is measured not by the breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away
#5goldenmouthPosted 7/4/2011 12:18:07 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6AskeladdPosted 7/4/2011 5:11:31 PM
Personally, by the time my reputation is getting high enough that any evil party members are in danger of leaving I get access to the avatar of Bhaal form, so I can just use that often enough to keep my reputation down.
---
It's called Harry Potter fanfiction, Dad, and i'm really good at it! I didn't expect you to understand!
Role Playing Game > Roll Playing Game
#7Zeran_kariashiPosted 7/5/2011 5:14:56 AM
(possible spoilers)

The only way your raw alignment gets permanently (Helm of Opposite Alignment only happens when it's worn, unlike in PnP) changed is depending on your choices in Hell. If you're not evil and do ANYTHING evil at all, you become Neutral evil. If you're evil and do everything good, you'll become neutral good. If you're not in one of those situations, your alignment won't change.

As to effects of reputation and stuff. Do whatever. That's your input to the game.
#8Silasire(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2011 1:09:24 PM

Thanks for input all, much appreciated. Nobody else have problems playing alignments across the board then? (not merely due to the game's limitations)

#9valkod23Posted 7/5/2011 3:35:24 PM
Silasire posted...
Thanks for input all, much appreciated. Nobody else have problems playing alignments across the board then? (not merely due to the game's limitations)

Well, as a Shapeshifter with the restored Bhaalpowers under Unfinished Business, I found they were all the evil aligned powers. Then again, there are no neutral aligned powers.
#10valkod23Posted 7/5/2011 4:07:08 PM
twitch5150 posted...
There's the Virtue mod that accounts for that somewhat. Basically, it adds another stat, Virtue, that tracks how good/evil you are, while leaving Reputation to represent how popular you are. I never played with it much, because it's much easier to just install the Happy Patch.

Virtue is worse, as the happy patch uses only reputation, but with the Virtue patch, the reputation checks to see if evil/good party members stay gets skipped over, meaning evil will leave at 19-20 reputation. Plus, Virtue is only useful for Paladins and Rangers.

As Twitch said, the happy patch is just overall superior if you want to keep party members, especially since evil actions do NOT pay nearly as well as good actions.