This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Recommended attribute points for a Paladin?

#1sogar3Posted 7/19/2011 11:45:40 AM
Anyone wanna recommend me where to put my attribute points for my paladin during the character creation screen?
#2konokonohamaruPosted 7/19/2011 11:47:51 AM
How much of a munchkin (aka power-gamer) are you?

I'd say in order of importance:

Strength (you'll probably want max it), Dexterity, Constitution, Wisdom

INT and CHA don't really matter. CHA will be 17+ anyway
#3Zeran_kariashiPosted 7/19/2011 11:56:05 AM
Dex/Con/str max them in that order. Keep int at least 11 for when you have to fight mind flayers.

Strength belts are fairly common and your front line fighter will always have a strength belt on so just get what you can. Paladins can be hard to roll for since they need good rolls in their physical stats, but have have stupidly high minimum requirements on stats they don't need at all.

The rest don't matter at all. Paladins get no benefit whatsoever from Wisdom. And charisma is pretty much maxed due to the minimum requirement so at most you can only potentially salvage 1 point from it.
#4sogar3(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2011 12:13:44 PM
I don't know what a power gamer is. So Dex is important? I thought it wasn't very important for Paladins. Am I not to put any points in Charisma at all? Isn't that their most important stat?
#5GriffinHeartPosted 7/19/2011 12:24:28 PM
sogar3 posted...
I don't know what a power gamer is. So Dex is important? I thought it wasn't very important for Paladins. Am I not to put any points in Charisma at all? Isn't that their most important stat?

More dex = more armor class = less getting hit. Charisma only makes you better prices at shops, it's an "important" stat only because the game doesn't allow you to dump it beyond a certain point.

Don't worry too much about getting 18/00 strength because you'll find items that will set it at various high values. Constitution is good to have.
---
I like to think that my bard sings Manowar songs.
#6sogar3(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2011 12:30:54 PM
What should my cha be at the start then, 8?

Can you guys give me a list of how my stats are suppose to look like in the beginning?
Like, Strength, 18, Dex 18, int 11, ect.
#7rhemorigherPosted 7/19/2011 12:50:03 PM(edited)
STR 14+ (Use strength improving items)
DEX 16-18
CON 18
INT 11
WIS {edit]13 I thought 14 was the lowest [/edit]
CHA 17

Will probably take a while to roll that many, maybe drop dex a little.
---
The madness of being normal explains the rationality of going crazy
Life is measured not by the breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away
#8Zeran_kariashiPosted 7/19/2011 1:17:03 PM(edited)
Power gaming would be maximizes your benefits by sacrificing things that don't really help for that purpose, rather then trying to conform the character to a role.

Part of the thing I hate about 2nd edition is that except for a couple things, there's literally no benefit between 8-14 on most stats.

Str gives some extra carry weight and a negligible chance to bash locks.

Dex gives..........nothing.

Con gives nothing, unless you're a dwarf/gnome/halfling in which case they get a minor Save bonus.

Int gives a pathetic chance to learn spells from scrolls.

Wis gives nothing that I'm aware of...maybe 1 extra 1st/2nd level spell, at most (For clerics).

Cha gives a negligable reaction modifier and a slight discount.

For good benefits for a paladin-

Ideally 18/00 str, 18 dex, 18 con, 11 int, 13 wis, 17 cha would be about as close to perfect that you could get. At the very least you want 18 dex, 18 con, 11 int. Steal what points you're able from Wis, str, cha.

Str
16 +1 damage
17 +1 hit +1 damage
18/(01-100) +1 hit +3 damage(the warrior bonus gives up to +3 hit +6 damage at 18/00)

Dex
15 -1 AC
16 -2 AC
17 -3 AC
18 -4 AC

Con
15 +1 hp/level
16 +2 hp/level
17 +3 hp/level (warrior only)
18 +4 hp/level (warrior only)

Int
15+ gives a bonus to lore (very very small) (keep it at 11+ for mind flayers, they drain intelligence every time they hit and it WILL kill you if it hits 0, also it's not a proper stat drain so there's no way to counter it except to wait for it to run out.)

Wis
15+ gives a bonus to lore (very very small) - minimum 13

Cha
15+ Gives much better reaction and discounts come higher per point - Minimum 17

To counter low strength-

There's a str belt right near the start of the game that sets str to 19, though it's reasonably expensive for that stage (around 13000 gold).

There's also a mace you can buy in the slums that sets your str to 18/00 while equipped which is about....4000-ish gold if memory serves

Technically there's a pair of gloves that sets dex to 18, but there's also a lot of good bracers that would be MUCH more effective, which is why I recommend getting a raw 18 dex. There's also a belt that sets Con to 18 for several hours once per day, that you could swap out with a str belt, but it's much less annoying to just get 18 con to start. Natural str is the only stat that WILL be replaced by gear over the course of the game that won't hinder anything.
#9batman_pwnsPosted 7/20/2011 2:43:15 AM
Zeran_kariashi posted...
Natural str is the only stat that WILL be replaced by gear over the course of the game that won't hinder anything.

Wrong. You won't be able to wear the belt from Trademeet that cuts pure magical damage (like from Horrid Wilting) in half.

Natural strength is still best. You can even get a higher natural strength than you can obtain from belts. The best belt is fire giant strength (22). You can get a natural 23. (18 + 1 from BG1 tome + 1 from Lum's machine + 1 from deck of many things + 2 from hell trials.) A half-orc could even get a 24 natural strength since he can start at 19.
#10red255Posted 7/20/2011 5:09:46 AM
yeah natural strength, especially if you get the BG1 bonuses is best.

Because if you start at 18 + 1 BG1 Manual +1 Machine of Lum the mad. +5 level 15 draw upon holy might. Belting from Gear is a thing I don't understand why people recommend.

sure you can use a belt to fix someone who was given 15 STR as a warrior. But it never seemed like a reasonable solution.
---
If the next one is called, because of his MO, the underwear bomber, you'll know I'm on to something. Calvin Trillin June 16, 2006.