This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Celestial Fury or Short Sword of Mask?

#1rpj2099Posted 3/4/2012 4:17:54 PM
I plan on playing through TOB with a solo Kensai then Dual Classing her to a Thief at level 13.

A few questions:

1. Do I choose the Katana Specialization for Celestial Fury or save some gold and purchase the Short Sword of the Mask?

2. Also, if I spend 5 points in a weapon specialization, do I keep them when I reach level 13 as a thief?

3. Dual Classing Advice: I was thinking Celestial Fury/Belm, Short Sword of Mask/Kudane, Short Sword of Mask/Pixie Prik, Celestial Fury/Short Sword of Mask

Which are the most effective? I also want to rp a little so please suggest weapon combinations that would find a good balance and I am not interested in using the Staff of the Ram

Thank you
#2mikel123456Posted 3/4/2012 5:54:39 PM
1) Gold won't be an issue for you as a solo character, so don't base your decision on that.

2) At level 14, but yes, you will get your proficiencies back once your dual-class is complete.

3) I like Celestial Fury more than Short Sword of Mask. Entangle isn't that effective in melee combat, since they can still hit you if you're right next to them swinging your katana. Would be a much more useful ability if it was on a bow. The CF stun happens probably about the same rate as the entangle, but is much more useful, since you don't have to worry about attacks or spells. Plus you get a little extra damage out of it, as opposed to the SS of Mask. And there's the other once-a-day abilities, which are nice as well.
#3red255Posted 3/4/2012 5:56:28 PM
why are you dualing to theif if you don't plan on backstabbing?

and even if you were, scarlet ninja to would beat belm.
---
If the next one is called, because of his MO, the underwear bomber, you'll know I'm on to something. Calvin Trillin June 16, 2006.
#4atakdougPosted 3/4/2012 6:42:59 PM(edited)
Where did he say he wasn't planning on backstabbing?

I agree with Mikel that if those are the two choices, celestial fury is far stronger. Entangle just doesn't get you much even when it hits, and celestial fury has better effects and better damage.

As for role-playing issues, I have no idea what you think is appropriate for your character. I suppose you can RP that a thief shouldn't be using a katana, but that's pretty weak and regardless it's really just a matter of your personal proclivities.

Of the combinations you listed, the one with an attacks-per-round enhancer in the off hand is best, so that's anything/belm, though of course red is right that swapping in the scarlet ninja to once you get UAI is quite a bit better than that plus katana+ninja to makes role playing sense imo.
#5rpj2099Posted 3/4/2012 6:55:18 PM
Thanks for the quick replies.

Celestial Fury and Belm is probably going to be the way to go.
I used the weapon before and it was amazing. I forgot that Entangle doesn't completely stun the opponent so they can still
strike back against close quarter opponents.

What I meant by rp was nothing too far off in terms of weapon combinations such as a hammer and katana
but combinations that made more sense such as Katina/scimitar, short sword/dagger, etc.
#6Zeran_kariashiPosted 3/4/2012 8:02:37 PM(edited)
You'll need a back-up main hand for things requiring +4 or higher to hit. CoF doesn't upgrade. Could go longswords, plenty to choose from, or bastard swords for improved foebane

Unless there's a specific roleplay in mind, Flail of Ages is the Main hand of choice if you don't plan on Backstabbing, easy to get, powerful and the slowing effect is brutal, MUCH better then a stun proc. with Improved mace of disruption in your other slot for when dealing with level drainers.
#7atakdougPosted 3/4/2012 9:26:35 PM
He has five stars in katana, though, so he'll likely be using hindo's doom at that point (except for Kangaxx).

That is one of the weaknesses of a celestial fury approach, though. Short sword of mask is +4 (and upgradable, not that it matters much).
#8mikel123456Posted 3/5/2012 5:06:31 AM
If only using two weapons throughout the game (CF and Belm), he could put ***** into katana and *** into two-weapon fighting. Then dual to a thief and put at least ** into scimitar at that point. That would get you 90% of the effectiveness of ***** anyways. Then you can use Usuno's Blade on the +4 enemies. It's available early in Watcher's Keep, so you can grab it before fighting Kangaxx.
#9rhemorigherPosted 3/5/2012 5:18:27 AM
mikel123456 posted...
If only using two weapons throughout the game (CF and Belm), he could put ***** into katana and *** into two-weapon fighting. Then dual to a thief and put at least ** into scimitar at that point. That would get you 90% of the effectiveness of ***** anyways. Then you can use Usuno's Blade on the +4 enemies. It's available early in Watcher's Keep, so you can grab it before fighting Kangaxx.

Good plan, and if you go deeper into Watcher's Keep there is also Spectral Brand +4 which has elemental damage and a summon ability and can be upgraded to +5 with the skull of a lich or somesuch for a damage boost.

I like scimitars and specialize characters in them sometimes, katanas I don't usually play with though, the main reason to go katana seems to be Celestial Fury and I usually skip the Guarded Compound, if for no other reason than it being short. If CF was at the end of a dungeon crawl then I would totally get it every time. A single fight on the other hand doesn't really grab my attention.
---
The madness of being normal explains the rationality of going crazy
Life is measured not by the breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away
#10joefitts63Posted 3/5/2012 10:21:30 AM(edited)
Just don't forget to have SOMETHING blunt. Clay golems are immune to all those lovely bladed weapons you are considering. Though I suppose you could just avoid them. What kind of murdering god child would you be then, though?

---
"Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull then ram it in an eye socket, I know I'm buildin' a better future." - Smiling Jack