This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Remember that Oklahoman pharmacist who killed the kid that attempted to rob his

#1CapoMafiaPosted 5/27/2011 3:36:09 PM
store?

He was convicted of murder. I remember we had a topic on this when it occurred so I thought this was worth posting:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/jury-convicts-oklahoma-pharmacist-once-called-a-hero-for-killing-robbery-suspect-at-drug-store/2011/05/26/AGeIOKCH_story.html

OKLAHOMA CITY — A jury Thursday convicted an Oklahoma City pharmacist of first-degree murder, saying he went too far when he pumped six bullets into a teenager who tried to rob the drug store where he worked, and suggested he spend the rest of his life in prison.

Jerome Ersland, 59, had been hailed as a hero for protecting two co-workers during the May 19, 2009, robbery attempt at the Reliable Discount Pharmacy in a crime-ridden neighborhood in south Oklahoma City.

A prosecutor, however, said that after Ersland shot Antwun Parker in the head, knocking the 16-year-old to the ground, Ersland made himself “judge, jury, executioner” by getting a second handgun and shooting the boy five times in the abdomen. A coroner’s report said the latter shots killed Parker.

---
http://www.last.fm/user/Butch_Deadlift
#2Heineken14Posted 5/27/2011 3:37:24 PM
Was the kid armed? Regardless, 6 shots is fairly excessive for someone already shot in the head and laying on the ground.
---
Rage is a hell of an anesthetic.
#3LSDXMDMA91Posted 5/27/2011 3:42:38 PM
Putting a 59 year old man behind bars for defending his property. What a country.
---
Disclaimer: I do not condone or endorse any of the actions or ideas posted above.
last.fm/user/doesntexist420
#4StartrekkyPosted 5/27/2011 3:46:31 PM
Wow, I'm amazed with the decision! I thought courts in this country were so disgustingly obsessed with property rights that they had no value for human life. What a pleasant turn of events!
---
With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably. --Picard
#5EternalSlimPosted 5/27/2011 4:08:45 PM(edited)
Weird that he was convicted in Oklahoma of all places.

You know what we won't see in this thread? People who normally see racism in everything backpeddling a bit and saying "wow, I guess there is some justice when a white man in a super conservative state guns down an unarmed black kid and then massively overkills him".

This is not to say that racism does not play a significant role in the justice system as a whole, but admitting something was done right here undermines that gripe.

Definite overkill. No excuse for doing that to someone who is already utterly subdued.

---
"While citing sources may be nice, it does not nor should it add to the credibility of the article." ~ OMGWTFPIE
#6Genesis DragonPosted 5/27/2011 4:01:49 PM
LSDXMDMA91 posted...
Putting a 59 year old man behind bars for defending his property. What a country.

He was defending his property with the first shot. The next five cannot be excused.

If he had fired them all at once, I would see a justification. If the kid had even stood back up, I could see a reasonable justification for the shots. But that wasn't the case here. He shot the teen once, knocking him unconscious, then left the building to go after the other robber, came back in, picked up a second gun, and shot that same teen - an unconscious, wounded, defenseless teen who was no longer a threat - five times.

Five more bullets spent executing him than defending anyone. That's not self-defense, that's not justifiable, that's murder.
---
Using my brain of course
http://fulltimeink.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/kyra_using_brain.jpg
#7OMGWTFPIEPosted 5/27/2011 4:04:36 PM

You want to rob my property? You're dead.

When I was like 6 years old or so I took a small rubber basketball from my friend's house without asking him if I could have it. Should I be dead?
---
Maybe it's time you looked at yourself and stop blaming life on someone else.
http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20090602.gif
#8EternalSlimPosted 5/27/2011 4:07:45 PM

When I was like 6 years old or so I took a small rubber basketball from my friend's house without asking him if I could have it. Should I be dead?

Yes.
---
"While citing sources may be nice, it does not nor should it add to the credibility of the article." ~ OMGWTFPIE
#9EternalSlimPosted 5/27/2011 4:08:15 PM

He was defending his property with the first shot. The next five cannot be excused.

If he had fired them all at once, I would see a justification. If the kid had even stood back up, I could see a reasonable justification for the shots. But that wasn't the case here. He shot the teen once, knocking him unconscious, then left the building to go after the other robber, came back in, picked up a second gun, and shot that same teen - an unconscious, wounded, defenseless teen who was no longer a threat - five times.

Eh, alright. I'll give that to you.
---
#10ThePooootHunterPosted 5/27/2011 4:08:25 PM
what in the **** I'm actually agreeing with PIE
---
Times punching Minipoooot: 46
"You Snake fans are as dumb as ever"- GANON1025 lol