This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Obama apologists, why didn't you like Bush?

#1Sparkle_DelightPosted 6/11/2011 6:23:40 AM
After all, he was a war hawk and a culture warrior in his first term, so why didn't you "hold out hope" he'd suddenly change in his second term?
---
Consult your pineal gland?
#2daviddPosted 6/11/2011 6:33:00 AM
There's a difference between invading countries with no compelling reason and targeted strikes against specific targets. Bush's drone strikes in Pakistan were among his best military decisions, Obama expanding that in Pakistan and other countries is great.

I was not a fan of the escalation in Afghanistan however, and it would be great if there is a significant drawdown next month.
#3Masta CroutonPosted 6/11/2011 6:35:21 AM
What is the point of this topic?

Oooh, I'm going to make a witty (loosely used here) comment, and people are totally gonna be completely amazed and heap praise on me!

This kind of ignorant bull**** is what's ruining this country.
---
I'm frothing with rage I'm so mad at this board and the people defending this. I'm literally foaming at the mouth while crying.- HariSeldon
#4wstfldPosted 6/11/2011 6:37:42 AM
He had a War on Terror to manage, including two occupations with insurgencies. There wasn't really much else going on until the financial crisis. I don't know if you can call Obama a war hawk for launching strikes against terrorists; I don't think surgical strikes are really comparable with a full scale invasion based on incorrect intelligence. I don't know if you can call him a culture warrior either; I'm not aware of any important social push like an amendment to ban gay marriage or funding cuts to stem cell research based on religious grounds.
---
Now Playing: GTA Liberty City Stories, LBP, Pursuit Force, Super Star Dust HD
Up Next: Vanquish
#5Sparkle_Delight(Topic Creator)Posted 6/11/2011 6:43:14 AM
Nice, so dems were anti-war until Obama got into office. Now the war on terror went from a late-night punchline to our patriotic duty.

As for culture wars, try his war on piracy on drugs. Somehow, I think rigid regulation of the internet will be more damaging than denying abortions somewhere in Africa.
---
#6Insomniac HyperpunkPosted 6/11/2011 6:54:15 AM(edited)
1. Presiding over the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression that has wrecked the world's economy
2. Pointless tax cuts for the wealthy that have contributed to huge deficits.
3. Poor spending priorities (e.g. Medicare Part D) that also helped to run up the deficit to unsustainable levels.
4. Attempting to privatize social security.

5. Charging headlong into an unnecessary war under pretenses that turned out to be false.
6. Running that war incompetently.
7. Damaging America's reputation around the world through his unilateral action, blithe disdain for international bodies and law, and inflammatory rhetoric.

8. Gutting environmental regulations and putting industry lobbyists at the head of those agencies tasked with protecting the environment.
9. Pervasive corporatism, cronyism and corruption
10. Encouraging the teaching of intelligent design in public schools, denying the reality of anthropogenic climate change, and sundry other crimes against science.

11. Detaining an american citizen for years without charge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Padilla_%28prisoner%29#Habeas_corpus).
12. Numerous other restrictions on civil liberties without good cause, especially the NSA wiretapping program.
13. Opening the Guantanamo Bay detention center as a legal black hole where human rights have no meaning.
14. Torturing terror suspects in US custody and via extraordinary rendition.
---
...just when I had you wriggling in the crushing grip of reason, too.
#7Sparkle_Delight(Topic Creator)Posted 6/11/2011 6:58:49 AM
I take it (1), (2), (3), arguably (5), (6), inverse of (7) (neglection of congressional approval in foreign policy endeavors, rather than international bodies), (8), (9), and especially (11), (12), (13), and (14) don't bother you that much, because Obama is guilty of all of these.
---
#8Insomniac HyperpunkPosted 6/11/2011 7:03:19 AM
Obama has continued these bad policies of his own accord (although he pursues them to a far lesser extent than Bush):

9. Pervasive corporatism, cronyism and corruption
12. Numerous other restrictions on civil liberties without good cause, especially the NSA wiretapping program.

Obama has been forced to continue these bad policies for political reasons:

2. Pointless tax cuts for the wealthy that have contributed to huge deficits.
13. Opening the Guantanamo Bay detention center as a legal black hole where human rights have no meaning.
---
...just when I had you wriggling in the crushing grip of reason, too.
#9Sparkle_Delight(Topic Creator)Posted 6/11/2011 7:13:35 AM
"To a far lesser extent" is a subjective claim. You have nothing to back that up. He has not only continued wiretapping policies; he has greatly expanded them.
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/03/18/obama-admin-proposes-wiretapping-media-pirates/
http://www.progressive.org/mag_wx0602408

As for your "blame Congress" argument wrt Gitmo, sorry, but you're wrong.
http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2011/03/08/guantanamo.

I wonder when democrats will actually begin to hold their president accountable, rather than blaming republicans for everything.
---
#10Insomniac HyperpunkPosted 6/11/2011 7:36:16 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]