This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

In the form of our free-market economy conducted in America

#1Yawn_Master2Posted 7/4/2011 8:13:47 PM
Is it possible for our wealthiest to figuratively and literally purchase more wealth? At a certain point you have so much money, that it's nearly impossible for you to not make more money from it. So with all of this excess wealth, don't the wealthy just collect interest, purchase profitable businesses, and control as many aspects of government as they can through lobbyists. This is not some new concept, in fact it's probably been posted here before, but my question is, how is this a sustainable system? eventually the division between rich and poor will grow, and the economic parity of America will diminish even more so than it already has. Are there any ideas, solutions, or something that I am missing that will correct this problem?
#2Barenziah Boy ToyPosted 7/4/2011 10:29:33 PM
^ property, estate, corporate, capital-gains, etc., taxes exist for this very reason.
---
You don't need a treaty to have free trade. M Rothbard
{Self-Hating Token Asian of the Ivory Tower's Zionist Elite}
#3Yawn_Master2(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2011 10:33:19 AM
is it enough though? Those taxes hurt everybody, not equally, but it's not all directed at the rich.
#4RufusNKenRSTierPosted 7/6/2011 8:49:17 AM
Ask Rytheo about it. Make sure to mention Groucho marx.
---
Proud, living example of detatched cynical liberalism
#5sfcalimariPosted 7/6/2011 10:15:54 AM
Yawn_Master2 posted...
is it enough though? Those taxes hurt everybody, not equally, but it's not all directed at the rich.

ITT "everybody" leaves $10 million to their kids.
---
http://img860.imageshack.us/img860/7074/stewbeef.png
#6Darkman124Posted 7/6/2011 10:20:46 AM
Honestly, I could live on 50% of my current paycheck. The 50% I do not spend is invested, often in commodity speculation funds.
---
Life is not a zero sum game.
#7Yawn_Master2(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2011 10:25:52 PM
sfcalimari posted...

ITT "everybody" leaves $10 million to their kids.

yeah clearly.