This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PASTAfarian sues+wins the right to wear a strainer on his head for his photoID

#1Barenziah Boy ToyPosted 7/13/2011 12:01:52 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14135523

Austrian driver's religious headgear strains credulity

An Austrian atheist has won the right to be shown on his driving-licence photo wearing a pasta strainer as "religious headgear". Niko Alm first applied for the licence three years ago after reading that headgear was allowed in official pictures only for confessional reasons. Mr Alm said the sieve was a requirement of his religion, pastafarianism. The Austrian authorities required him to obtain a doctor's certificate that he was "psychologically fit" to drive.

The idea came into Mr Alm's noodle three years ago as a way of making a serious, if ironic, point. A self-confessed atheist, Mr Alm says he belongs to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, a light-hearted faith whose members call themselves pastafarians. The group's website states that "the only dogma allowed in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is the rejection of dogma".

In response to pressure for American schools to teach the Christian theory known as intelligent design, as an alternative to natural selection, the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote to the Kansas School Board asking for the pastafarian version of intelligent design to be taught to schoolchildren, as an alternative to the Christian theory.

In the same spirit, Mr Alm's pastafarian-style application for a driving licence was a response to the Austrian recognition of confessional headgear in official photographs. The licence took three years to come through and, according to Mr Alm, he was asked to submit to a medical interview to check on his mental fitness to drive but - straining credulity - his efforts have finally paid off.

It is the police who issue driving licences in Austria, and they have duly issued a laminated card showing Mr Alm in his unorthodox item of religious headgear. The next step, Mr Alm told the Austrian news agency APA, is to apply to the Austrian authorities for pastafarianism to become an officially recognised faith.

---
You don't need a treaty to have free trade. M Rothbard
{Self-Hating Token Asian of the Ivory Tower's Zionist Elite}
#2Magus1947Posted 7/13/2011 12:07:18 PM
There are too many people who don't know the difference between being an individual and being a jackass.
---
In the corrupted currents of this world, offence's gilded hand may shove by justice, and oft 'tis seen the wicked prize itself buys out the law
#3Barenziah Boy Toy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2011 12:08:17 PM
There are too many people who don't know the difference between being an individual and being a jackass.

Who is he hurting by doing this funny thing?

---
#4Barenziah Boy Toy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2011 12:12:48 PM
How is this any different from Stephen Colbert applying and getting permission to form his SuperPAC-pac?

---
#5mystic belmontPosted 7/13/2011 12:15:56 PM
Truly he has been touched by the great noodly appendage.
---
Again I must reiterate that I did not plagiarize twice, I copied two assignments once. - tuffguy34
[Evil Republican]
#6coachrochePosted 7/13/2011 12:23:49 PM
Barenziah Boy Toy posted...

Who is he hurting by doing this funny thing?

Article didn't mention anything funny, please elaborate
---
Signature will not change until my signature changes. Started last time I changed my signature.
#7TaiIs82Posted 7/13/2011 12:26:44 PM
And yet, most atheists would say it's not a religion.
---
Lover of free speech and America, defender of life, winner on all counts. Oh, and it's a choice.
6 recoveries, 43 shut ups, 5 price is right losing horns.
#8LikelyYourDadPosted 7/13/2011 12:30:11 PM
TaiIs82 posted...

All atheists would say it is not. Because...you guessed it - it's not.
---
http://i.imgur.com/8DR8r.jpg
#9StarksPosted 7/13/2011 12:33:21 PM
who gets to say what's a religion and what isn't?

christianity started with one person who had an idea.
---
Core Duo T2050 | 2GB RAM | i945GM | 160 GB | 3.0-rc7 | GNOME-Shell
The soul and savior, OT-chan: http://i.imgur.com/MZfb7.jpg
#10mystic belmontPosted 7/13/2011 12:44:48 PM
TaiIs82 posted...

It's a joke religion.
---
Again I must reiterate that I did not plagiarize twice, I copied two assignments once. - tuffguy34
[Evil Republican]