This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PASTAfarian sues+wins the right to wear a strainer on his head for his photoID

#41NoSite4OldCEmenPosted 7/14/2011 8:33:29 AM
All he did was basically make a test. If other religions are offended by his actions, then it exposes their hypocrisy.

I personally wouldn't care at all if he actually believed in pastafarian and felt the need to wear a strainer. But as I mentioned in my earlier post, if he's not walking around everyday with a strainer than he clearly just wanted to make a spectacle of himself and doesn't actually believe. And since he used this belief to have an exception for him on a government issue id, that is fraud. Additionally, he probably had to testify in court that he genuinely believed this, which is perjury if he doesn't. There's a difference between the state accommodating different people's needs and someone just trying to abuse the system.
---
The Internet is a Series of Tubes
#42NoSite4OldCEmenPosted 7/14/2011 8:40:53 AM
I don't know why people are getting pissed about this. There's no reason why any other religion gets to be treated at a higher status than Pastafarianism, even is Pastafarianism is a joke religion.

So joke religions should get the same treatment as real religions? Should pretend presidents get the same treatment and security access as the the real president? Like I said, if he actually believes it then I don't care and I'm glad he got the recognition he deserves. But if he doesn't actually believe it then it's not a religion and therefore shouldn't be treated as such.
---
The Internet is a Series of Tubes
#43KinethPosted 7/14/2011 8:43:57 AM
So joke religions should get the same treatment as real religions?

Given the origins of Mormonism and Scientology, the answer is yes. The law is meant to not restrict religious expression, whatever it is.
---
http://i53.tinypic.com/2mfdvsg.gif
www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwkKqkwd0n0 www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzJacqsFNfo www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnHLgxKUsEA
#44JAyBoPosted 7/14/2011 8:46:30 AM
Except that the bounds of a 'fake religion' and a 'real religion' are almost identical. That's the entire point of this thing. What makes something a 'real religion' is LITERALLY just whatever the **** is in your imagination. And the only reason any religion has gets accepted above another is purely based on popularity.

That, to me, is fairly interesting. It's also fairly important when we, as a people, CAN'T legally do a lot of things unless it's in our brains, based on absolutely nothing tangible that we must.

This wouldn't be a big deal if any guy could wear a pasta bowl on his head. He can only do it if he 'believes' in it. Which is, in terms of law, kind of ****ing absurd.