This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

McConnell would choose to help America, but is obligated to help his party

#1Megumi samaPosted 7/13/2011 4:02:54 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/13/mcconnell-on-his-debt-cei_n_897124.html

"[W]e knew shutting down the government in 1995 was not going to work for us. It helped Bill Clinton get reelected. I refuse to help Barack Obama get reelected by marching Republicans into a position where we have co-ownership of a bad economy," McConnell said. "It didn't work in 1995. What will happen is the administration will send out notices to 80 million Social Security recipients and to military families and they will all start attacking members of Congress. That is not a useful place to take us. And the president will have the bully pulpit to blame Republicans for all this disruption."

"If we go into default he will say Republicans are making the economy worse," he concluded. "And all of a sudden we have co-ownership of a bad economy. That is a very bad position going into an election. My first choice was to do something important for the country. But my second obligation is to my party and my conference to prevent them from being sucked into a horrible position politically that would allow the president, probably, to get reelected because we didn't handle this difficult situation correctly."

Yes, "LOL HUFFINGTON POST" but they have the audio from the Laura Ingraham Show where he said this. Frankly I've been surprised at how candid he has been this whole time that any position he advocates is more primarily motivated to pursue political victories than policy victories. It's true of most politicians, but he's just so open about doing things he doesn't necessarily think is the best policy if he thinks it will protect his caucus and hurt Democrats.
---
We're the only Marvel title that features squirrels. And do you really want a squirrel-free comic? I don't think so. - Dan Slott, on GLA
#2Billy Bob JoePosted 7/13/2011 7:06:56 PM
And republicans will continue to vote for him. ****ing disgusting. When you can say "well I could have helped the country but **** that there's a black man in the white house" and there's no backlash... ugh.
---
The free market will decide whether you steer your Escalade into a nursery school or not. - Cruithear
http://www.youtube.com/user/BillyBobJoeIsaac
#3RogueStrikerPosted 7/13/2011 7:28:17 PM
After reading that quote, I'm definitely moving to Canada.
---
Gotta love Photon Cannon.
#4Megumi sama(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2011 7:51:35 PM
Billy Bob Joe posted...
And republicans will continue to vote for him. ****ing disgusting. When you can say "well I could have helped the country but **** that there's a black man in the white house" and there's no backlash... ugh.

Ezra Klein made a good observation the other day that since McConnell has no actual ability to influence policy (he can't filibuster a debt ceiling increase; it is a budgetary matter) then of course he cares more about political results than policy results. Still, I just am amazed by his lack of tact; the fact that he chose to call serving the interest of this nation (you know, the thing that he took an oath of office to do?) a choice but says that making sure Red Team beats Blue Team is an obligation.

And Colbert was amazing on this whole thing just now (usually not a fan of his over-the-top strawman style): "Obama is telling Republicans not to call his bluff, but isn't he calling their bluff by saying that? And isn't it an opportunistic move for him to call their bluff just because they are openly telling their supporters they're bluffing?"
---
We're the only Marvel title that features squirrels. And do you really want a squirrel-free comic? I don't think so. - Dan Slott, on GLA
#5LuigisBroPosted 7/13/2011 9:16:37 PM
surprise, surprise, McConnell's practically admitted his proposal's designed to do nothing more than to defeat Obama, the Dems will also end up having to back Obama 3 times on raising the debt ceiling, so anyone who thinks that they'll be shielding themselves by passing this responsibility onto Obama is just fooling themselves, that's why any Dem who's thought for moment about actually supporting this is pretty stupid
---
TGS predictions - slimmer PS3, NGP - $199, PS3 DQX, PS3 gets PS2 bc, Cafe - $599, Zelda SS moved to Cafe
#6-Kicksave-Posted 7/13/2011 11:19:21 PM(edited)
I'm reading this totally differently.

He's saying those words to appease the conservative base, who are BEYOND LIVID at him for basically giving Obama a blank check to raise the debt ceiling without any concessions required (check out Fox News comments).

Having watched McConnell the past couple weeks, all he cares about is doing the right thing here, which is to raise the debt ceiling no matter what (so that the Democrat/GOP impasse doesn't destroy the country economically if they cannot come to agreement).

He's consistently been more councilatory than his House colleagues, and if you don't believe me, Tea Party leaders are basically calling for his head.
#7Magus1947Posted 7/14/2011 6:02:28 AM
McConnell, unlike Democrats, understands how news is perceived outside the beltway. He understood that between 2008 and 2010 he could endlessly filibuster everything and instead of being reported as, "Republicans engage in historic obstructionism, altering the Constitutional rules of how Congress was designed to operate", it gets blurb of, "Congress failed to meet the 60 vote requirement to pass <blah>".
---
In the corrupted currents of this world, offence's gilded hand may shove by justice, and oft 'tis seen the wicked prize itself buys out the law
#8Magus1947Posted 7/14/2011 6:10:36 AM
Kicksave posted...
I'm reading this totally differently.

He's saying those words to appease the conservative base, who are BEYOND LIVID at him for basically giving Obama a blank check to raise the debt ceiling without any concessions required (check out Fox News comments).

Having watched McConnell the past couple weeks, all he cares about is doing the right thing here, which is to raise the debt ceiling no matter what (so that the Democrat/GOP impasse doesn't destroy the country economically if they cannot come to agreement).

He's consistently been more councilatory than his House colleagues, and if you don't believe me, Tea Party leaders are basically calling for his head.

McConnell was happy to put the debt ceiling in jeopardy a few months ago.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/05/mcconnell-medicare-must-be-cut-to-raise-debt-limit.php

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) says substantial Medicare cuts must be part of a spending and deficit cut package to get his support to raise the debt limit.

The reason he's trying to get it passed now? Because.

http://motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2011/07/has-wall-street-given-boehner

McConnell was taking very serious back-channel heat from Wall Street because the conclusion was that there was no reliable leadership in the House with Boehner unable to control his caucus and Cantor making his leadership play now.

The Republicans started a fight with massive stakes and are now tearing themselves apart over it: the base (with more influence in the House) wants a default regardless of the consequences, the moneymen want the ceiling raised.
---
In the corrupted currents of this world, offence's gilded hand may shove by justice, and oft 'tis seen the wicked prize itself buys out the law
#9KoolAssAssassinPosted 7/14/2011 6:46:27 AM
I'm sorry, I don't care if he was trying to be media savvy or not. Those comments are horrible and pretty much define everything that is wrong with the government now. The fact that he would go and say something like that and still be expected to be taken seriously is disgusting.

1) The Republicans already own part of this bad economy. What is he talking about? Obama inherited a bad economy from a Republican controlled government. It's true he hasn't exactly fixed it in his time in office, but the Republicans have regained some their power and yet the economy is only getting worse. This guy seems to think that he and his party can just look the other way while the country burns, and then blame it all on the president come election time. That's just terrible.

2) I don't care how anyone chooses to interpret what he said based on his potential intentions. The fact is this guy basically implied that making his party look good is more important than helping the country. Again, even if he's trying to exercise some media cleverness, saying something like that is just horrible. Surely he could have come up with a better way to appease constituents than promoting the ideaology that it's more important to support your party than to attempt to improve conditions in the country.