This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

It was speculated that Republicans would backdoor defund Obamacare

#1HadriPosted 7/13/2011 9:09:35 PM
Have they actually done anything like that? Most of what i remember of this Congress has been endless political fights about fiscal issues. The idea of full repeal raises its head in campaigning, but did the Republican Congress actually pass some bills that weakened the Affordable Care Act? I remember that there was a lot of writing that they would probably do this after the midterms, but since then I'm surprised that I've never read about an attempt to actually do so.

Obviously they would still like to kill it, so have they done something quietly that wasn't reported on? Or is their strategy to push it off and hope to win the presidency first?
---
Fight the orbits as they drive us
#2chaos knightPosted 7/13/2011 9:11:10 PM
Obamacare, when passed, actually came with backdoor funding to prevent this. Which pissed the far right off to no end.
---
Seattle Sports, yo
Not changing sig until Chone Figgins is gone from Seattle - Started 6/22/11
#3Hadri(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2011 9:27:16 PM
Do you mind elaborating? I'd never heard that before.
---
#4chaos knightPosted 7/13/2011 9:31:09 PM
http://hotair.com/archives/2011/02/21/obamacare-funding-still-in-place-in-new-budget/

That sounds about what I was thinking of.
---
Seattle Sports, yo
#5mizukage2Posted 7/13/2011 9:34:51 PM
So thats why they are so desperate to strike it down in courts, because they don't have a hope in hell of nickel and dime'ing it.
---
http://gerardwhyte.net/images/misc/reaganomics.jpg
#6chaos knightPosted 7/13/2011 9:36:49 PM
Yeah, considering that was written back in February and the debt ceiling talks are happening now, it seems the GOP gave up on the issue. They basically said '**** IT' and decided to try sweeping it under the rug instead.
---
Seattle Sports, yo
#7Hadri(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2011 10:04:16 PM
Forcing cuts without raising high-income tax revenue may be a part of their new tactics then, considering medicare and social security have been brought up in the spending cut debates.

Maybe they hope they can cause underfunded government institutions to collapse now rather than waiting to see if Obamacare really does reduce costs.
---