This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

GOP: We'll discontinue the EPA & DoE if we take Senate/White House.

#1CruithearPosted 7/28/2011 6:14:54 AM(edited)
As ThinkProgress has extensively reported, the new Republican Congress, elected with tens of millions in polluter-funded attack ads, campaign contributions, and shadowy front groups, has made weakening environmental safeguards, particularly from the EPA, a top priority. Now, Rep. Mike Rogers (R-AL) is making it even more explicit: if Americans elect more Republicans to office in the 2012 elections, the GOP will get rid of the EPA.

Speaking on an Internet radio program yesterday, Rogers explained that a Republican-controlled House, Senate, and White House would make “dramatic changes,” not only in gutting Medicare and Social Security, but discontinuing the EPA:

ROGERS: You know the fact is, if in fact I think the American people do next November what they started last November, that is, cleaning house, and we do get a Republican-controlled Senate and a Republican president, I think you going to see some dramatic structural changes in this country because we can’t continue to support this infrastructure we have. And I’m not talking about just changes to the trust funds and the entitlement programs. You know, we gotta look at what we really need to be doing, and what we don’t need to be doing. For example, we didn’t have an EPA under Jimmy Carter. Who says the federal government has to have an EPA. Every state has their own environmental protection agency. Why does the federal government need to be doing that? Department of Education: I’m a big believer that education is a state and local matter, why do we need a federal department of education? I think we’ll have to look at a lot of things that we’re doing at the federal level and ask ourselves, ‘is this really what the federal role?’ And if not, discontinue it.

http://thinkprogress.org/green/2011/07/27/280925/gop-2012-epa/

I'm not sure what the use of a bloated military is if all you're defending is a polluted wasteland filled with illiterates, but hey, everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Also, the EPA was started by Nixon... so yes, kittentoes, the EPA did exist under Carter...

Also, inb4 'waaaah thinkprogress george soros i'm too lazy to refute the content so i'll attack the source waaah'.

---
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj7opwKDIF1qb5gkjo1_500.jpg
#2NoName999Posted 7/28/2011 6:19:20 AM
Venus must be the Republicans favorite planet.
---
"This grass feels funny," Kirby thought. It feels like.... pants
#3Pale HorsemanPosted 7/28/2011 6:23:12 AM
God dammit...these people are just spewing out lies now and no one is holding them accountable. Our news networks are laughable, and I bet the only show to take what this guy said seriously would be the Daily Show...what the hell America?!?!
---
Steam/PSN: SeraphimJulius
Mini Moose!!
#4eric112886Posted 7/28/2011 6:38:06 AM
Who says the federal government has to have an EPA. Every state has their own environmental protection agency. Why does the federal government need to be doing that?

This argument is so terrible it makes my brain hurt. Environmental issues aren't contained within arbitrary state borders.

Example: Arkansas decides to remove regulations for water pollution in order to attract businesses to their state. It works- businesses flock to the state because they are allowed to dispose of toxic waste by dumping it into the Mississippi River instead of properly disposing it, saving them a lot of money. But, surprise surprise, water flows downstream. Toxic waste will travel down to Louisiana and Mississippi, screwing up their water supply. Those states didn't vote for lax water standards, yet it's being unwillingly inflicted upon them.

Same thing with air pollution. Same thing with ozone layer damage. Etc, Etc.
---
merp
#5RocketSciencesPosted 7/28/2011 6:56:57 AM
What's to stop senate democrats from just endlessly filibustering?

Oh right, republicans would make them ACTUALLY FILIBUSTER.
---
Life is not a zero sum game.
#6Magus1947Posted 7/28/2011 7:29:33 AM
FYI tc, DoE is the acronym for the Department of Energy. Department of Education is ED.

I don't get the right-wing hatred for the ED that started with Reagan. We've had an ED for a hundred years. All that changed was it was made cabinet level instead of being a sub-department.
---
In the corrupted currents of this world, offence's gilded hand may shove by justice, and oft 'tis seen the wicked prize itself buys out the law
#7KryptikPosted 7/28/2011 7:29:39 AM
eric112886 posted...
Who says the federal government has to have an EPA. Every state has their own environmental protection agency. Why does the federal government need to be doing that?

This argument is so terrible it makes my brain hurt. Environmental issues aren't contained within arbitrary state borders.

Example: Arkansas decides to remove regulations for water pollution in order to attract businesses to their state. It works- businesses flock to the state because they are allowed to dispose of toxic waste by dumping it into the Mississippi River instead of properly disposing it, saving them a lot of money. But, surprise surprise, water flows downstream. Toxic waste will travel down to Louisiana and Mississippi, screwing up their water supply. Those states didn't vote for lax water standards, yet it's being unwillingly inflicted upon them.

Same thing with air pollution. Same thing with ozone layer damage. Etc, Etc.

Someone never told them that natural borders don't always coincide with political borders. That or they just don't freakin' care. I'm sure it's a mix of both.
---
"For the record the N-Gage had the best control setup than any other handheld ever." - ceder
Brawl FC - 3566-1363-7324 'KrptK'
#8TaiIs82Posted 7/28/2011 8:17:01 PM
I'm not sure what the use of a bloated military is if all you're defending is a polluted wasteland filled with illiterates

We got along fine without the EPA and DoE for decades. I was unaware America was an illiterate wasteland before these agencies singlehandedly saved us. It wasn't in any of my history books.
By the way, ending the DoE != ending education.
---
Lover of free speech and America, defender of life, winner on all counts. Oh, and it's a choice.
6 recoveries, 44 shut ups, 5 price is right losing horns.
#9mizukage2Posted 7/28/2011 8:24:30 PM
Republicans, not even bothering to hide the fact that they want to let their corporate overlords rape the land at will for profit and turn us into uneducated serfs since 2011.
---
http://gerardwhyte.net/images/misc/reaganomics.jpg