This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Rahm Emmanuel is scum; invokes a curfew with steep fines

#1swedish svenPosted 8/13/2011 5:06:46 PM
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=8303500

Mayor Rahm Emanuel plans to impose big fines on parents who let their children remain outside after curfew.

The law goes into effect September 18 and requires kids under 12 to be indoors by 8:30 p.m. Sunday to Thursday, 9 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays. For those between the ages of 12 and 16, it's 10 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, and 11 p.m. on the weekends.

The mayor says stepped up enforcement is part of his strategy to fight crime and save kids.

The mayor passed out information cards early Friday morning on the 95th Street Red Line stop along the Dan Ryan to drive home his point.

Chicago's curfew law was recently ratified by a 50-0 City Council vote, and now parents will be fined, $500 for a first offence, $1,000 for a second and $1,500 for a third, if their youngsters violate curfew.

"We have passed something to help parents be responsible, make sure that parents can say to their children, 'This is what the law is,' so parental responsibility and the law from City Council are aligned," said Mayor Emanuel.

All this is is a race tax. Most people that will be affected by this will be poor hispanics, blacks and the like who might not be able to afford a car or a way to reliably make sure their kids are home before curfew and it will slap them with a fine that they won't be able to pay. It's essentially a modern day version of Jim Crow era vagrancy laws.
---
"some guys said a mean thing about us now billions of dollars of labor-value vanish into the aether. capitalism." - some smart guy
#2Pale HorsemanPosted 8/13/2011 5:12:18 PM
How...how can they not make sure their kids are not home at 8:30pm at night?!?! If I had a child that was 12 or under and I could control them; then I am a horrible parent.
---
Steam/PSN: SeraphimJulius
Mini Moose!!
#3Hated_DarknessPosted 8/13/2011 5:19:53 PM
Deadfish loves police state.
#4LoshadtPosted 8/13/2011 5:20:23 PM
Parents who can't get their kids home in time for this curfew aren't very good parents.

So according to TC, minorities are bad parents.
---
Russian is my first language, so yes there may be a spelling error or two.
I'm not racist, I just hate other races.
#5GreenTreeClubPosted 8/13/2011 5:24:27 PM
Chicago is really a nightmare city to live in. It run by the most corrupt people in this country and now with this new law, it's like he's setting up a police state.
---
Ron Paul 2012 - Restore America Now
#6bsballa09Posted 8/13/2011 5:30:18 PM(edited)

Pretty much what he's saying.
---
GameFAQs: Where asking a question about PS3 trophies on the PS3 board is considered off topic.
#7swedish sven(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2011 5:59:26 PM(edited)
Parents who can't get their kids home in time for this curfew aren't very good parents.

Because a kid being out with their friends and a parent being unable to ensure they're home due to factors like the kid forgetting when they're supposed to be home or the parent being unable to contact them for whatever reason (maybe the kid doesn't have a cellphone or has one but is not answering it or has it off for example) or things like that are certainly well outside the realm of possibility.

It has nothing to do with "bad parents" and everything to do with being an easy money making venture for the city and is pretty blatantly targeted towards low income minorities who this will most likely have the greatest affect on by extorting money out of them. Or by feeding them into the prison system, (and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that there were prison industry lobbyists involved in donating to the people who voted on this) that exists to create a cycle of criminal behavior in order to keep feeding people into the system in order to make money, if they're unable to pay .
---
"some guys said a mean thing about us now billions of dollars of labor-value vanish into the aether. capitalism." - some smart guy
#8QWERTYASDFPosted 8/13/2011 6:00:29 PM
You do know this was passed because there are gangs of kids that would go out and beat people and rob stores.

The bigger outcry would be if nothing was done about these thugs.
---
"Violence is not the answer.
Sex is the answer." BlueRondo
#9LoshadtPosted 8/13/2011 6:08:32 PM
My american adoptive parents never had a car or a cell phone, they just told me when to be home and I did it. It's not a matter of money, it's a matter of respect and discipline. Unless you're saying minorities/poor people suck at parenting, then this law is neither racist nor classist (if that's a word).
---
Russian is my first language, so yes there may be a spelling error or two.
I'm not racist, I just hate other races.
#10EpsteinBarrPosted 8/13/2011 6:11:44 PM
If this will make parents step-up in being tougher on their kids, so be it.