This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is the ideal of a benevolent dictatorship a myth?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Is the ideal of a benevolent dictatorship a myth?
5 years ago#1
What do you think? I'm thinking yes.
It does not matter which one of us you vote for. Either way your planet is doomed. Doomed!-Bob Dole
5 years ago#2
I can't see one realistically happening.
Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
So...Manos: The Hands of Fate?
Manos: The Hands of Fate.
5 years ago#3
Infortunately yes just for the simple fact that you can't keep everyone happy.
"I AM AS FAR BEYOND MUTANTS AS THEY ARE AS FAR BEYOND YOU!" -- APOCALYPSE
5 years ago#4
Of course it's possible. Trujillo was so loved by his people that he received more votes than there were people living in the Dominican Republic. That's devotion right there.
Welcome to GameFAQs, the largest 90s styled forum with only a few modern features that nobody asked for.
5 years ago#5
No. Look at the former Yugoslavia. If you were Bosnian, Croatian, Macedonian, Serbian, or anything in between, everyone loved him. He was the only unifying force within a state that would later be driven into civil war.
Megaman vs. Mario, DREAMMATCH OF MILLENNIUM
5 years ago#6
It works in Heaven, but us mortals can't handle that much power.
The Internet is a Series of Tubes
5 years ago#7
Define benevolent.

There have been great leaders in the past with absolute power that did well for their country, empire w/e.

The problem was usually succession or dementia.
13 inches Epeen
5 years ago#8
A *permanent* benevolent dictatorship is a myth. Even if the first guy is not a jerk, the second guy invariably will be.
What makes a Greek tragedy a tragedy is that you can see it coming.
5 years ago#9
Bahamut posted...
A *permanent* benevolent dictatorship is a myth. Even if the first guy is not a jerk, the second guy invariably will be.

Not necessarily, but even if it isn't the second one somewhere down the line you will get a crazy guy in a position of absolute power.
http://gerardwhyte.net/images/misc/reaganomics.jpg
5 years ago#10
There are certainly some dictators who act in a fashion that benefits their country greatly, especially those that facilitate a transition to democracy. I'm thinking of Ataturk.
"You applied over those years a Lisa Simpson, Miko Miyazaki and Brianesque level of hypocrisy." - OldFrenchDragon
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Is the ideal of a benevolent dictatorship a myth?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived