This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is the ideal of a benevolent dictatorship a myth?

#1ColbertFan1337Posted 9/23/2011 12:21:36 PM
What do you think? I'm thinking yes.
---
It does not matter which one of us you vote for. Either way your planet is doomed. Doomed!-Bob Dole
#2TidusDaniel54Posted 9/23/2011 12:29:39 PM
I can't see one realistically happening.
Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
---
So...Manos: The Hands of Fate?
Manos: The Hands of Fate.
#3DieselJacknifePosted 9/23/2011 12:30:28 PM
Infortunately yes just for the simple fact that you can't keep everyone happy.
---
"I AM AS FAR BEYOND MUTANTS AS THEY ARE AS FAR BEYOND YOU!" -- APOCALYPSE
#4sfcalimariPosted 9/23/2011 12:31:07 PM
Of course it's possible. Trujillo was so loved by his people that he received more votes than there were people living in the Dominican Republic. That's devotion right there.
---
Welcome to GameFAQs, the largest 90s styled forum with only a few modern features that nobody asked for.
#5MegamanMarioPosted 9/23/2011 12:37:25 PM
No. Look at the former Yugoslavia. If you were Bosnian, Croatian, Macedonian, Serbian, or anything in between, everyone loved him. He was the only unifying force within a state that would later be driven into civil war.
---
Megaman vs. Mario, DREAMMATCH OF MILLENNIUM
#6NoSite4OldCEmenPosted 9/23/2011 12:45:49 PM
It works in Heaven, but us mortals can't handle that much power.
---
The Internet is a Series of Tubes
#7RodrigoErwinPosted 9/23/2011 12:49:20 PM
Define benevolent.

There have been great leaders in the past with absolute power that did well for their country, empire w/e.

The problem was usually succession or dementia.
---
13 inches Epeen
#8BahamutPosted 9/23/2011 1:00:44 PM
A *permanent* benevolent dictatorship is a myth. Even if the first guy is not a jerk, the second guy invariably will be.
---
What makes a Greek tragedy a tragedy is that you can see it coming.
#9mizukage2Posted 9/23/2011 1:24:23 PM
Bahamut posted...
A *permanent* benevolent dictatorship is a myth. Even if the first guy is not a jerk, the second guy invariably will be.

Not necessarily, but even if it isn't the second one somewhere down the line you will get a crazy guy in a position of absolute power.
---
http://gerardwhyte.net/images/misc/reaganomics.jpg
#10RedcountPosted 9/23/2011 2:04:58 PM
There are certainly some dictators who act in a fashion that benefits their country greatly, especially those that facilitate a transition to democracy. I'm thinking of Ataturk.
---
"You applied over those years a Lisa Simpson, Miko Miyazaki and Brianesque level of hypocrisy." - OldFrenchDragon