This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is the ideal of a benevolent dictatorship a myth?

#41Omnipotent_CowPosted 9/24/2011 12:29:15 PM
Just wait for Helios to take over, then everything will be great.
#42ForsakenHermitPosted 9/24/2011 1:23:17 PM
A dictator may start out as benevolent but 99 times out of 100 they become corrupted by power.
---
I will close this account if Final Fantasy XV is announced to be for either the Vita or 3DS.
Fire Yoichi Wada
#43TaiIs82Posted 9/24/2011 4:21:33 PM
The genuinely leftist, anarcho-syndicalist society established in Spain did not in any way resemble the USSR system, so it's pretty clear you don't really know what you're talking about.

Okay, explain it to me. I'm listening.
Be aware that the Soviets had their fingers in the country's affairs though.
---
Lover of free speech and America. Defender of life, winner on all counts. Oh, and it's a choice.
Top 1% of 261. 6 recoveries, 51 shut ups, 10 losing horns
#44RufusNKenRSTierPosted 9/24/2011 5:11:21 PM
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Emperor_of_Mankind
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/261-politics/59182173
#45Dante181Posted 9/24/2011 7:13:59 PM
TaiIs82 posted...
The genuinely leftist, anarcho-syndicalist society established in Spain did not in any way resemble the USSR system, so it's pretty clear you don't really know what you're talking about.

Okay, explain it to me. I'm listening.
Be aware that the Soviets had their fingers in the country's affairs though.

This is quite true. The USSR played just as big a role in crushing the Spanish Revolution as the fascists did, perhaps more.

I recommend reading through Gaston Leavl's writings on the Spanish Revolution (http://libcom.org/library/collectives-spanish-revolution-gaston-leval) to learn more about it. Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell is also very good.
---
Past Usernames:CloudRox, CloudRox2, Dante18, CrOxx
PSN ID: Crox1
#46andromedadude3Posted 9/24/2011 7:25:59 PM(edited)
In a similar vein, imagine if the Red Army had been defeated early on in Russia...so much suffering and death would've been averted.

Generalplan Ost suggests otherwise.

Edit: Unless you're referring to the civil war. Even then, your claim is pretty dubious.
---
"You think you do, but you don't."
#47gjc2007Posted 9/24/2011 7:27:12 PM

What do you think? I'm thinking yes.

Even if it wasn't a myth, it certainly isn't something to count on. It's like winning the lottery; sure, it COULD happen, but the chances are nill.
---
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.--Albert Einstein
#48RedcountPosted 9/25/2011 5:16:49 AM
I don't buy the argument that the Chinese are incapable of democratic self-government. I think that the increase in literacy rates and the industrialisation that the country has undergone to date has more than prepared the people to take full control of their destinies through an elected legislature.

Parliamentary democracy modelled on the Westminster model is a right of all civilised peoples, and I believe the Chinese to be a civilised people. The current oligarchy denies them their right to freedom of thought, conscience and expression, to free participation in the market, and the right to impose regulations supported by the weight of the electorate (such as environmental regulations and protections which are sorely needed in China).

Furthermore, democratic nations like Canada and many countries in Europe are able to provide superior public services to all their citizens (for example, national public healthcare and education) without abrogating their right to participation in the processes of government.
---
"You applied over those years a Lisa Simpson, Miko Miyazaki and Brianesque level of hypocrisy." - OldFrenchDragon
#49Cpt_CommunismPosted 9/25/2011 6:34:15 AM
I don't believe democracy to be the greatest form of government that it's been hyped up as. Democratic government began with the ancient Greeks and even they soon realized the fundamental flaw. Plato held a very low opinion of democracy; he believed the masses to be fools and naturally unsuitable to steer the destiny of a civilization. He argued that the responsibility to rule should only be given to wisest individuals. Aristotle agreed in theory, but pointed out that all power given to a single individual would make him prone to corruption. What I believe is that China may have created a perfect system where power is distributed to those who knows how to use it best while still maintaining control of those in power. Democracy can wait, I want to see how this goes.