This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

States should not cut funds for education

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. States should not cut funds for education
4 years ago#1
Education is really important right now for creating better jobs, and unfortunately our system is a disaster.

Less funds = teachers being paid less and less jobs for teachers. Also discourages students considering an Education major. I was considering going into English Education, but my counselor told me not to bother with the economy right now.

Public schools shouldn't be producing people who just slid through high school. My big problem when I was in high school was that it wasn't challenging enough, teachers literally just give away grades no matter how well you know the material. NCLB let so many students just slide through high school, and graduate still not being able to do read/write fluently and do basic algebra well.

This also creates a whole labor market of high school graduates who aren't really ready for the real world.

If you were in my senior English class, you would not pass until you don't make any spelling errors. Its not spelling errors alone which bother me, its the lack of discipline to try to do something with little room for error, and I don't like the idea that a lot of people are okay with making a lot of errors and become incompetent workers in the real world. This also hurts the job market.

High School should be producing people as disciplined as college graduates. Our labor market would be better if most high school graduates could read/write and do math effectively.
---
www.soundcloud.com/waterseer12
Ambient producer in progress
4 years ago#2
High School should be producing people as disciplined as college graduates.

Good luck with that.
---
NEBRASKA FOOTBALL
Record: (3-0) | Big Ten: (0-0) | Next Game: Sept. 24th at Wyoming (Versus) | Twitter: @HuskerInsanity
4 years ago#3
First things first.

How much funding is needed for education, and how do you know this?

But since nobody here knows this, how do you know whether the current level of funding is too much, too little, or just right?
---
Do your own research!
4 years ago#4
What are you, 40?

I remember my young lad days, where we had to walk to certain locations on field trip days because we couldn't afford to take a bus.

From what I understand, it's gotten even more defunded since then.
---
Jayjs20, you sir are pure comedic gold- Rassium
Thank you, I always try alittle.
4 years ago#5
prezman posted...
First things first.

How much funding is needed for education, and how do you know this?

But since nobody here knows this, how do you know whether the current level of funding is too much, too little, or just right?

http://mat.usc.edu/u-s-education-versus-the-world-infographic/
---
---If I suspect you have an agenda or have no intention of listening, I may not respond to your post. Deal with it.---
4 years ago#6
Republican education model:

1. Cut funding to education significantly.
2. Complain that China/India is ahead of us in test scores.
3. Blame it on liberals/it not being the 1950's
4. ????
5. Profit
---
There's no shame in being ashamed of yourself ~TheGeneralPublic
I love plenty of men. ~the hedonist
4 years ago#7
Chart has some wonky aspects that can be misleading, but it appears that Australia and Finland are doing something right.
---
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.--Albert Einstein
4 years ago#8
Why is does the U.S spend the most on funding for education, but ranks lower then Finland, which spends only $10 billion, on test scores?
---
www.soundcloud.com/waterseer12
Ambient producer in progress
4 years ago#9
They evolved their education systems. Finland treats teachers as highly skilled professionals and treats them with a great deal of respect. Primary and Secondary school are united. More focus is put on the home and its interaction with school. In Australia they have generally high standards and focus more on learner centered education over the traditional lecture type of classroom. Educational theory has figured out for years that these models work better. The American education system is a good 30-40 years behind where it needs to be currently and no one seems to want to update it, they simply want to toss money at the problem instead of re-evaluating and changing how we educate our children. This is made worse by a growing dislike and even fear of education amongst the populace.
---
We rode on the winds of the rising storm, We ran to the sounds of the thunder. We danced amongst the lightning bolts, and tore the world asunder.
4 years ago#10
The US has terrible secondary schools (pre-college) but overall very good colleges compared to the rest of the world. The problem is that this dooms anyone who doesn't go to college to eternal wage slavery or unemployment. This is in line with the US never doing anything about the fact that it has a massive underclass that drags down the country. The tax code, justice system and health care systems reinforce this.

---
Welcome to GameFAQs, the largest 90s styled forum with only a few modern features that nobody asked for.
(edited by sfcalimari)
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. States should not cut funds for education

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived