This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How can Republicans call Democrats anti-military?

#1acolytesPosted 9/24/2011 12:48:46 PM
When Republicans are the ones who feel a portion of said military shouldn't be allowed to serve because of their sexuality? Seriosuly, what good does DADT do? It serves to kick soldiers who want to defend their country out, and discourage others from enlisting because they happen to be gay. Why does it matter what a soldier's sexuality is, if he or she wants to serve and defend? These Republicans don't deserve nto have people risking their lives for them, if they feel some soldiers don't belong because they're gay.
---
"I want your blood...I want your souls...And want 'em both, right now." - Johnny Ringo, Tombstone
#2Magus1947Posted 9/24/2011 1:12:13 PM
Conservatives formed their political opinions during the seventies and haven't reconsidered them since. During the seventies, hippies carried anti-military signs and made movies like Hair. Conservatives who get airtime on television earnestly believe that this is still an accurate portrayal of liberals, and also erroneously believe that Democrats are liberals.
---
In the corrupted currents of this world, offence's gilded hand may shove by justice, and oft 'tis seen the wicked prize itself buys out the law
#3atmasabrPosted 9/24/2011 1:36:00 PM
acolytes posted...
When Republicans are the ones who feel a portion of said military shouldn't be allowed to serve because of their sexuality? Seriosuly, what good does DADT do? It serves to kick soldiers who want to defend their country out, and discourage others from enlisting because they happen to be gay. Why does it matter what a soldier's sexuality is, if he or she wants to serve and defend? These Republicans don't deserve nto have people risking their lives for them, if they feel some soldiers don't belong because they're gay.

Don't Ask, Don't Tell was a compromise policy that, in its time, overturned the ban on gay soldiers serving in the military. It does not prohibit gay people from serving in the military. It forces gay soldiers to lie about themselves and their lives.

This is a great country. We have a hundreds-year history of having great ideals and trying to realize them in reality. You should be thankful we live in such a country.
---
Do your own research!
#4acolytes(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2011 1:46:19 PM
When did I say I don't like America? I love my country, it's just some of its people I cannot stand. Don't Ask, Don't Tell may not strictly prohibit gays from joining the military, but forcing them to, as you said lie about themselves, isn't much better. They still get kicked if they come out, or if people catch onto them.

Also, before anyone gives me that "there's no room for sexual activities in the military" nonsense, that's a stretch. DADT doesn't apply strictly to sexual acitivity, but to homosexuals in general. It's not about is gays are foudn to be having sex with each other while enlisted. You also never hear about soldiers getting kicked out for talking about having sex with women.
---
"I want your blood...I want your souls...And want 'em both, right now." - Johnny Ringo, Tombstone
#5atmasabrPosted 9/24/2011 1:51:33 PM
acolytes posted...
When did I say I don't like America?

You didn't.

However, I think you should be thankful of the good and have faith in the progress instead of being outraged by the bad.

Also, before anyone gives me that "there's no room for sexual activities in the military" nonsense, that's a stretch. DADT doesn't apply strictly to sexual acitivity, but to homosexuals in general. It's not about is gays are foudn to be having sex with each other while enlisted. You also never hear about soldiers getting kicked out for talking about having sex with women.

That all bears some repetition. For some reason there are people who aren't listening.
---
Do your own research!
#6acolytes(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2011 1:58:07 PM
Believe me, I was very happy the day that DADT was repealed, and do see it as great progress. It's a great direction for us to be moving in.

I just get fed up seeing lies being spewed is all. I see the positives in this country, and I love them though.
---
#7Heineken14Posted 9/24/2011 2:22:30 PM

However, I think you should be thankful of the good and have faith in the progress instead of being outraged by the bad.

But the bad won't be overturned if people aren't outraged about it.
---
Do you have anything flashier? I want something that says "I own this room. I own you."
#8Jayjs20Posted 9/24/2011 2:51:40 PM

But the bad won't be overturned if people aren't outraged about it.

+1
---
Jayjs20, you sir are pure comedic gold- Rassium
Thank you, I always try alittle.
#9mizukage2Posted 9/24/2011 3:08:39 PM
Because they feel that being against excessive R&D spending and throwing our troops away in stupid wars means you hate the military.
---
http://gerardwhyte.net/images/misc/reaganomics.jpg
#10TaiIs82Posted 9/24/2011 4:34:33 PM(edited)
Because if they're going to bring up the issue, they can't use the fact that they serve in the military as a shield. They're not immune from criticism just for that. If you want to say that orientation has no bearing on performance, I don't see why I can't oppose what they're doing in their private lives without being told I'm anti-military.
---
Lover of free speech and America. Defender of life, winner on all counts. Oh, and it's a choice.
Top 1% of 261. 6 recoveries, 51 shut ups, 10 losing horns