This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is it politically correct to call black people "African Americans"?

#1Slim_CTASPosted 10/3/2011 10:58:37 PM(edited)
Its actually a form of pretty egregious stereotyping. Huge numbers of "African Americans" in the US aren't African at all. They hail from any number of nations throughout the world where darker skin tones are native.

If we're going to use a general term, we should just call them "black" and consider that politically correct.

Afterall, we call all kinds of nationalities "white" without a second thought.

Sure, both terms will eventually be outdated, but for the nonce, come on, just call them black. "African American" is an absolutely absurd nomenclature to use in the way we do.

---
http://freeblago.forumotion.com/
The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.
#2MondoCapitalistPosted 10/3/2011 11:04:52 PM
I usually say Negro-American, it's a solid combination of antiquated and politically correct.
#3god_of_toastPosted 10/3/2011 11:06:13 PM
Indeed. It makes much more sense to directly describe a discernable trait (skin tone) over assumed heritage (which isnt as discernable or can be rejected by the person in the first place). The world really doesn't make any sense.
---
[USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST]
#4kingshyguyPosted 10/3/2011 11:23:30 PM
I remember Maddox driving home this point in like 2006
#5KradekPosted 10/3/2011 11:24:01 PM
I agree completely with this message and have held this view ever since I was told that we should be calling them "African-American", to which I said, "sure, as soon as they start using Caucasian or Anglo instead of white"
---
If money doesn't grow on trees, then why do banks have branches?~ Mighty_Giraffe
#6OrcaPosted 10/4/2011 3:09:22 AM
And why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?
---
http://www.thebrokenheadphones.blogspot.com/
#7atmasabrPosted 10/4/2011 4:55:52 AM
Because black people used to get offended when people called them black.

Duh.
---
Do your own research!
#8fire810Posted 10/4/2011 5:15:31 AM
the phrase does make seem like they have dual citizenship.
#9ArcystusPosted 10/4/2011 5:17:36 AM
god_of_toast posted...
Indeed. It makes much more sense to directly describe a discernable trait (skin tone) over assumed heritage (which isnt as discernable or can be rejected by the person in the first place). The world really doesn't make any sense.

But society doesn't even get that right. Brown people are called black and beige people are called brown.
---
GameFAQs: Where each user majored in engineering and minored in psychology.
#10BeantownHeroPosted 10/4/2011 5:18:46 AM
Why do they call it Ovaltine? The Mug is round, the jar is round...they should call it Roundtine.
---
BC Eagles (1-4) LSU Tigers (4-0) MSU Spartans (4-1), NE Patriots (3-1) Denver Broncos (1-3) Its back, baby. Grab a beer.