This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Cracked: 6 B.S. Myths You Probably Believe About America's Enemies

#1marvel_fan333Posted 10/10/2011 12:19:09 PM
http://www.cracked.com/article_19461_6-b.s.-myths-you-probably-believe-about-americas-enemies_p2.html

Some pretty good ****. I, for one, am glad to see the North Korea has a great military myth debunked. I'm also quite glad to see that Iran isn't actually that bad as well.
---
TG03's alt.
Insert idea for sig here later.
#2HadriPosted 10/10/2011 12:27:18 PM
Well yeah, it's not true that they have one of the best militaries in the world. It IS accurate that they have a very LARGE military, one that's dangerous enough to kill a lot of people for a short period of time before being overcome by their bad supply situation. But the border fortifications are nothing to sneeze at.

And yeah, nobody should seriously believe that Iran wants to be at war with America. It's pretty much the trumped up sectarian differences with Israel 9 (which no Iranian should rightly give a damn about) that cause tension when they try to build a nuclear bomb...as insurance, probably, against a war with israel and america that they don't really want to fight.
---
Fight the orbits as they drive us
#3SaxonPosted 10/10/2011 12:30:17 PM
All Iran wants is for every Jew to drop dead, right? However, it's more likely that Iran will cease to exist if they ever invade Israel because it will be met with a nuclear response.
#4HadriPosted 10/10/2011 12:33:18 PM
How would they invade Israel? Even their sometimes-buddy Syria granting military access would probably result with both of them at war with NATO within hours. And then they're up against Israel which really is one of the best militaries on the world. It's hard to think of killing all the Israelis as a military objective that...makes any sense, which is probably why it won't happen unless all the governments in the area behave like idiots. Possible, but not likely.
---
#5GreenTreeClubPosted 10/10/2011 12:34:10 PM
Lol, the first page says Ron Paul supports regime change in Iran.
---
Ron Paul 2012 - Restore America Now
#6MephsuitPosted 10/10/2011 12:34:12 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure I agree with the North Korea one. The thing for #1 is questionable to me as well.
---
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/chupelo/gamefaqs2.jpg
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/1905/wtfgq2.png
#7GreenTreeClubPosted 10/10/2011 12:41:26 PM
Just sent an e-mail to the writer demanding him to correct that mistake
---
Ron Paul 2012 - Restore America Now
#8marvel_fan333(Topic Creator)Posted 10/10/2011 12:41:38 PM
Hadri posted...
Well yeah, it's not true that they have one of the best militaries in the world. It IS accurate that they have a very LARGE military, one that's dangerous enough to kill a lot of people for a short period of time before being overcome by their bad supply situation. But the border fortifications are nothing to sneeze at.

I'm aware that they have a lot of artillery pointed at Seoul, right? There is a chance that they could severely damage the city and kill a lot of civilians, but other than that, I don't think there's any real offensive action they could take.

And yeah, nobody should seriously believe that Iran wants to be at war with America. It's pretty much the trumped up sectarian differences with Israel 9 (which no Iranian should rightly give a damn about) that cause tension when they try to build a nuclear bomb...as insurance, probably, against a war with israel and america that they don't really want to fight.

Yeah, the article mentions that Iranian civilians actually have a pretty good view of America. They don't like our government, but like our citizens.
---
TG03's alt.
Insert idea for sig here later.
#9HadriPosted 10/10/2011 5:35:36 PM
Right, and I believe Seoul has planned heavily for that possibility. The shelling of a world economic capital would be very bad, however, unless China wanted to go to war with the US for some reason (they won't) I have very little doubt that the US would achieve air superiority quickly and the DPRK government would collapse shortly thereafter. So an all-out war along the DMZ is probably not what will eventually happen.

As to Iran nobody really wants a war there either. The thing about Iran is that unlike many countries in the middle east they are peculiar for having a lot of the parts of a liberal democracy in place. The theocracy is awful, yes, but it can't survive for many more decades and it's long been US policy to await that collapse.

By rights they should be the regional economic superpower with interests well-aligned with America's. it's their terrible government and hence sanctions and rogue state status that get in the way of that.
---
#10RRtexasranger13Posted 10/10/2011 5:45:01 PM
Read that earlier today, I didn't agree with the North Korean one. North Korea may have outdated military equipment, but thousands of artillery pieces hitting Seoul is enough for for NK to have leverage.