This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

C/D: Romney/Santorum is the inevitable GOP ticket

#1Evil Genius 9Posted 3/20/2012 5:56:35 PM(edited)
I think so. It's become apparent that this is most likely going all the way to the convention without a mathematically guaranteed nominee. It's also pretty unlikely that Chris Christie or Jeb Bush or any of the other GOP "stars" would actually accept the offer of running mate. The lesson of a surprise un-vetted pick was learned with Sarah Palin, so that's probably not the route they will take.

So we have a potentially brokered convention where the leader is a moderate viewed as "electable" but lacks the hardcore right-wing base + a candidate popular with religious conservatives and blue collars (the hardcore right-wing base), who's already well known + the other top picks generally wanting to stay out of this mess + a GOP that doesn't want to go the Sarah Palin route again = Romney/Santorum.

---
"Images of males or females should cover the crotch and anus completely." -- SBAllen, 12/14/2011
GameFAQs
#2Justin2KrelianPosted 3/20/2012 6:01:31 PM
Yeah, I know pundits seem to brush it aside, but it seems like a very possible scenario if it goes to convention. Santorum-Gingrich might have less combined than Romney so that probably won't work, I don't think it'll be a new guy, and Romney-Paul (either Paul) is a lot less likely than Romney-Santorum.
#3Mr SandbagPosted 3/20/2012 6:03:45 PM
XD Deny. It's Romney Rubio. Nothing else. Santorum is a joke, and having him on the ticket will only hurt Romney.
---
You don't got enough sand to back that up!
Cheney '12
#4Justin2KrelianPosted 3/20/2012 6:04:56 PM
^ I agree with that if Romney gets 1144 during the Primaries, but I'm not so sure if it goes to convention.
#5hyoid_manPosted 3/20/2012 6:12:11 PM
I also believe that Romney would not willingly put Santorum on his ticket. It would hurt him. I have made my peace with voting Romney, but Santorum....uh...

Besides I think just today or yesterday Romney said he wouldn't take Santorum as his VP because he's not fiscally conservative.
#6SirThinkALotPosted 3/20/2012 6:17:54 PM
I dont think Palin was a bad a pick for McCain was as bad a pick as most people seem to think. Yes she gets a lot of hate(and rightly so) from the left, but conservitives really seem to like her(or least did during the campaign) for some reason. She didnt cost him the election, with support for Bush's wars and antiterrorism policies diminished and both conservitive and liberal backlash against his bailout plans, a republican victory was pretty much impossible that election. If anything picking Pailin picked him up more votes from conservitives who didnt like McCain and would either have not voted or gone to another party....
---
Read my blog: http://sirthinkalotsthoughts.blogspot.com/
But, no, seriously **** you!
#7Evil Genius 9(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2012 6:23:29 PM(edited)

Besides I think just today or yesterday Romney said he wouldn't take Santorum as his VP because he's not fiscally conservative.

I really don't think what is said now has any bearing on what is actually going to happen later. Even with a primary as acidic and vicious as this one has been, the public has a very short memory and all of that can be erased rather quickly. It WILL become fodder for the Democrats, and I actually think Romney/Santorum is a terrible choice, but they honestly don't have a better choice.

---
"Images of males or females should cover the crotch and anus completely." -- SBAllen, 12/14/2011
GameFAQs
#8hyoid_manPosted 3/20/2012 6:18:22 PM
I also want to say TC, I don't think he needs a "hardcore" conservative necessarily, maybe just someone with a little more warmth and personality that can connect with blue collar voters. The conservatives will vote against Obama.
#9Fat_Dog_MendozaPosted 3/20/2012 7:14:10 PM
Justin2Krelian posted...
Yeah, I know pundits seem to brush it aside, but it seems like a very possible scenario if it goes to convention. Santorum-Gingrich might have less combined than Romney so that probably won't work, I don't think it'll be a new guy, and Romney-Paul (either Paul) is a lot less likely than Romney-Santorum.

I think Rand Paul is a lot more likely than Ron Paul as VP. Rand is less nutty. But I don't think either will happen.

I think a Romney/Santorum ticket is possible. It would be logical for Romney, as it would bring the Republican base back together very quickly. Presidential candidates often choose a VP who is somewhere different on the political spectrum than themselves in order to unify the party. Reagan picked the more moderate Bush Sr., GW picked the more conservative Cheney, and McCain took the much more conservative Palin. It stands to reason that Romney's VP will be farther to the right than himself.
---
Known elsewhere on the internet as BoringSupreez
#10HadriPosted 3/20/2012 7:25:07 PM
SirThinkALot posted...
I dont think Palin was a bad a pick for McCain was as bad a pick as most people seem to think. Yes she gets a lot of hate(and rightly so) from the left, but conservitives really seem to like her(or least did during the campaign) for some reason. She didnt cost him the election, with support for Bush's wars and antiterrorism policies diminished and both conservitive and liberal backlash against his bailout plans, a republican victory was pretty much impossible that election. If anything picking Pailin picked him up more votes from conservitives who didnt like McCain and would either have not voted or gone to another party....

She wasn't a bad pick on paper, but her diva attitude and thoroughly un-serious performance didn't help the ticket. They probably would have lost the election anyway, but she didn't give them the oomph they needed or the the good introduction for a future candidacy they might have hoped for.
---
Fight the orbits as they drive us