This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"No justice, no peace; f*** the police"

#31nocturnal travelerPosted 3/22/2012 11:32:00 AM
So because one cop may have harassed you, therefore most cops are in the wrong? I've been pulled over by some cool as hell cops. Therefore most cops are cool. /yourlogic

Reread my post;

Anyone who still has a positive view on most cops are either willfully ignorant, or have never been wrongfully harassed by one.

Most peoples (usually of color) experiences of cops have been negative.
---
--I understand your opinion. I just don't care about it. ~Jedah--
#32ClutchPosted 3/22/2012 11:35:54 AM
Don't forget that they are also members of a powerful union and that makes it difficult to discipline or fire poor performers until they get caught doing something exceptionally terrible.
---
"The historian looks backward; eventually he also believes backward" - F.N.
#33ColbertFan1337Posted 3/22/2012 11:40:36 AM(edited)
A wise man once said:

You'd rather see me in the pen
Then me and Lorenzo rollin' in the Benzo
Beat tha police outta shape
And when I'm finished, bring the yellow tape
To tape off the scene of the slaughter
Still can't swallow bread and water

---
I am the minotaur. All clowns are the minotaur. All clowns are the minotaur. It will never be your birthday again.
#34SuperCups23Posted 3/22/2012 11:44:14 AM
nocturnal traveler posted...
So because one cop may have harassed you, therefore most cops are in the wrong? I've been pulled over by some cool as hell cops. Therefore most cops are cool. /yourlogic

Reread my post;

Anyone who still has a positive view on most cops are either willfully ignorant, or have never been wrongfully harassed by one.

Most peoples (usually of color) experiences of cops have been negative.

This. But it's heavily dependent on where I'm at and the address that's on my license. In Texas, they were horrible. Around where I live when my address was the West side of Chicago, they were asses. But now that my address is in this neighborhood and they've been sued multiple times for racial profiling, they go out of their way to be cool, which also partially deals with that they think I'm a relative of the only black cop on the force though we look nothing alike and I have a marine corps sticker on my car, which has gotten me out of quite a few tickets.
---
http://sigbanner.e-cigarette-forum.com/sig1/sig.php?start=2012/03/20&rate=20
#35Anti_PhiIosophy(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2012 12:00:06 PM
Red_Ice_Pick posted...
"Occupy Wall Street is a burgeoning (if still somewhat incoherent) populist movement against high finance and inequality. At its best moments it shades towards anti-capitalism and confronting the very state that guarantees the basis of the profit system. At its worst moments it is caught up in all sorts of misconceptions about the locus of power in class society and the role of the police in enforcing property and squelching dissent."

How can this reformist movement be corrected without vanguardism?

I'm under the impression I'm not going to get a serious response, but I'll indulge.

The proposition that the "reformist movement" needs to be corrected with revolutionary leadership boils the question of revolution down to a question of proper leadership, down to a question of Great Men of History, which, any Marxist will recognise immediately as being idealist.

If you think the working class is a passive beast that simply needs to be led by the vanguard to communism, that's your deal, but Marx saw the working class as an active agent in its own liberation.

You seem to take Marxism away from its scientific roots by projecting what we "should" do to fix movements. Marx simply described what does happen, he made no projections as to what people should do, merely what they will. Admittedly, he was obviously of the opinion that this whole movement and such was a good thing, so he would fall into the camp of the revolutionaries when the real movement arrived. But that's the catch, the switch from passive observer to active participant comes when the real movement actually arrives.

So how does the real movement then arrive? That is a lengthy answer for another day, but the point is, we can recognise this already as merely a reformist populist-esque movement, meaning we have no place inside of it yet.

Perhaps material circumstances, like another crisis, will spur the movement to revolutionary levels, that would be an appropriate time to join with talk of "should."
---
http://www.red-marx.com
No bulls***, just Communism
#36JimayoPosted 3/22/2012 12:08:29 PM
Kradek posted...
NoName999 posted...
twitterfriends posted...

Don't paint all cops with a single brush.

The cops are doing a good job of that to themselves. lol

No they're not. The average cop is just a regular guy who probably got started in law enforcement for noble intentions, but after politics and BS he only stays to support his family/self. I will go ahead and say that every precinct most likely has 3-5 corrupt cops (depending on the size), but the whole compound is not tainted by evil like so many people want to act like. Most law enforcement are just regular people trying to survive in this world like us. Do you think they all appreciate their orders 100% of the time? Probably not, but your boss has probably given you orders you didn't like. Did you give him the middle finger and tell him to **** off or did you just do it (general question to anybody)?

I totally support being against individual cops when they use brutality and corruption to afflict pain upon others, but this whole "all police are scum" mentality is just idiotic and infantile in nature.

Yes, they are. When the so-called good cops stop covering up after the corrupt cops then I'll stop, but accessory after the fact makes them just as corrupt.
---
"Now its finally cost effective to drink milk instead of gasoline." - jkceltic7
#37TheRealJiraiyaPosted 3/22/2012 12:10:11 PM
nocturnal traveler posted...
My sister was recently, and a bunch of charges were filed against her unfairly. Fortunately, my family has the one thing that can stand up to such activity: money. I cant imagine what would have happened if my sister had been from a poorer family. Makes me mad to think about it.

Not sure if I should tell the whole story or not. I might make a thread about it at some point.

It is maddening. Makes me consider studying law for the purpose of defending those who can't afford good lawyers.

And if you decide to make a thread about your story, I'll definitely post in it.

That would be a noble cause. While I am happy to have that security if anything goes down, I shouldnt need to depend on my parents' wealth in order to be treated justly by the justice system.

Ill think on it. The thing holding me back is how easily this account could be traced to me (my facebook has been posted all up and down 263 lol) and I dont want to put my sister's deal up anywhere after it was cleaned from her record. Makes me worry. Its probably an unreasonable worry, but you dont love someone as much as I love my little sister without worrying a *little* bit unreasonably :P
---
The Conservative that 261 lets use its bathroom sometimes
Pokemon Black friend code: 2365 5789 0884
#38twitterfriendsPosted 3/22/2012 12:28:46 PM
No one ever said it's never the cops fault. I would say 95% of cops are good and do their job maybe not to the letter of the law but in spirit of it.
---
http://i52.tinypic.com/2pzlbuu.jpg
2011-12 Seattle Seahawks 16-0.
#39JimayoPosted 3/22/2012 12:33:42 PM
twitterfriends posted...
No one ever said it's never the cops fault. I would say 95% of cops are good and do their job maybe not to the letter of the law but in spirit of it.

ACCESSORY AFTER THE FACT

Whoever, knowing that an offense has been committed, receives, relieves, comforts or assists the offender in order to hinder or prevent his apprehension, trial or punishment, is an accessory after the fact; one who knowing a felony to have been committed by another, receives, relieves, comforts, or assists the felon in order to hinder the felon's apprehension, trial, or punishment.

That 95% are criminals too.
---
"Now its finally cost effective to drink milk instead of gasoline." - jkceltic7
#40azuresou1Posted 3/22/2012 12:39:08 PM
Half the people in this topic need to read up on the bystander effect and just how prevalent it is, and while they're at it also the Stanford prison experiment.
---
Face it, Blake Griffin is more a SF than (Rashard) Lewis is - Bullet_Proof_18