This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Man General Motors sure is doing well, glad we bailed them out

#11Evil Genius 9Posted 7/3/2012 11:56:48 AM
GM collapsing would've been a hard enough blow even if our economy wasn't already on fire. The last thing we needed was tens of thousands more people losing their jobs. The structured bailout worked -- GM has posted 9 straight profitable quarters since the bailout. Right now the government doesn't want to sell its remaining stake at a loss, but other investors are still leery and the global economy is still not great. GM's total recovery depends on the recovery of the economy.

---
"Images of males or females should cover the crotch and anus completely." -- SBAllen, 12/14/2011
GameFAQs
#12Barenziah Boy ToyPosted 7/3/2012 1:14:55 PM
Kradek's post perfectly demonstrate his lack of knowledge on how cars are made and how a basic macroeconomic system works.
---
You don't need a treaty to have free trade. M Rothbard
{Self-Hating Token Asian of the Ivory Tower's Zionist Elite}
#13Bond_543Posted 7/3/2012 1:20:08 PM
then all other American car companies die.

is that such a bad thing? most jobs created came from the medical industry and technology industry not the car companies they should have been let fail the only people that wanted it to keep going was the unions,
---
Stop Secular Progressive Dystopias before they ruin America boycott Moveon,MediaMatters,Democracy Alliance,
Think Progress George Soros&OWS=Public Enemy #1
#14chicagogr81Posted 7/3/2012 1:38:27 PM
GM's quarterly financial numbers for period ending March 30, 2012 courtesy of yahoo finance, interesting figures include:

Total shareholder equity = $39 billion
Gross profit = $4.6 billion
Operating income = $996 million
Net income = $1.3 billion
Cash flow from operating activities = $2.5 billion
Change in cash flow = + $1.3 billion

Yeah, they're doing just terrible. Now let's look at the same statistics for Ford, who didn't take bailout money:

Total shareholder equity = $16 million
Gross profit = $1.3 million
Operating LOSS = $1.5 million
Net LOSS = $1.5 million
NEGATIVE Cash flow from operating activities = $1.5 million
Change in cash flow = - $1.3 million

Looks like the free market has spoken.
---
JD/MBA/MS --- GT: Arvs23
In My Lifetime: 1 Lombardi Trophy, 6 O'Brien Trophies, 1 Commissioner's Trophy, 1 Stanley Cup
#15sfcalimariPosted 7/3/2012 1:48:29 PM
Conservatives: Wanting America to fail since 2008.

---
things that work interest us less than things that don't.
--Adam Gopnik
#16YMIHerePosted 7/3/2012 1:51:38 PM
chicagogr81 posted...
GM's quarterly financial numbers for period ending March 30, 2012 courtesy of yahoo finance, interesting figures include:

Total shareholder equity = $39 billion
Gross profit = $4.6 billion
Operating income = $996 million
Net income = $1.3 billion
Cash flow from operating activities = $2.5 billion
Change in cash flow = + $1.3 billion

Yeah, they're doing just terrible. Now let's look at the same statistics for Ford, who didn't take bailout money:

Total shareholder equity = $16 million
Gross profit = $1.3 million
Operating LOSS = $1.5 million
Net LOSS = $1.5 million
NEGATIVE Cash flow from operating activities = $1.5 million
Change in cash flow = - $1.3 million

Looks like the market has spoken.

I didn't research your numbers or anything, but I fixed that last line for you.
#17Orange ClockworkPosted 7/3/2012 2:03:36 PM(edited)
I have never owned an American car and never will.

You're missing out on a lot of great cars, like the Ford Fusion, Focus, Cadillac CTS, etc.

Also, the car with the most American-made parts is the Toyota Camry, and other "foreign" cars fall beneath it, so you may already own an American car.
---
If you build a man a fire, he is warm for the rest of the night.
If you set a man on fire, he is warm for the rest of his life.
#18YouAreCrumbsPosted 7/3/2012 2:02:36 PM
Barenziah Boy Toy posted...
Kradek's post perfectly demonstrate his lack of knowledge on how cars are made and how a basic macroeconomic system works.

I think the strangest bit was the idea of Chevy making GM's parts, since they were both bailed out and they already make identical cars.
---
joey444
We elect Obama and all the capitalists will be executed. This is a legitimate concern of mine. - OMGWTFPIE, 2011
#19KradekPosted 7/5/2012 3:33:19 PM(edited)
Barenziah Boy Toy posted...

1) I'll concede I've never been a car guy, so you're right I don't really know how they're made or the process, other than most assembly lines use robits now. But once again nobody has said why it would be impossible for another company to buy the means of production for GM. The dude I was debating with made it sound like GM would go around demolishing the manufacturing plants instead of trying to liquidate them by selling them off.

2) You'll have to explain to me about this whole macroeconomic system thing, I believe you meant to say microeconomics. You might want to brush up on your definitions.

YAC: Honestly I was just picking any other American car name brand. Mainly I was just trying to use familiar names to paint the picture. I should have just gone with Ford like my instincts told me to.
---
The saddest employees are the virgins who work for Trojan by helping others get some.
#20tasadar24Posted 7/5/2012 6:27:08 PM(edited)
Couple things, first, Kraduk, Chevrolet IS GM. You want to invest in Chevrolet, you buy GM stock, because Chevrolet is just a name under GM, just like Lexus is under Toyota, Infinity under Nissan, Lincoln under Ford.

Second, the numbers that Chicago posted are wrong. I have no idea how you got some of those numbers. Maybe you're misreading them, can't really tell. One thing to pay close attention to is millions and billions in your post, they look very wrong.

So I went over to ameritrade to look over the numbers from Ford and GM(I fail at yahoo finance)
Ford
Market cap 36.5B
P/E 2.02 (this is the price of a share as compared to the earnings on the share, GM is at a premium as compared to ford due to numbers from China and EU not being favorable for ford so the stock is not liked)
Total shareholder equity 16.6B
Q1
Total revenue 32.4B
Operating 1.4B
Change in Cash -1.9B

GM
Market cap 32.2B
P/E 6.0 (this is the price of a share as compared to the earnings on the share, GM is at a premium as compared to ford due to numbers from China and EU not being favorable for ford so the stock is not liked)
Total shareholder equity 39B
Q1
Total revenue 37.7B
Operating 1B
Change in Cash 1.3B

Looking over the numbers, it looks like Ford retired 1.6B in loans during the quarter. Also, when comparing Ford and GM, it should be noted that Ford pays a dividend of 2%, whereas GM does not currently pay a dividend due to the restructuring after the bailout.

(post edited because it changed the formatting on my numbers.)
---
"What kind of dumbass runs from the cops and returns to the scene of the crime a minute later" -asked of a forumite