This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Student who got 'gay cure' sues California over new law"

#11dark lancerPosted 10/4/2012 6:23:46 PM
Related.

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/christian-psychotherapist-loses-case-after-gay-sting-operation/

The catch in this article is that the patient was a gay guy who pretended to want to be cured of his homosexual attractions just so he could get this person in trouble for using therapy to accomplish what he had pretended to want.

I guess freedom of choice doesn't apply to people who want to change?
---
<s>GameFAQs needs strikethrough.</s>
[Papal Crusaders]
#12childofdelightPosted 10/4/2012 7:21:34 PM
dark lancer posted...

I guess freedom of choice doesn't apply to people who want to change?

The deeper question here is: why would somebody want to change his or her sexual orientation?
---
//I`*'\;:;:;/'*`*`{ ~ Light and Love ~ }`*`*'\;:;:;/'*`I\Y/I`'*|~P L~\*'`'I\\
|]I'*'`|:/\:|`'*n*'`{ ~ Blessed Be ~ } `'*u*'`|:/\:|`'*'I[ | ]I`'*|~U R~\*'`I[|
#13dark lancerPosted 10/4/2012 7:40:51 PM
The deeper question here is: why would somebody want to change his or her sexual orientation?

Why don't you ask them?

What's wrong with them wanting to change if they aren't trying to change because they are forced to change?

I think the vocal minority of the gay community feels threatened by gay people who don't agree with them for some reason or another, so that's why they're pushing so hard to control what and how other gay people think.
---
<s>GameFAQs needs strikethrough.</s>
[Papal Crusaders]
#14FunWithAFryPanPosted 10/4/2012 9:22:22 PM
If this conversion therapy is deemed to be harmful (and most mental health professionals agree that it is), then it would be against a therapist's code of ethics to administer the treatment to anyone. I can't ask a doctor to perform a procedure on me that has no medical purpose, even if I want them to do it and even if I can pay for it. Even if I want the treatment.
---
He who strikes with meaning is killed by meaning.
#15Giacomo_HawkinsPosted 10/4/2012 9:30:34 PM
I can't ask a doctor to perform a procedure on me that has no medical purpose, even if I want them to do it and even if I can pay for it. Even if I want the treatment.

Plastic surgery, which adults have every right to get if they want.
---
Will the little voice in the back of my mind screaming "This is a bad idea" please yield the floor. --Mikey
Chivalry be hanged, and so will you.
#16mizukage2Posted 10/4/2012 9:31:13 PM
What's wrong with them wanting to change if they aren't trying to change because they are forced to change?

They live in a society full of people telling them they are going to burn in hell for all eternity for being gay (and then bully and harass them in this life because screw gay people). It is disingenuous to pretend that such a person exists that wasn't forced into it by societal pressure.
---
I mean, i never see the right bash the left on anything because the blame game causes more issues than anything-Josh
#17FunWithAFryPanPosted 10/4/2012 10:06:48 PM
Giacomo_Hawkins posted...
I can't ask a doctor to perform a procedure on me that has no medical purpose, even if I want them to do it and even if I can pay for it. Even if I want the treatment.

Plastic surgery, which adults have every right to get if they want.

Plastic surgery has a medical purpose and isn't harmful. "Converting" one's sexuality doesn't compare in either capacity.
---
He who strikes with meaning is killed by meaning.
#18TheshamenPosted 10/4/2012 11:08:40 PM
TBQH

With how poorly gblt people get treated in our world, I bet many of them wish there was a way to switch.

That being said it's impossible, especially because every attempt at "Change" is usually done on a forced, and gay is bad basis.

I'd be interested in a study where people through ACTUAL medical terms, mentally and physically changed their sexual orientation. Of course the study would have to be orientation neutral and done in a way that doesn't relate orientation to bad or good.
---
I will not change this sig until Alterac Valley is reverted pre-BC http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/969937114
12/21/08
#19mizukage2Posted 10/4/2012 11:20:49 PM
Anyway, while you can't make someone change their orientation, you can certainly make them suppress it. All you have to do is make the stimuli you apply to them more unpleasant then the feeling they get from burying a large portion of their identity and living a lie.
---
I mean, i never see the right bash the left on anything because the blame game causes more issues than anything-Josh
#20TriangularTwigPosted 10/5/2012 12:06:00 AM
it's disgusting that these people are taught to hate themselves so passionately and that people like the TC think its a good thing