This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Aaron Swartz -one of the original founders of REDDIT, commits suicide at age 26.

#41JolteonPosted 1/15/2013 12:44:45 AM(edited)
Words

So "upon further review", you managed to get it even more wrong?

Edit: I'm sorry, but I don't feel I've sufficiently made it clear how ridiculous your statements are. What Swartz did was not the "crime of the century". Jesus Christ. JSTOR not only declined to press charges, but they later (and though prior to Swartz's suicide, tragically, it appears that he had not actually heard the news yet) voluntarily made the decision to do what Swartz had wanted in the first place, and make JSTOR's archives publicly available for all.
---
Is this finally a conundrum that CAN'T be solved by helicopter theft?
#42Saci_SilverlockPosted 1/15/2013 7:43:37 AM
Here’s the letter that MIT president Reif wrote to his community on Sunday.

To the members of the MIT community:

Yesterday we received the shocking and terrible news that on Friday in New York, Aaron Swartz, a gifted young man well known and admired by many in the MIT community, took his own life. With this tragedy, his family and his friends suffered an inexpressible loss, and we offer our most profound condolences. Even for those of us who did not know Aaron, the trail of his brief life shines with his brilliant creativity and idealism.

Although Aaron had no formal affiliation with MIT, I am writing to you now because he was beloved by many members of our community and because MIT played a role in the legal struggles that began for him in 2011.

I want to express very clearly that I and all of us at MIT are extremely saddened by the death of this promising young man who touched the lives of so many. It pains me to think that MIT played any role in a series of events that have ended in tragedy.

I will not attempt to summarize here the complex events of the past two years. Now is a time for everyone involved to reflect on their actions, and that includes all of us at MIT. I have asked Professor Hal Abelson to lead a thorough analysis of MIT’s involvement from the time that we first perceived unusual activity on our network in fall 2010 up to the present. I have asked that this analysis describe the options MIT had and the decisions MIT made, in order to understand and to learn from the actions MIT took. I will share the report with the MIT community when I receive it.

I hope we will all reach out to those members of our community we know who may have been affected by Aaron’s death. As always, MIT Medical is available to provide expert counseling, but there is no substitute for personal understanding and support.

With sorrow and deep sympathy, L. Rafael Reif.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S5XM_DLHo0&feature=plcp
#43VRX3000Posted 1/15/2013 7:57:25 AM
So he broke the terms of service....FOR AN ACADEMIC PAPER. He was making no profit off of it. And the US government wants to sentence him to a longer sentence than murderers and rapists?

Oh bull ****. This was some judge wanting to make a name for him/herself. TOS should be a civil crime at best, not something with a 50 year sentence.

Once again the government proves it has absolutely no clue what the heck the internet even is.
---
I'm really starting to think mods hate me. no...it's official now.
#44SgtInfinityPosted 1/15/2013 11:07:16 AM
He wasn't mentally ill, saying that is just like a slap in the face.

It's clear that he had felt that his options became that, or jail.
#45Superlnfinity45Posted 1/15/2013 11:16:17 AM(edited)
SgtInfinity posted...

Why, do you have some prejudice against people who suffer from mental problems? Mentally ill =/= irrational.

VRX3000 posted...
Oh bull ****. This was some judge wanting to make a name for him/herself. TOS should be a civil crime at best, not something with a 50 year sentence.

Once again the government proves it has absolutely no clue what the heck the internet even is.

No judge sentenced anyone or proposed any sentence. This 35 years figure was the maximum amount of time possible for such an offence. If you hit another automobile, you could possibly face a maximum of 10 years or something for dangerous driving. Nobody is going to give you that in court.

Once again clueless teens on the internet prove they have absolutely no clue how the heck the judicial system even works.
---
He who understands baboon would do more towards metaphysics than Locke. - Charles Darwin
#46Xeno14Posted 1/15/2013 11:44:53 AM
http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/01/15/humanity-deficit/bj8oThPDwzgxBSHQt3tyKI/story.html?s_campaign=sm_tw

highlight

Andy Good, Swartz’s initial lawyer, is alternately sad and furious.

“The thing that galls me is that I told Heymann the kid was a suicide risk,” Good told me. “His reaction was a standard reaction in that office, not unique to Steve. He said, ‘Fine, we’ll lock him up.’ I’m not saying they made Aaron kill himself. Aaron might have done this anyway. I’m saying they were aware of the risk, and they were heedless.”

Good says the hard-line attitude was not unique to his case, but the facts were. People who steal things usually benefit financially from it. Swartz downloaded the material because he believed that such information — in this case, much of it research underwritten by taxpayers — should be free to the public. He did it not to make a buck, but to make a point.

Swartz and his lawyers were not looking for a free pass. They had offered to accept a deferred prosecution or probation, so that if Swartz pulled a stunt like that again, he would end up in prison.

Marty Weinberg, who took the case over from Good, said he nearly negotiated a plea bargain in which Swartz would not serve any time. He said JSTOR signed off on it, but MIT would not.

Elliot Peters, the San Francisco lawyer who took the case over from Weinberg last fall, could not persuade prosecutors to drop their demand that Swartz plead guilty to 13 felonies and spend six months in prison. Peters was preparing to go to trial and was confident of prevailing.

But the prospects weighed heavily on Swartz.

“There was such rigidity with the people we were dealing with,” Peters said. “I couldn’t find anyone in that office to talk about proportionality and humanity. It was driven by a desire to turn this into a significant case, so that some prosecutor could put it in his portfolio.”

---
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/Xeno14/X14/1245103916870.gif
#47DAM 1Posted 1/15/2013 11:48:47 AM
He did it not to make a buck, but to make a point.

Sounds like a case of mind your own business.
---
Osama Bin Laden: World Hide N' Seek Champion 2001 - 2011
"I herp, therefore I derp"
#48funkeepickPosted 1/16/2013 3:29:38 PM
Superlnfinity45 posted...
SgtInfinity posted...

Why, do you have some prejudice against people who suffer from mental problems? Mentally ill =/= irrational.

VRX3000 posted...

No judge sentenced anyone or proposed any sentence. This 35 years figure was the maximum amount of time possible for such an offence. If you hit another automobile, you could possibly face a maximum of 10 years or something for dangerous driving. Nobody is going to give you that in court.

Once again clueless teens on the internet prove they have absolutely no clue how the heck the judicial system even works.

The husband of the head prosecutor has claimed that he was offered a plea bargain for 6 months jail time. If he went to trial he undoubtedly would have gotten much more than that if convicted. There is no way he was going to get off scot free, the only clueless one here is you.
---
"I will never post on 261 again if Ron Paul doesn't get 500 delegates at the very least."
~FPSIreland