This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do MRA types blame rape victims?

#31General_JumaPosted 1/14/2013 2:37:42 AM
Heineken14 posted...
Yeah, that's what I was referring to. Why add the line about "my rapist doesn't know he's a rapist." It makes it seem like either she's using unusual criteria for calling him a rapist or that there was some mitigating factor of the incident that would make the act ambiguous, like perhaps one or both of them were intoxicated. We don't know, because she didn't take a picture of herself holding up another sign that explained what she meant.

It's more of the college frat party mentality of "oh she was leading me on/dressed like she wanted it" scenario of rape that is all to common and just like that topic we're talking about, people immediately start trying to tear down the story of the rapee rather than the raper. A lot of people DON'T think they did anything wrong if they rape a drunkenly unconscious girl because she was flirting with them earlier in the night.

That is of course wrong, but again the context was not provided in the sign, so therefore the discussion turned to generalities with regards to drinking(by both parties), consent, etc.
---
Not comic - animated. For eight years America was ruled by Pinky and the Brain.-Thanatos the Great
#32Darkman124Posted 1/14/2013 2:38:24 AM
Also, gotta say: characterizing all MRA as "woman haters" is remarkably similar to how early feminists were seen as "man haters"

If feminists had the time and resources to dedicate to liberating men from the confines (read: expectations by others) of masculinity as they do women of femininity then there would be no MRA. They don't so MRA exists.

The big mistake MRA makes is viewing feminism as the enemy
---
Fellow creators the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters-- for everything about him is ripe for the harvest.
#33Heineken14Posted 1/14/2013 2:40:40 AM
Heineken14 posted...
Yeah, that's what I was referring to. Why add the line about "my rapist doesn't know he's a rapist." It makes it seem like either she's using unusual criteria for calling him a rapist or that there was some mitigating factor of the incident that would make the act ambiguous, like perhaps one or both of them were intoxicated. We don't know, because she didn't take a picture of herself holding up another sign that explained what she meant.

It's more of the college frat party mentality of "oh she was leading me on/dressed like she wanted it" scenario of rape that is all to common and just like that topic we're talking about, people immediately start trying to tear down the story of the rapee rather than the raper. A lot of people DON'T think they did anything wrong if they rape a drunkenly unconscious girl because she was flirting with them earlier in the night.

That is of course wrong, but again the context was not provided in the sign, so therefore the discussion turned to generalities with regards to drinking(by both parties), consent, etc.

The second post in the topic immediately turned to victim blaming.... granted I THINK it may have been from a known User of Differing Opinion, but it's an all to common thing.
---
Rage is a hell of an anesthetic
#34Heineken14Posted 1/14/2013 2:43:43 AM
My experience with MRA is the bulk of them are not like this and care more about prostate cancer awareness, domestic violence against men and family law.

MRA does have a dialogue on rape but it's about the importance of maintaining innocence until proven guilty for the accused.

Of course any community will attract nuts, and I liken MRA victim blamers (and other such idiots) to radical feminists.

The victim blaming problem extends way beyond MRA of course

Not entirely familiar with the whole MRA scene, but that right there is definitely something I can get behind. Having personal experience seeing someone go through a custody battle, men get the absolute shaft when it comes down to that. It's beyond ridiculous.
---
"You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan
#35FunWithAFryPanPosted 1/14/2013 3:00:18 AM
I know very little of whatever MRA is, but I assume its antithetical to feminism. While I find the A of the MRA to be overstated, there are ripples in the various feminist movements that are problematic. It isn't beyond reproach, so if MRA or whatever is the vehicle that most effectively opens up those channels of criticism then I'm willing to give it some of my attention when people bring it up in earnest.

Yes, this will be the 3rd time in this thread that I will mention Hegelian dialectics, but that's how it unfolds. Thesis->antithesis->synthesis=new thesis
---
He who strikes with meaning is killed by meaning.
#36Thanatos the GreatPosted 1/14/2013 3:57:06 AM(edited)
Why add the line about "my rapist doesn't know he's a rapist."

To make the point that a lot of men think a lot of things that are rape aren't - that it's not rape if the perpetrator is the victim's husband or boyfriend, or if they've had sex before, or if she 'led him on' etc. - or, as in the case on that sign, if she was 'asking for it' by getting drunk. Surveys have borne this out, finding that many men, if asked if they would rape (or have raped) a woman, say no, but if asked if they would have (or have had) sex in certain ways that amount to rape without actually using the word "rape" in the question, say yes. You'd be amazed how many men think that it only counts as "rape" if it involves a stranger attacking in a dark alley.
---
"A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting." - The Doctor
#37ZelkyplantPosted 1/14/2013 4:54:40 AM
MRA types are all beta males and they're mad because girls wont have sex with them so they lash out.

Back in the day, there was a patriarchy that kept women down by preventing them from getting decent jobs and equal pay. Back then, if a woman wasn't married she was forced into poverty, so women settled for beta males just so they could have a decent life. Now that women can provide for themselves the beta males are no longer necessary.
#38PatPunchhard(Topic Creator)Posted 1/14/2013 5:14:48 AM
Darkman124 posted...
Also, gotta say: characterizing all MRA as "woman haters" is remarkably similar to how early feminists were seen as "man haters"

If feminists had the time and resources to dedicate to liberating men from the confines (read: expectations by others) of masculinity as they do women of femininity then there would be no MRA. They don't so MRA exists.

The big mistake MRA makes is viewing feminism as the enemy

Most of MRA's issues would be solved by working together with feminists. Stuff like only men being eligible for the draft, women being viewed as the nurturing mother figure, men being viewed as unmanly of they came forward as victims of rape. Originally MRAs did work with feminists and did stuff like set up shelters for male victims of domestic abuse, but the movement was hijacked by misogynists and now spend their time mocking rape victims and whining about the injustice of the "friendzone" on Reddit. No one who actually understand the issues would identify themselves with that term so they all do tend to be "woman haters", in much the same way most feminists wouldn't associate themselves with second wave feminism due to many second wavers' pathological hatred of men manifesting in awful ways such as rampant transphobia.

Another question based on this topic, what is it about women's issues that turn even the most liberal man into spouting regressive conservative bollocks?
---
Sent from my iPad
http://i.imgur.com/b3LZy.gif
#39PatPunchhard(Topic Creator)Posted 1/14/2013 5:16:59 AM
Nitro378 posted...
I don't know about anyone else but I just want vindictive false rape accusations to end, or at least for there to be a substantial punishment for them.

It's a very rare occurrence and all that will do is make actual victims even less willing to come forward.
---
Sent from my iPad
http://i.imgur.com/b3LZy.gif
#40General_JumaPosted 1/14/2013 5:30:34 AM
Zelkyplant posted...
MRA types are all beta males and they're mad because girls wont have sex with them so they lash out.

Back in the day, there was a patriarchy that kept women down by preventing them from getting decent jobs and equal pay. Back then, if a woman wasn't married she was forced into poverty, so women settled for beta males just so they could have a decent life. Now that women can provide for themselves the beta males are no longer necessary.

Alpha/Beta is stupid **** and discriminatory itself.
---
Not comic - animated. For eight years America was ruled by Pinky and the Brain.-Thanatos the Great