This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Taxpayer dollars must be spent wisely, or not at all.

#1182xenoPosted 2/14/2013 10:57:38 AM
Who terms what is wise or not?

This is a pretty silly proposal.

The only unanimously "wise" budget from tax dollars is that made from a non-elected dictator and his/her appointed staff.
---
GOP - "Obama believes in redistribution of wealth".
So do you - http://www.epi.org/publication/ib330-productivity-vs-compensation/
#12Sniper_Brosef(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 11:01:15 AM
DJStrong posted...
Hmmm, I'm beginning to think Sniper is a troll...

You cannot expect anyone here to hold Bush up as the paragon of fiscal restraint - saying you are for "wise" spending is like being for the children, a strong family, blah, blah.

Actions always speak louder than words and frankly the republicans have been a disappointment on the spending front and I for one have zero confidence that that will change when they get the White House or Senate of both back.

This is now and will forever be a payola democracy (good God I seem bleak, I really am an optimist).

Where did I say Bush was a "paragon of fiscal restraint?"
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#13Sniper_Brosef(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 11:09:54 AM(edited)
82xeno posted...
Who terms what is wise or not?

This is a pretty silly proposal.

The only unanimously "wise" budget from tax dollars is that made from a non-elected dictator and his/her appointed staff.

I'd say most of our governmental spending could be more efficient. From funding thousands of failed defense projects to our failure in spending on education, we have to find ways to ensure our dollars are being spent well, especially with how far in debt we are!
---
#14DJStrongPosted 2/14/2013 11:09:41 AM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
DJStrong posted...

You cannot expect anyone here to hold Bush up as the paragon of fiscal restraint - saying you are for "wise" spending is like being for the children, a strong family, blah, blah.

Actions always speak louder than words and frankly the republicans have been a disappointment on the spending front and I for one have zero confidence that that will change when they get the White House or Senate of both back.

This is now and will forever be a payola democracy (good God I seem bleak, I really am an optimist).

Where did I say you said... forget it

The point is to quote Bush to make a point about fiscal responsibility is not a good move, he is far to polarizing and did not walk the walk. What I am saying is that everyone does agree money should be spent wisely, but we need to establish what that means.

What factors are we looking at? Return on investment, greater good, and many other considerations. Some may argue that by definition you cannot spend another man's money more wisely than he can.

Or we can look at major infrastructure, like highways, that are run by the government - was that wise spending or could the people achieve such a thing (the Lincoln Highway comes to mind).

To be clear the conversation about spending is a good one to have but we need to know what the hell we are talking about first.
---
"On the contrary my friend, we're going to live!"
#15Sniper_Brosef(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 11:11:01 AM
DJStrong posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...
DJStrong posted...

Where did I say you said... forget it

The point is to quote Bush to make a point about fiscal responsibility is not a good move, he is far to polarizing and did not walk the walk. What I am saying is that everyone does agree money should be spent wisely, but we need to establish what that means.

What factors are we looking at? Return on investment, greater good, and many other considerations. Some may argue that by definition you cannot spend another man's money more wisely than he can.

Or we can look at major infrastructure, like highways, that are run by the government - was that wise spending or could the people achieve such a thing (the Lincoln Highway comes to mind).

To be clear the conversation about spending is a good one to have but we need to know what the hell we are talking about first.

Why does it matter who said it?
---
#16Xiahou MaoPosted 2/14/2013 11:11:45 AM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
Why do you blame Republicans? This is actually verbatim from George W Bush's state of the Union in 2005. Here it is in context:

America's prosperity requires restraining the spending appetite of the federal government. I welcome the bipartisan enthusiasm for spending discipline. I will send you a budget that holds the growth of discretionary spending below inflation, makes tax relief permanent, and stays on track to cut the deficit in half by 2009. My budget substantially reduces or eliminates more than 150 government programs that are not getting results, or duplicate current efforts, or do not fulfill essential priorities. The principle here is clear: taxpayer dollars must be spent wisely, or not at all. \

Aside from that this should be something that both parties agree on. The government is FULL of wasteful spending!

Yeah, George W. Bush said that in his address, but we have the benefit of hindsight. Did he follow it? Bush inherited budget surpluses that were created by actual bipartisan work between Bill Clinton and his Republican congress. He then proceeded to increase spending massively by starting two wars with no exit strategy while simultaneously lowering revenue by cutting taxes. Despite his words, he most certainly did not adhere to the stated coda that 'taxpayer dollars must be spent wisely, or not at all'.

No politician is ever going to come out and say "Hi, I'm going to make foolish decisions in spending taxpayer dollars". That doesn't mean they won't actually do so. Republicans are just as guilty as Democrats, if not moreso, in racking up deficits and engaging in wasteful spending. It's just that for whatever reason people think that they're the fiscally responsible party, when clearly they're not.
---
Xiahou Mao, True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
#17Anarchy_JuiblexPosted 2/14/2013 11:13:01 AM
Aside from that this should be something that both parties agree on. The government is FULL of wasteful spending!

Not that I disagree but find $10b in wasteful spending that both parties could agree on.
#18DJStrongPosted 2/14/2013 11:23:35 AM
It matters who said it because it goes to the very core of your argument. It gives the implication that you define wise spending in the same context as Bush, or if you don't then he has a different definition of wisely than you

Hence why we ask: What is your definition of wisely?
---
"On the contrary my friend, we're going to live!"
#19Sniper_Brosef(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 11:35:47 AM(edited)
DJStrong posted...
It matters who said it because it goes to the very core of your argument. It gives the implication that you define wise spending in the same context as Bush, or if you don't then he has a different definition of wisely than you

Hence why we ask: What is your definition of wisely?

No it doesn't as I didn't say who said this until Republicans were brought up as the villains. I cited that this is from Bush's speech in an, admittedly vain, attempt to get people to see that both parties are responsible for where we are at. Do you really need wisely defined for you? This seems pretty self explanatory from my point of view. Our education is average, at best, while we continually outspend other countries per student. This says it better than I can: In 2008, expenditures per student for the United States were $10,995 at the combined elementary and secondary level, which was 35 percent higher than the average of $8,169 for the OECD member countries.

This is just one of the many examples I could provide for proof that our spending is very ineffient and, therefore, unwise.

Italics per: http://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/indicator_ifn.asp
Education rankings per: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/07/us-falls-in-world-education-rankings_n_793185.html
---
#20IamvegitoPosted 2/14/2013 11:40:28 AM
I will not accept the Republican buzzword "wise spending."
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."