This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

As the earlier impact in Russia shows, we are VERY vulnerable to meteorites.

#1goatthiefPosted 2/15/2013 12:44:37 AM
http://rt.com/news/meteorite-crash-urals-chelyabinsk-283/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=b0cRHsApzt8&hd=1

Why aren't more poiliticians into research that could help save us from such things? PS: Turn down your sound for the youtube vid.
#2Kai_LagunaPosted 2/15/2013 12:47:59 AM
Not much we can do really.
#3wolf_blitzer85Posted 2/15/2013 12:57:07 AM
Kai_Laguna posted...

Bull s***. We have lasers and missiles, plenty we can do.
---
Im for the revocation of the 2nd Amendment; guns have no place in society anymore, especially not assault weapons. The police can protect citizens.
#4Kai_LagunaPosted 2/15/2013 1:05:40 AM
Kai_Laguna posted...

A laser might work, but only if we were capable of detecting and accurately tracking the trajectory of incoming meteors/comets at extreme long range. Currently we can not, so trying to shift them away with the heat from a laser wouldn't work.
All a missile would do is turn one meteor/comet into lots of smaller meteors/comets. So instead of a single blow we'd get hit with the cosmological equivalent of a shotgun blast.
#5YermomHoudiniPosted 2/15/2013 1:10:38 AM
the smaller you can split the meteorites, the easier the atmosphere will be able to burn them up.
---
Toy Story 4 trailer, best movie 2015?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGuTN_ilmEk
#6TyIerb7Posted 2/15/2013 1:14:20 AM
Kai_Laguna posted...
Kai_Laguna posted...

A laser might work, but only if we were capable of detecting and accurately tracking the trajectory of incoming meteors/comets at extreme long range. Currently we can not, so trying to shift them away with the heat from a laser wouldn't work.
All a missile would do is turn one meteor/comet into lots of smaller meteors/comets. So instead of a single blow we'd get hit with the cosmological equivalent of a shotgun blast.

you have no idea what you're talking about
#7wolf_blitzer85Posted 2/15/2013 1:16:22 AM
Kai_Laguna posted...
Kai_Laguna posted...

I'm not a science whiz so i'll wait for one to come into this topic and save it from the young earth Creationists.

Nihilism is the worst thing to ever happen to philosophy, i swear.
---
Im for the revocation of the 2nd Amendment; guns have no place in society anymore, especially not assault weapons. The police can protect citizens.
#8ChiroteraPosted 2/15/2013 1:49:56 AM
Kai_Laguna posted...

I've read reports that this thing was actually pegged by Russian air defense.

No idea how true they are yet though.
---
Detroit Red Wings: #9, #12, #7, #10, #1, #19, (#6), (#16), #5
#9B4TT3RYPosted 2/15/2013 5:49:25 AM
Chirotera posted...
Kai_Laguna posted...

I've read reports that this thing was actually pegged by Russian air defense.

No idea how true they are yet though.

Literally mentioned in TC's original link. Unconfirmed, though. If I were Russia I'd take credit regardless.
---
Thank you for posting. Here at the Forum we greatly value your input!- TheHarmfulOne
#10dermoratrakenPosted 2/15/2013 6:32:03 AM
Why try lasers and missiles when obama can just ban assault meteors entirely?