This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The latest trend in pro-abortion thinking

#1Aristotle16807Posted 2/16/2013 7:21:19 AM
http://blog.secularprolife.org/2013/02/embracing-cognitive-dissonance.html

The abortion rights movement has long struggled with a fundamental problem of cognitive dissonance. Most “pro-choice” people are nice, well-meaning folks; they certainly don’t view themselves as the sort of people who would condone violence against helpless human beings. But abortion always requires the violent destruction and disposal of a human being. How, then, to support abortion while staying true to humane values? This is the question.

Abortion advocates begin with the conclusion—support for abortion on demand—and then try to work their way backwards to a justification. For a long time, the dominant solution was to deny the humanity of the unborn child and the violence of abortion. “Clump of cells” was the key phrase. But the denial of scientific facts couldn’t last forever, and as sonogram images became more and more ubiquitous, pro-abortion leaders struggled to maintain a hold on public opinion.

Abortion advocates are now in the midst of a large-scale attempt to reinvent themselves. Their new take? Don’t try to resolve the cognitive dissonance—embrace it!

The idea is to reach out to middle-of-the-road people by acknowledging that unborn children are alive and that abortion kills them—without, of course, reconsidering the premise that abortion on demand must be preserved at all costs. I call this the “abortion is great, as long as we sort of feel bad about it” movement, or the “bat**** crazy” movement for short.

The subscribers to this view actually seem to believe that this cognitive dissonance is a sign of intellectual achievement. They like to think that they grasp the great complexity of abortion, unlike those narrow-minded, plebian “antis.” (Why settle for just being wrong, when you can also be obnoxious?)

This isn’t an entirely new phenomenon—it goes back at least as far as Naomi Wolf’s “Our Bodies, Our Souls” piece in the mid-nineties—but it’s been resurgent lately. From Planned Parenthood’s abandonment of the phrase “pro-choice” (in favor of talking about how golly, abortion sure is morally complex), to Mary Beth William’s infamous “So what if abortion ends life?” article in Salon last month, the bat**** crazy movement is getting lots of press.

Abortion advocates appear convinced that this is the way to bring middle-of-the-road people into the fold. They’d love to embrace abortion; all this time, they’ve just been looking for permission to have ambiguous feelings! So the thinking goes.

But the American people don’t merely want to feel bad about abortions—they want to stop abortions. Polling shows that a majority of Americans—and even a slim majority of self-described pro-choicers—would like to see a ban on abortion in the second trimester (a limitation that cannot happen until Roe v. Wade is overturned). In the third trimester, 79% of self-described pro-choicers join the pro-life side in wanting abortion illegal. And all the various restrictions proposed short of a ban, such as informed consent, waiting periods, parental consent for minors, also enjoy majority support from middle-of-the-road Americans.

All of these limitations are vehemently opposed by the abortion lobby, whatever messaging of the day they’re using. To those who truly understand the tragedy of abortion, they can offer nothing more than lip service. That is why the pro-life movement will continue to win people’s hearts and minds until all human life, born and preborn, is protected.

TLDR - Instead of refuting the value of the unborn human, pro choicers are now embracing that the unborn do have value but abortion should should still be executed but we must feel bad for it.
#2Nitro378Posted 2/16/2013 7:27:43 AM
Roe v Wade will never be overturned, live with it
---
Zombie Clement Attlee 2015
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss300/Tails82x/SFD/sadchromeo6.png
#3I have no namePosted 2/16/2013 7:28:08 AM
REMINDER: Pro-'lifers' don't give half a **** about life. They just want to punish women for being 'whores'. Pro-'lifers' want to arrest any woman who miscarries. They're scum, pure scum.
---
"My show's not a comedy. It's a horrordy. It's called Blood Dumpster."
"Your pilot gave me nightmares!"
#4Aristotle16807(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2013 7:32:23 AM
I have no name posted...
REMINDER: Pro-'lifers' don't give half a **** about life. They just want to punish women for being 'whores'. Pro-'lifers' want to arrest any woman who miscarries. They're scum, pure scum.

Since you are already this delusional I am just going to laugh at you. Now go lift heavy weight.
#5I have no namePosted 2/16/2013 7:37:43 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#6Heineken14Posted 2/16/2013 7:43:49 AM
And the continuing trend in Anti-Choicers is "F*** those whorey women who get pregnant, they should post videos of their sex online and if they are raped need to have something shoved in their genitals in order to have an abortion."
---
Do you have anything flashier? I want something that says "I own this room. I own you."
#7Aristotle16807(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2013 7:43:50 AM
I have no name posted...
Aristotle16807 posted...
I have no name posted...

Since you are already this delusional I am just going to laugh at you. Now go lift heavy weight.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jun/24/america-pregnant-women-murder-charges

Amanda Kimbrough is one of the women who have been ensnared as a result of the law being applied in a wholly different way. During her pregnancy her foetus was diagnosed with possible Down's syndrome and doctors suggested she consider a termination, which Kimbrough declined as she is not in favour of abortion.

The baby was delivered by caesarean section prematurely in April 2008 and died 19 minutes after birth.

Six months later Kimbrough was arrested at home and charged with "chemical endangerment" of her unborn child on the grounds that she had taken drugs during the pregnancy – a claim she has denied.

"That shocked me, it really did," Kimbrough said. "I had lost a child, that was enough."

She now awaits an appeal ruling from the higher courts in Alabama, which if she loses will see her begin a 10-year sentence behind bars. "I'm just living one day at a time, looking after my three other kids," she said. "They say I'm a criminal, how do I answer that? I'm a good mother."

Pro-'lifers' are scum who's only goal is punishing 'whores' for failing at their godgiven duty of babymaking. I know you're too much of a slimy piece of **** to admit it, but we know that's your only motivation.

Big talk. I can squat more than you, now go do some push ups or something cupcake.
#8Nitro378Posted 2/16/2013 7:45:03 AM
stop posting
---
Zombie Clement Attlee 2015
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss300/Tails82x/SFD/sadchromeo6.png
#9Aristotle16807(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2013 7:47:10 AM
Nitro378 posted...
stop posting

Start squatting and I'll think about it.
#10JohnnyTHM1212Posted 2/16/2013 7:47:55 AM
Nitro378 posted...
Roe v Wade will never be overturned, live with it

---
He can swim through matter, he has poisoned teeth
His tentacles have murdered, his scream can kill the weak