This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The latest trend in pro-abortion thinking

#61Heineken14Posted 2/17/2013 8:18:19 AM
*yawn*

Awwww, you gonna cry? Suck it up and go do some pilates.
---
Rage is a hell of an anesthetic
#62SaikyoStylePosted 2/17/2013 8:28:12 AM
Aristotle, if abortion bothers you so much, don't get one. Since you'll likely die a virgin, I don't even get why you're so hung up on the issue.
---
USA Soccer
The north remembers.
#63mystic belmontPosted 2/17/2013 8:31:00 AM
Almost no one besides a select few are worth taking seriously on this board. Debating with people on this board is pointless because no matter what logically way things are spelled out for them they lean on circular logic (play stupid), or change their premises every response instead of defending the truth/inference to their conclusions. This is especially true in the abortion debate. Anyway, this is boring. Really boring.

Are you for the death penalty? Are you anti-war?
---
"Freedom was meaningless without ownership and control over one's own body" -Henry McNeal Turner
[Evil Republican]
#64Zero_DestroyerPosted 2/17/2013 11:38:22 AM
Aristotle16807 posted...
Almost no one besides a select few are worth taking seriously on this board. Debating with people on this board is pointless because no matter what logically way things are spelled out for them they lean on circular logic (play stupid), or change their premises every response instead of defending the truth/inference to their conclusions. This is especially true in the abortion debate. Anyway, this is boring. Really boring.

I'm willing to engage in a civil debate on Abortion as per usual.

My problem with most of the pro-life movement is that the abortion ban would mean all those fetuses they go on about being aborted would be born mostly in poverty, unhappy households, or into a crowded adoption system. If you stack millions of children all around you just end up making them suffer.

The better solution is to look at it from a countrywide stance and seek to improve our sex education systems and have easy contraceptive access especially in more poverty stricken areas of the country. This would help quell STD and teen pregnancy rates and probably the abortion rate as it would help prevent unwanted pregnancies to start with.
---
The Official Shiek Mainer in SSBB.
I am ZERO! The deck maker o' DOOM!
#65MasterEchuPosted 2/17/2013 1:07:48 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#66MasterEchuPosted 2/17/2013 1:26:03 PM
Ok, before I start. people, STOP, PUTTINg, PRO-LIFE. do you know what that term even means? EVERYONE is pro-life, its pro-choice is your trying not to use abortion in the name, thats it. It's really annoying when people spout that term even though its beyond BS, it really takes away credibility.

Onto the point. One of the major(if not -only-) arguments that comes up in this, is the subject of when sentience begins. We all agree killing a sentient being would be bad. There's quite a bit of disagreement in regards to when it's simply a living being, and when it's stepping into sentience.
Now, this argument can be thrown out, why? lets assume both are true for a moment. If sentience is not yet attained, then there is not a big deal to abortion. Now let's say for whatever reason the 'baby' has obtained a sense of intelligence and is more than just, a n existence. what happens then a child is born into a situation that is dangerous, this can go from the mother becoming ill, to...the mother dying, or even the mother having a child out of rape. I could quote a fictional example but, lets go with some common sense instead,

How much of a burden do you think it would be on a child, if his birth was unwanted. You think kids can be cruel now, imagine if they could throw in "your mommy didn't want you, your not loved." Think about what that does to your psychology, not imagine what it does to a child's, even with a good family who tells him otherwise, it still cause serious problems. Now, take it further, what if the mother was seriously harmed or even -killed-. Just imagine if you knew were alive because you killed your mother....not...pretty. A full grown adult would struggle to handle that let alone a small child, and this isn't just children, strong as some people may be, someone is going to hold an internal resentment that the mother died. Even if it's not directed at the child, the child -will- pick it up.

I could go on bu the point is, there are situations where, the child would be born into some terrible situation, no matter that situation(be they put to adoption or otherwise), there situations, including death, seriously financial inability, and...well I can't get worse than death, that would make the child's life very difficult if not dangerous. To place a stagnant ban, or even leave that kind of choice to a judge, is just...it wouldn't work, it cause more problems then it would morally solve. Sorry guys but...abortion may make me sick, but the potential damage is way too common to put a ban on.
---
Morality is not fleeting, games or alternate realities will not change what is right and wrong if you reallly belive in them.
Yes my spelling stinks, quiet!
#67YouAreCrumbsPosted 2/17/2013 1:27:20 PM
Zero_Destroyer posted...
Aristotle16807 posted...

My problem with most of the pro-life movement is that the abortion ban would mean all those fetuses they go on about being aborted would be born mostly in poverty, unhappy households, or into a crowded adoption system. If you stack millions of children all around you just end up making them suffer.

The better solution is to look at it from a countrywide stance and seek to improve our sex education systems and have easy contraceptive access especially in more poverty stricken areas of the country. This would help quell STD and teen pregnancy rates and probably the abortion rate as it would help prevent unwanted pregnancies to start with.

OR we could do abstinence only sex education and show children graphic pictures of STDs in an attempt to traumatize them, like most of the anti-abortion states do.
---
joey444
We elect Obama and all the capitalists will be executed. This is a legitimate concern of mine. - OMGWTFPIE, 2011
#68MasterEchuPosted 2/17/2013 1:36:00 PM
YouAreCrumbs posted...
Zero_Destroyer posted...
Aristotle16807 posted...

OR we could do abstinence only sex education and show children graphic pictures of STDs in an attempt to traumatize them, like most of the anti-abortion states do.

or you could realize those cases are completely insane and very rare, acknowledging that this line of thinking is totally pointless as you're only attacking the rare stereotype that mostly doesnt exist because no sane person does this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXxxM2ijrYg
---
Morality is not fleeting, games or alternate realities will not change what is right and wrong if you reallly belive in them.
Yes my spelling stinks, quiet!
#69hunter_gohanPosted 2/17/2013 1:57:02 PM
Aristotle16807 posted...
How, then, to support abortion while staying true to humane values? This is the question.

No it's not. That's like asking how you can support post pubescent men while staying true to humane values.

But the denial of scientific facts couldn’t last forever, and as sonogram images became more and more ubiquitous, pro-abortion leaders struggled to maintain a hold on public opinion.

lol we deny the scientific facts? Oh I see by that you mean appeal to emotion, literally the only damn thing the women-are-walking-incubators side actually has.

They like to think that they grasp the great complexity of abortion, unlike those narrow-minded, plebian “antis.” (Why settle for just being wrong, when you can also be obnoxious?)

Oh the hypocrisy of someone who uses "pro-abortion" saying this is just palatable.

That is why the pro-life movement will continue to win people’s hearts and minds until all human life, born and preborn, is protected.

Except for the human life where you guys arbitrarily form the line at of course.

SubDeity posted...
Sperm and eggs are alive, but they aren't human.

This is seriously basic biological comprehension and the obtuseness of those who insist there is no different between sex cells and new humans is staggeringly unreasonable and pretty much anti-science as well.

How exactly is a fertilized egg "human", but an unfertilized egg and sperm aren't?
---
The food that stands on his [Odin's] table he gives to two wolves of his called Geri and Freki. He himself needs no food; wine is for him both drink and meat.
#70fudrickPosted 2/17/2013 2:12:05 PM
MasterEchu posted...
or you could realize those cases are completely insane and very rare, acknowledging that this line of thinking is totally pointless as you're only attacking the rare stereotype that mostly doesnt exist because no sane person does this.

I doubt that it's as rare as you seem to think. I was shown those images multiple times throughout middle school, and my school certainly wasn't one that I think would be excessively anti-abortion compared to the average school in the South.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious