This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The latest trend in pro-abortion thinking

#81Evil Genius 9Posted 2/17/2013 7:59:31 PM
I don't think it's necessary to even get into a philosophical or scientific arguments about "life" or "human." All I have to do is just think of the alternative to legalized abortion -- legally forcing every single unwanted pregnancy to be carried to term -- and my reasoning ends there. The latter is ridiculous.

---
SPORTS: Special Olympics T-Ball Stand Pitches Perfect Game...
www.theonion.com
#82jastenPosted 2/17/2013 9:03:04 PM
Evil Genius 9 posted...
I don't think it's necessary to even get into a philosophical or scientific arguments about "life" or "human." All I have to do is just think of the alternative to legalized abortion -- legally forcing every single unwanted pregnancy to be carried to term -- and my reasoning ends there. The latter is ridiculous.

I can only sympathise with the mother if it was rape or medical concerns (again mentally or physically)... but my only answer to those idiots that just dont' want a kid.... keep your damn pants on if you aren't willing to deal with the consequences. Really tired of that excuse being used... show some damn restraint then if you don't want a kid.
---
We are not merely the sum of our parts
#83Zero_DestroyerPosted 2/17/2013 9:17:13 PM
jasten posted...
Evil Genius 9 posted...

I can only sympathise with the mother if it was rape or medical concerns (again mentally or physically)... but my only answer to those idiots that just dont' want a kid.... keep your damn pants on if you aren't willing to deal with the consequences. Really tired of that excuse being used... show some damn restraint then if you don't want a kid.

Consequences are shifted onto the child when it's born.
---
The Official Shiek Mainer in SSBB.
I am ZERO! The deck maker o' DOOM!
#84MegatokyoEdPosted 2/17/2013 9:17:40 PM
I don't really care if it's considered a life or not.

The mother, up to a point, should take priority over an unknown baby who has nothing to offer to the world because he/she hasn't even been born yet

Abortion should be legal up until a certain point, so that the woman will have quite a bit of time to decide, and then it should be made illegal after that point to get one.

Simple and done.
---
Demyx is better than Axel.
http://www.last.fm/user/crazydom
#85GrassyKnoll63Posted 2/17/2013 9:18:37 PM
Abortion is murder.

---
Keeping an open mind.
#86fudrickPosted 2/17/2013 9:21:11 PM
jasten posted...

They are willing to deal with the consequences, that's why they get abortions. That's dealing with the consequences.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#87AngelicTouch99Posted 2/17/2013 9:43:14 PM
fudrick posted...
jasten posted...

They are willing to deal with the consequences, that's why they get abortions. That's dealing with the consequences.

Haha good one. Thats actually not sarcasm either.
#88Flaming_Fire619Posted 2/17/2013 9:52:03 PM
hunter_gohan posted...

SubDeity posted...
Sperm and eggs are alive, but they aren't human.

This is seriously basic biological comprehension and the obtuseness of those who insist there is no different between sex cells and new humans is staggeringly unreasonable and pretty much anti-science as well.

How exactly is a fertilized egg "human", but an unfertilized egg and sperm aren't?

Well biologically, the sperm and the egg carry half the chromosomes needed for a viable human. The moment they fuse and become a zygote they have all the building blocks for a human. From there it's just time.
---
Not changing until Shelton Benjamin wins the WHC Started: Jan. 10. 2009
http://myanimelist.net/profile/fantheflames
#89MasterEchuPosted 2/17/2013 10:31:50 PM
Flaming_Fire619 posted...
hunter_gohan posted...

SubDeity posted...

This is seriously basic biological comprehension and the obtuseness of those who insist there is no different between sex cells and new humans is staggeringly unreasonable and pretty much anti-science as well.

How exactly is a fertilized egg "human", but an unfertilized egg and sperm aren't?

Well biologically, the sperm and the egg carry half the chromosomes needed for a viable human. The moment they fuse and become a zygote they have all the building blocks for a human. From there it's just time.

Yah but the perception of intelligent is a much more complex Issue, and based on perception
---
Morality is not fleeting, games or alternate realities will not change what is right and wrong if you reallly belive in them.
Yes my spelling stinks, quiet!
#90Faust_8Posted 2/17/2013 10:37:37 PM
Flaming_Fire619 posted...
hunter_gohan posted...

SubDeity posted...

The problem with this view is you view "human" as nothing more than DNA strands.

Is a tumor human? Are identical twins the same person? Are chimera more than one person? Isn't there more to being called human than just having the building blocks? Is a schematic a building?

I define human as more than just what it's made of, since in essence we're made of the EXACT same stuff as the entire universe.

Besides, women overall get a quite a few unnoticed miscarriages, so conception is far from a sure thing anyway. If life begins at conception then there are many, many "deaths" that go unnoticed every year through no human intervention. Do these miscarriages get an afterlife? If they're fully human and had real lives, why shouldn't they? If not, then why consider them human?
---
You are the universe
Expressing itself as a human, for a little while