This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Eric Holder: Banning Homeschooling Doesn't Violate Fundamental Rights

#101Evil Genius 9Posted 2/18/2013 11:44:41 AM
Lives are in my hands at my job. If I screw up, people can get hurt and even die.

That's probably the most terrifying and depressing thing I've read in quite some time.

---
International: Chinese Woman Gives Birth to Septuplets; Has One Week to Choose...
www.theonion.com
#102Villain_S_FiendPosted 2/18/2013 11:45:05 AM
Pretty impressive for your... how many years on this earth?

So, with all that, what is it people claim you have a problem with in regards to science (other people can answer too, but I'd appreciate honest responses), and what do you, in fact, have a problem with in regards to the established scientific view of... everything?
---
Opposites attract till they become the same.
#103wallyPosted 2/18/2013 11:47:06 AM
Based on the information that Pie supplied, he's been working since 1983.
---
Home is behind, the world ahead. And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night, until the stars are all alight
#104CC RicersPosted 2/18/2013 11:56:03 AM(edited)
wally posted...
OMGWTFPIE posted...
I was home schooled and am a productive member of society with a STEM degree and career. I've seen much success in life that I directly credit to my home school education.

Even if the argument is made about my social abilities, I think it's easy to point out all of the public school kids who are less developed socially. This is clearly a witch hunt and I think it's counterproductive when considering the future of our country.

You claim to be a scientist, yet all your postings here suggest a complete disdain for the scientific method. Using yourself as an example of "homeschooling works!" probably isn't the best strategy.

The higher education system fails us once in a while.

It's not that I don't believe PIE, but very rarely do I see people here being humble in their defense.
---
Those loonies are gonna blow up the ocean
#105OMGWTFPIEPosted 2/18/2013 11:56:36 AM(edited)
Pretty impressive for your... how many years on this earth?

So, with all that, what is it people claim you have a problem with in regards to science (other people can answer too, but I'd appreciate honest responses), and what do you, in fact, have a problem with in regards to the established scientific view of... everything?

I don't worship science in the way that people here do. I understand its limitations, and they are much more significant than what people here tend to believe.

Yes, you googled the VIF method. Oktay first envisioned the theory, but it was Joe Alia who actually put the science behind it. Oktay was Alia's mentor in graduate school, and it was Alia who took it from thoughts and ideas to actual scientific backing.

I am Alia's primary assistant, and it was my breakthrough in bonding angles affecting orbital energy levels that got us a trip to Mexico to speak on the subject.

EDIT: I wrote the damn wiki page on this by the way.
---
http://narfueconomics.wordpress.com/
http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20090602.gif
#106Villain_S_FiendPosted 2/18/2013 12:12:49 PM(edited)
I don't worship science in the way that people here do. I understand its limitations, and they are much more significant than what people here tend to believe.

That doesn't answer my question. What do you take issue with, specifically, that garnered this ongoing "rivalry"?

If he was one of the co-founders of the formula, he'd have had to be working since before then, but I was hoping to get some idea of years involved from him directly. At any rate I don't buy his story, not least due to the fact that his hubris really isn't compatible with the mindset most often associated with people in his alleged line of work.

I am Alia's primary assistant, and it was my breakthrough in bonding angles affecting orbital energy levels that got us a trip to Mexico to speak on the subject.

EDIT: I wrote the damn wiki page on this by the way.

I don't believe that for a second. As arrogant as you are when claiming the importance of your work, you for some reason didn't include any of those significant details when writing the Wiki article?

You're educated about this stuff, I'll give you that, but the way you go about all these claims says to me that you're an attentive student who's using what he learned in class to create a fake persona on a message board.
---
My steak was so tough, halfway through my meal it got up and attacked my coffee, and the coffee was too weak to defend itself.
#107KwancahiPosted 2/18/2013 1:15:21 PM
"I'm a scientist, I just don't believe in any of the things that scientists believe and have an oft-stated disdain for the scientific method, and have continually shown an inability to comprehend the meaning of the word theory in the scientific field, but you should totally listen to me on absolutely everything having to do with science!"

Hey, let's be fair to PIE here Wally. He thinks you should listen to him on absolutely everything about every subject. He doesn't limit his amazing expertise to science. His chemistry degree makes him an expert on all subjects.
#108KiyomasaPosted 2/18/2013 4:23:22 PM
Why are we arguing about science? Knowing chemistry doesn't mean you know anything about the law.
---
ALL CREATURE WILL DIE AND ALL THE THINGS WILL BE BROKEN. THAT'S THE LAW OF SAMURAI.
#109Heineken14Posted 2/18/2013 4:46:33 PM(edited)
I make a living off of the scientific method

You just completely throw it out the window though when it comes to the age of the Earth, huh.

Edit.
I can't decide which gimmick I enjoy more though. PIE's super scientist YEC or Prezmen's gay Santorum. They're both equally hilarious.
---
Rage is a hell of an anesthetic
#110KradekPosted 2/18/2013 5:09:48 PM
Eastsideslinger posted...
JohnnyTHM1212 posted...
Starks posted...
I have yet to meet a homeschooler who wasn't an insular and antisocial dick.

I know plenty, and am engaged to one. That being said "antisocial" does describe pretty much all of them.

I suppose when you fear that your children are falling under the sway of evil communist muslim homosexual atheist transvestites from Transexual translvania the only way to free them is with home schooling.

I don't know of any children who are home schooled cause of Obama. If there are any, I guarantee it's a very small %. The parents may have been anti-public schooling ever since they were part of it, yet can't afford private schooling. Or they just feel they could do a better job. Or maybe they don't want to risk their kids getting associated with drinking, drugs, and gangs at the age of 12.

Back on topic, I don't think there is a fundamental right to home-schooling, nor should there be. But most home-schooled kids get a decent education, so I don't think it should be banned.
---
I think he means that if Romney was shocked every time he lied, we'd end up with two black candidates ;)- AlucardSX