This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The Catholic Church should let the priests marry

#1CC RicersPosted 2/18/2013 11:59:56 AM
I don't get how that hasn't been their reaction to the child abuse scandal.

it's pretty obviously a case of forced celibacy being a very very bad thing. It's not even a Biblical practice.
---
Those loonies are gonna blow up the ocean
#2SubDeityPosted 2/18/2013 12:07:07 PM
Parents molest their children more often than priests abuse parishioners.
---
"Hamas isn't really a terror organization." -Terran [Evil Republican]
Play Der Langrisser.
#3kmick2Posted 2/18/2013 12:15:44 PM
Indeed, a profession that causes lifelong blue balls generally is going to have it's share of problems.

Remember, despite what some people would like to claim, base biological necessity almost always trumps unrealistic self-imposed deprivation. In the case of celibacy, religious or otherwise, humanity transcends any secondary set of quixotic principles that a person may have.
---
I can walk away from millions because it's not right, but I'll be damned if I'll back an inch from a dime because it has to be so.-Bruce Lee
#4wallyPosted 2/18/2013 12:19:51 PM

While it's horrible that anybody would molest a child...

1) Not every child has a priest. Every child has at least one legal guardian. Two, in most cases.
2) Children spend much more time around parents than priests.

In other words, it's terrible that parents would molest their children, but... well... no duh it happens more often than priests molesting children.
---
Home is behind, the world ahead. And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night, until the stars are all alight
#5YouAreCrumbsPosted 2/18/2013 12:20:13 PM
SubDeity posted...

Parents have more and better opportunities to.
---
joey444
We elect Obama and all the capitalists will be executed. This is a legitimate concern of mine. - OMGWTFPIE, 2011
#6Villain_S_FiendPosted 2/18/2013 12:25:56 PM
It seems to be fairly agreed upon by people who've studied the crimes of the Church that the abuse comes about from a heightened feeling of authority over people; the idea of being "something a bit more than human" as a shepherd of men. Power corrupts, and what power is more absolute than God-given authority over souls and the adoration of the local flock? If it were just an issue of needing a sexual outlet, there are plenty of other ways they could find release. Prostitutes, out-of-town sex excursions, a mutual gratification pact with a fellow priest, etc.
---
"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood ... but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea."
#7HabefietPosted 2/18/2013 1:46:46 PM
I agree with the topic title but for largely different reasons, as it's my assumption that most priests up for molesting small boys wouldn't really be stopped by having a wife.
#8Magus1947Posted 2/18/2013 1:48:59 PM
SubDeity posted...

Religion makes people defend some really stupid **** in some really stupid ways.
---
In the corrupted currents of this world, offence's gilded hand may shove by justice, and oft 'tis seen the wicked prize itself buys out the law
#9atmasabrPosted 2/18/2013 2:01:03 PM
CC Ricers posted...

Huh???

Uneducated and bigoted mindsets like yours are not going to be persuasive on this score.

The proportion of pedophile priests is not different than that of the general population.

Which is unfortunate.
---
Do your own research!
#10YouAreCrumbsPosted 2/18/2013 2:45:13 PM
atmasabr posted...
CC Ricers posted...

Huh???

Uneducated and bigoted mindsets like yours are not going to be persuasive on this score.

The proportion of pedophile priests is not different than that of the general population.

Which is unfortunate.

Yes, but there aren't so many organizations whose reaction to "That man molested my child" is "Sorry, we'll move him to another city so he can pick from a fresh litter."
---
joey444
We elect Obama and all the capitalists will be executed. This is a legitimate concern of mine. - OMGWTFPIE, 2011