This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is paranoia about "gun rights" for protection against crime going up....

#21DJStrongPosted 3/27/2013 2:25:13 PM
Iamvegito posted...
"Going down," but still ridiculously ****ing high for a western democracy. Either America is broken as a country in general, or it's the stupid, stupid gun culture. I'm going with the second one.

I googled 'stupid, stupid gun culture' and didn't get much but I did find an interesting graph when searching for more information, I'm sure it has been posted here before:

http://www.kieranhealy.org/blog/archives/2012/12/18/assault-death-rates-in-america-some-follow-up/

I would sooner argue America has a culture of violence, one that surely includes guns but that cannot be the only factor and incredibly odious to claim it so. It is often said but seems to bear repeating that many of the countries that are not as violent have been historically so in the context of guns and their laws. That is to say England, as an example, had less violent crime before its strict gun control laws than compared to the US.

Of course we are a much larger population, a very diverse one as well.

So you would lay our country's considerable problems at the feet of 'stupid, stupid gun culture'? I feel perhaps the former option would have been more appropriate.
---
"On the contrary my friend, we're going to live!"
#22CyborgSage00x0Posted 3/27/2013 2:54:28 PM(edited)
Sativa_Rose posted...
Iamvegito posted...
"Going down," but still ridiculously ****ing high for a western democracy. Either America is broken as a country in general, or it's the stupid, stupid gun culture. I'm going with the second one.

Gun culture has nothing to do with it. Gun nuts aren't committing the crimes. The problem is with poverty, gangs, and drugs. The mix of those three is what fuels the violence.

Stop spreading this lie. Good old domestic violence and assault are a HUGE amount of gun violence, having almost nothing to do with what you mentioned. Stop spreading the lie that "law abiding citizens" don'tdo horrible stuff with their pieces all the time. Pro-tip: They do.

Although the TC brings up a good point. Shouldn't less people be owning guns now, since there's less reason for them, with falling crime and all? In fact, gun ownership has never been lower than it is now, and the falling of gun ownership coincides almost perfectly with the fall in crime and violence over the years:

http://www.people-press.org/2013/03/12/section-3-gun-ownership-trends-and-demographics/

It's almost as if having less guns in general leads to less crime and violence. Shocking!
---
Currently playing: Borderlands 2, LoL, Super Mario 3DS, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Pokemon White 2, NSMB3DS.
#23IamvegitoPosted 3/27/2013 2:56:31 PM
Love all the conservatrolls responding with unveiled racism. Says a lot about your position when your answer is "It's because America is diverse (which codes for "has black people" here). Those damn minorities with their gangs, poverty, and drugs!"

Racist right at its finest.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#24RedcountPosted 3/27/2013 2:57:51 PM
GoemonFan471986 posted...
Criminals menacing?
A lady alone?
Deterrence requires.
More than a phone.

I love these!
---
Going to Saskatoon to catch an all ages Ahnabith Gish show for 15 Canadian dollars. Maybe I'll get a wrist band so I can drink a refreshing Molson's - Orca
#25IamvegitoPosted 3/27/2013 2:59:43 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#26DJStrongPosted 3/27/2013 3:01:47 PM
Iamvegito posted...
Love all the conservatrolls responding with unveiled racism. Says a lot about your position when your answer is "It's because America is diverse (which codes for "has black people" here). Those damn minorities with their gangs, poverty, and drugs!"

If you truly believe that I do feel sorry for you. If you are trolling 6/10 because I responded and do feel genuine pity.
---
"On the contrary my friend, we're going to live!"
#27RedcountPosted 3/27/2013 3:04:29 PM
Here's one for you:

Addiction to violence?
Irrational fears?
Just give me my guns
And take rights from "queers"

Hmm, I don't really like that one. Considering that I'm an advocate for equal rights for homosexuals, and proud of Canada's equal marriage rights, it doesn't really resonate with me.

One thing I do advocate for is homosexual gun rights. What's the best way to prevent hate crimes against homosexuals? Homosexuals with guns. You can't go gay bashing with a belly full of lead.
---
Going to Saskatoon to catch an all ages Ahnabith Gish show for 15 Canadian dollars. Maybe I'll get a wrist band so I can drink a refreshing Molson's - Orca
#28IamvegitoPosted 3/27/2013 3:20:18 PM
If you truly believe that I do feel sorry for you. If you are trolling 6/10 because I responded and do feel genuine pity.

If you can't see through the hidden discourse, you need to get acquainted. The conservatroll posts here are rife with Faux News trigger words.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#29AceVanquishPosted 3/28/2013 5:59:21 PM
Iamvegito posted...

Well it is a fact that most crime happens in America's big cities. Gangs and organized crime don't exist in rural environments and gated communities. You can ignore the facts because they're politically incorrect but it's the truth.
---
http://i.imgur.com/imGAY.png
http://lostfacts.net
#30Thanatos the GreatPosted 3/28/2013 6:01:23 PM
Crime has been rapidly declining over the last few decades. The places where crime is the highest in the US tend to meet one or both of these descriptions:

1) Extreme poverty

2) Strict gun control laws

Nowhere in the US has strict gun control laws.
---
"A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting." - The Doctor