This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should the federal government even have laws regarding marriage?

#31Valnor50Posted 3/28/2013 6:40:58 AM
Marriage does predate many religions that use it. But most people are arguing against gay marriage for religious reasons.
#32MysteryMan2000Posted 3/28/2013 7:16:50 AM
azuresou1 posted...
The government can't determine from a bird's eye view what a good relationship is. Seriously, there are 300 million people living in the US, there are bound to be good domestic partnerships and terrible marriages. In lieu of government monitoring the status of every single relationship, the number of marriages should serve as an approximate indicator of overall good relationships.

It does not, especially when you consider divorce rates.

82xeno posted...
"If 'they' get to marry, then NO ONE SHOULD GET BENEFITS!"

That's what this topic kinda sounds like.

That's not at all what I'm saying. I'm saying that everyone will benefit equally if the State would leave marriage alone. Even with this new marriage equality act, only married couples benefit. The unmarried couples, polyamourous relationships, and singles will not. That includes gay couples who chose to keep the State out of their personal affairs, gay polyamourists, and gay singles. One popular unit in the gay community is the gay triad. Three consenting gay men living under one roof. How will they benefit from this new patchwork legislation? They love each other equally, but they would have to exclude one of them in order to gain benefits.

We would still be operating under a big government, social far-right framework. No progress is being achieved, we're just reinforcing State intervention into our personal matters.
#33Sniper_Brosef(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2013 7:27:55 AM
82xeno posted...
"If 'they' get to marry, then NO ONE SHOULD GET BENEFITS!"

That's what this topic kinda sounds like.

But to be honest, as a single working guy, it sucks that I pay so much in taxes when I get the least benefit, and I always thought it was unequal anyways, so I have agreed even before this current hoopla of gay marriage.

I have no problem with gay marriage, I said in a previous topic that I thought banning gay marriage violated their first amendment rights so know that this was not how I intended this topic to be interpreted.
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#34TaiIs82Posted 3/28/2013 10:34:47 PM
The family is the foundation of society, the natural order, and it is in the government's best interest to encourage it.
---
Hero/Legend of 261. Lover of life, free speech, etc.
Providing trickle-down knowledge since 2009
#35lastheroPosted 3/28/2013 10:37:04 PM
TaiIs82 posted...
The family is the foundation of society

Prove it.
---
X-Men: First Class RPG - Welcoming all new players!
[http://s1.zetaboards.com/New_Mutants/index/]
#36TaiIs82Posted 3/31/2013 8:14:27 AM
Nobody gets hatched from a pod and raised by the collective. Do I have to prove water is wet next?
---
Hero/Legend of 261. Lover of life, free speech, etc.
Providing trickle-down knowledge since 2009
#37mystic belmontPosted 3/31/2013 8:40:02 AM
The family is the foundation of society, the natural order, and it is in the government's best interest to encourage it.

Yes, which is why gays should be able to marry and adopt.

Glad you agree with me on this.
---
"Freedom was meaningless without ownership and control over one's own body" -Henry McNeal Turner
[Evil Republican]
#38Flaming_Fire619Posted 3/31/2013 8:42:53 AM
TaiIs82 posted...
Nobody gets hatched from a pod and raised by the collective. Do I have to prove water is wet next?

It'll be only a few years until we can probably incubate humans, almost like we do with chicken. We can form fertilized eggs outside the womb, it's not too far fetched to believe that it'll be possible to develop children outside the womb completely in due time.

As for the question at hand, no, it really isn't based around religion. Yes, you can use religious practices when it comes to the actual ceremony, but that's just that. It's a ceremony, nothing more. At the base, anyone can get married if they have the proper witnesses and sign the marriage license. You can be done with the marriage in like 10 minutes
---
Not changing until Shelton Benjamin wins the WHC Started: Jan. 10. 2009
http://myanimelist.net/profile/fantheflames
#39Magus1947Posted 3/31/2013 8:47:09 AM
blacktrance posted...
you know, I think a lot of the child-related ones seem

necessary

Parental rights need not have anything to do with marriage.

Man and woman get married.
Man and woman have child.
Man and woman get divorced.
Who gets the child if man and wife can't decide between themselves?
Bam, a parental rights case inseparable from marriage.
---
In the corrupted currents of this world, offence's gilded hand may shove by justice, and oft 'tis seen the wicked prize itself buys out the law
#40Magus1947Posted 3/31/2013 8:48:37 AM
Valnor50 posted...
Marriage does predate many religions that use it. But most people are arguing against gay marriage for religious reasons.

I think the real reason boils down to the ick factor and religion is just the excuse.
---
In the corrupted currents of this world, offence's gilded hand may shove by justice, and oft 'tis seen the wicked prize itself buys out the law