This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should the federal government even have laws regarding marriage?

#51thegreatsquarePosted 3/31/2013 2:26:47 PM
ryan0991 posted...
Marriage is one of the 7 sacraments of Catholicism. Even if you wish to make a differentiation between the civil marriage and the religious act sanctifying vows, all the protest by religious conservatives should tell you that they see the process of civil marriage as an extension of the religious ceremony. When religious conservatives claim their religious rights are under attack by changing the definition of marriage, they are saying they see the government practice of civil marriage as the defacto enforcement of their religious principles by government mandate.

I understand how they think. They're still wrong though.

Ok, but if you think you have a right and you enjoy tangible benefits and privileges from that perceived right, even if it is just by the happenstance of society, don't you essentially have it?
---
Q9450@3.2GHz - HD5970- ASUS P5N-D - 4GB Mushkin 950MHz -Prolimatech Megahalem-Corsair 750TX -CM590- SAMSUNG 2343BWX 23" 2048x1152 - Creative X-fi - SRH440
#52Flaming_Fire619Posted 3/31/2013 2:29:22 PM
thegreatsquare posted...
ryan0991 posted...
How is this a bad topic?

His basic premise was wrong. This was pointed out countless times. I'm not sure why this is difficult for you to understand. I will quote it below in case you missed it.

marriage is a religious concept and act

Marriage is one of the 7 sacraments of Catholicism. Even if you wish to make a differentiation between the civil marriage and the religious act sanctifying vows, all the protest by religious conservatives should tell you that they see the process of civil marriage as an extension of the religious ceremony. When religious conservatives claim their religious rights are under attack by changing the definition of marriage, they are saying they see the government practice of civil marriage as the defacto enforcement of their religious principles by government mandate.

Noooo...marriage is NOT one of the 7 Sacraments. Holy Matrimony is. Just because the Conservatives are using religion as a way to try and stop homosexual marriage does not make it holy.

If you're going to call marriage one of the seven sacraments, that means you need to take the right of marriage away from Jews, Islamics, atheists, agnostics, Taoists, Shintoists, Janists, and the list goes on.
---
Not changing until Shelton Benjamin wins the WHC Started: Jan. 10. 2009
http://myanimelist.net/profile/fantheflames
#53ryan0991Posted 3/31/2013 5:02:21 PM
Ok, but if you think you have a right and you enjoy tangible benefits and privileges from that perceived right, even if it is just by the happenstance of society, don't you essentially have it?

I'm not really sure what you're asking.

All I'm saying is that marriage, as sponsored by the government in the US, is not a religious institution.
---
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/newblack/BOBtheMASTER.jpg
Could care less = you care at least somewhat. Couldn't care less = you don't care at all.
#54thegreatsquarePosted 4/1/2013 1:40:28 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#55MasterSplinterWPosted 4/1/2013 3:07:24 AM
Magus1947 posted...
Valnor50 posted...
Marriage does predate many religions that use it. But most people are arguing against gay marriage for religious reasons.

I think the real reason boils down to the ick factor and religion is just the excuse.

People don't come right out and say it, but I think a lot of people still just have a lot of hate for gays.
---
Sometimes all you learn in defeat, is that you have been defeated. -Master Li------GT: DirkaDurkaJihad