This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

In theory, our government is such a beautiful thing

#1azuresou1Posted 3/27/2013 4:27:06 PM
Every law abiding citizen with a right to vote.
Every state sending forth elected representatives to determine the policies which will push the nation forward while representing the interests of the state.
A president selected by the people as an ultimate decision maker for the policies set forward by those representatives.
A tribunal of the finest legal minds of the land ensuring the constitutionality of those policies, headed by the supreme student of the law.

It seems so... perfect. Where does it all breakdown?

... it's because collectively as a species we're all idiots, right?
---
Face it, Blake Griffin is more a SF than (Rashard) Lewis is - Bullet_Proof_18
Formerly Known As SSJ5Vegeta
#2Valnor50Posted 3/27/2013 4:33:22 PM
It breaks down when profit-mongerers infiltrate and tamper with it.
#3Nitro378Posted 3/27/2013 4:34:41 PM
It's time to end the disastrous democratic experiment.
---
Zombie Clement Attlee 2015
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss300/Tails82x/SFD/sadchromeo6.png
#4azuresou1(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2013 4:40:51 PM
It breaks down when profit-mongerers infiltrate and tamper with it.

All people are 'profit-mongerers' as you call them. That's called greed, which is a pretty basic human instinct.

Which actually now that I think about it does actually make us idiots in the modern (first) world, where we mostly don't have to deal with any real issues. So... point for you I guess?
---
#5Valnor50Posted 3/27/2013 4:55:52 PM
Survival is instinct, greed is not.
#6blacktrancePosted 3/27/2013 4:58:30 PM
When the theory is based on unrealistic assumptions, it shouldn't be surprising when it's not predictive.
---
"With enough brutal force the thieving rabble can be kept in line." - Rebelscum
#7azuresou1(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2013 4:58:32 PM
I suppose so, but if not quite an instinct it is at the very least pretty primal sin.
---
#8Valnor50Posted 3/27/2013 5:04:36 PM(edited)
I'll agree that greed is primitive, as in something that we can move beyond. Most of us anyways.
#9azuresou1(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2013 5:11:01 PM
I think that's where we begin to disagree. Greed sets in as soon as you start wanting a little more than your neighbor.

Now, not to say that there aren't colossal levels of greed that are actually kind of ridiculous, but I find that greed is as simple as wanting that bigger slice of pizza just because it tastes good, and there are obviously many different levels in between. I believe that everyone has experienced that base level of 'greed,' and that level will change based on the temptation of the prize, ease of opportunity, and a number of other factors.

Simply put, I don't believe anyone dead or alive could resist the absolute temptation of greed.
---
#10CalintaresPosted 3/27/2013 5:14:27 PM
It breaks down when you have a "winner-takes-all" election system.

Such a system ensures you'll get a two-party system, and that in turn ensures unhealthy partisanship, and eventually consumes and warps all the virtues of what should be a good system.
---
Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do and die.