This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

More government waste amidst sequester

#1TaiIs82Posted 3/29/2013 12:20:45 AM
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/03/27/Under-Obama-U-S-Spends-1-18-Million-On-Puppets

Canceling tours of “the people’s house” saves taxpayers an estimated $18,000 a week, or $936,000 a year.

Putting that figure in perspective, the U.S. federal government has spent more on puppets and puppetry-related expenses than it would cost to fund an entire year’s worth of White House tours.

Yes, puppets.

From 2009 to 2013, the U.S. government has spent $1,188,382 on puppetry-related expenses. Some of the expenses include puppet shows for kids on educational topics. Others include puppet-based research. In 2010, the taxpayer-funded National Science Foundation awarded the University of Central Florida a $199,754 research grant for “Efficient Control and Transmission of Digital Puppetry.”

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/feds-spending-880000-study-benefits-snail-sex

The National Science Foundation awarded a grant for $876,752 to the University of Iowa to study whether there is any benefit to sex among New Zealand mud snails and whether that explains why any organism has sex.

So far, the grant has paid out $502,357, according to NSF, and could pay out the full $880,000 between now and 2015. The study is funded through what NSF calls a continuing grant meaning that it agrees with the researcher to fund a certain amount, but can end up spending more on the grant if NSF agrees that more money is warranted.

Can't afford to mail out social security though! Can't afford to keep prisoners in jail! Can't afford to operate air traffic control towers!

I have a great idea: if the government's going to keep holding the American people hostage and threaten them with revocation of services, how about we get the government out of all those things so they can no longer order us around?
---
Hero/Legend of 261. Lover of life, free speech, etc.
Providing trickle-down knowledge since 2009
#2lastheroPosted 3/29/2013 12:34:55 AM
Neither of these things have anything to do with sequestration.
---
X-Men: First Class RPG - Welcoming all new players!
[http://s1.zetaboards.com/New_Mutants/index/]
#3CountPopeulaPosted 3/29/2013 2:49:42 AM
lasthero posted...
Neither of these things have anything to do with sequestration.

The Republicans are SO MAD that White House tours got cancelled, though.
---
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. - Voltaire
#4bfslick50Posted 3/29/2013 9:50:29 AM(edited)
What's wrong with using puppets for educational purposes? Or are we protesting education spending in general?

Also, white house tours were free? I thought that was a money generating program like all tourist attractions.
---
"Something's wrong! Murder isn't working and that's all we're good at." ~Futurama
#5Tw1L1ghtSpaklePosted 3/29/2013 9:45:24 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#6KwancahiPosted 3/29/2013 9:48:02 AM
"WAHHHHH! A completely inconsequential amount of money is being spent on science, that I the average republican voter do not understand the significance of. Therefore, we should cancel that funding because it sounds weird and I don't understand it! WAHHH!"

I know it's Tails, but that is a real argument that I am sick of idiots making, and I am sick of the media making "here is a weird science experiment that yokels will laugh at and fail to comprehend because they have no comprehension of how academia operates. Be outraged by its existance!" stories a thing we have to deal with.
#7cactus117Posted 3/29/2013 9:51:05 AM
bfslick50 posted...
What's wrong with using puppets for educational purposes? Or are we protesting education spending in general?

I think theyre upset about sesame street again.
#8CountPopeulaPosted 3/29/2013 9:53:13 AM
The funny thing about "look at what they're spending money on instead of White House tours" is that the sequester cuts took money out of all departments equally. The White House tours were cancelled because the Secret Service needed to make cuts, and it was either cancel the tours or take the money out of the agents' paychecks.

All this supposed "waste" is from other departments, so doing them or not doing them (and it should be noted these expenditures all happened before the sequester cuts anyway) would have no effect on the Secret Service budget.

All this crowing is basically because congresspeople can't schedule tours for their donors.
---
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. - Voltaire
#9LuigisBroPosted 3/29/2013 9:59:06 AM
and if the Repubs really want to cut spending they can save billions by getting rid of oil subsidies
---
2013 megatons - 3DS redesign with no 3D, WiiU flops, DS player for WiiU, no new PS or Xbox, MH4 flops
#10TaiIs82(Topic Creator)Posted 3/31/2013 8:43:46 AM
Be outraged by its existance!

I'm not outraged by its existence, I'm outraged our government feels the need to blow money on such projects when we're trillions in the hole and rising. If academia can't recognize the merits of these no-doubt amazing and unquestionable scientific studies, if they can't pay for their amazing studies themselves, why should we?
---
Hero/Legend of 261. Lover of life, free speech, etc.
Providing trickle-down knowledge since 2009