This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should the government license polygamous marriages?

#1RandomActofFailPosted 3/29/2013 5:16:00 AM
Just curious what 261's thoughts are on this.
---
"Whoever becomes imbued with a noble idea kindles a flame from which other torches are lit"
~Henry George
#2IamvegitoPosted 3/29/2013 5:18:26 AM
Why not? Consent is consent.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#3xeionpPosted 3/29/2013 5:27:28 AM
Yes. However, everyone most be married to each other, not just one person married to multiple people.
---
Superman loves Louis Lane and Spider-Man loves Mary Jane Watson-Parker
DC and Marvel are equally disassociate with their fan base.
#4RandomActofFail(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2013 5:43:08 AM
Yeah, I always envisioned polygamous marriages as 1 of 1 sex, 4 of the other (historically usually 1 male with several females). However, I suppose group marriage arrangements could also be addressed by the state.

Then again, at that point it may be useful to simply divorce the concept of marriage from the state.
---
"Whoever becomes imbued with a noble idea kindles a flame from which other torches are lit"
~Henry George
#5765351Posted 3/29/2013 6:15:51 AM
if you oppose polygamy you are a bigot!
---
http://i.imgur.com/51k3UQQ.jpg http://i.imgur.com/DFXeEey.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/pQBmc9B.jpg http://i.imgur.com/HITrFIo.jpg
#6I have no namePosted 3/29/2013 6:40:15 AM
The only problem with polygamy is that it could be abused to give marriage benefits to hordes of people. Imagine the ****storm if someone married a hundred Mexicans and sponsored them for immigration.

Morally theirs nothing wrong with a consenting relationship between multiple people. It'd probably be legal already if they had better PR. The only polygamists you ever hear about are creepy mormon cults were girls are raised to think their duty in life is marrying an old man at 13 and being his slave.

Incest is much trickier. The common argument that they'll produce idiot children with webbed feet smacks of eugenics. I'm ignorant of the law, but I'm pretty sure we let people with genetic conditions we know they'll pass on have children. My big worry is a child being brainwashed into submission like those fundy cult girls. A relationship between siblings of roughly the same age wouldn't be more abusive then a normal one, but I find it hard to believe someone would date a sibling ten years older than them or, ew, a parent without being coerced and groomed into it.
---
"My show's not a comedy. It's a horrordy. It's called Blood Dumpster."
"Your pilot gave me nightmares!"
#7GFGmerlinPosted 3/29/2013 7:15:33 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#8RanzohPosted 3/29/2013 7:57:40 AM
I have no name posted...
The only problem with polygamy is that it could be abused to give marriage benefits to hordes of people. Imagine the ****storm if someone married a hundred Mexicans and sponsored them for immigration.

Morally theirs nothing wrong with a consenting relationship between multiple people. It'd probably be legal already if they had better PR. The only polygamists you ever hear about are creepy mormon cults were girls are raised to think their duty in life is marrying an old man at 13 and being his slave.

Incest is much trickier. The common argument that they'll produce idiot children with webbed feet smacks of eugenics. I'm ignorant of the law, but I'm pretty sure we let people with genetic conditions we know they'll pass on have children. My big worry is a child being brainwashed into submission like those fundy cult girls. A relationship between siblings of roughly the same age wouldn't be more abusive then a normal one, but I find it hard to believe someone would date a sibling ten years older than them or, ew, a parent without being coerced and groomed into it.

Imagine the outbreeding potential that would have. Anyway, it would make both supremacists and liberals have their own share of happiness. Only problem is that the girls who are gold diggers won't have their share of their estate and end up probably having to fight over your will or life insurance. Don't get caught up with the femme fatales.

I'm for same race marriages(this constantly gets confused with tendencies to be incestutous marriages). I noticed gamers were into incestuous thoughts as well, since it was like one of the women they had the easiest access to. This is also their fantasy to not share their women though. I guess it takes back the power of the word inbred though.
#9Shanty_IrishmanPosted 3/29/2013 7:58:29 AM
Equal rights
---
amateuronamateurs.wordpress.com
My Teams NY Yankees | Notre Dame Fighting Irish | NY Rangers | Brooklyn Nets | NY Giants |
#10CountPopeulaPosted 3/29/2013 8:21:50 AM
In most places where polygamy is legal, polyandry is not. There may be places where this is not the case, but I'm not aware of any offhand. Most cultures and religions that practice polygamy do so with the implicit understanding that women are property.

Polygamy presents a whole slew of problems, and the "three forward thinking people who all love each other" thing is very rarely the case.

I really don't have a good answer for this, but I thought those points were worth considering.
---
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. - Voltaire